Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-14, 10:09 AM  
bfit

Has anyone done a Jazzercise class?

I think I'm going to quit my water aerobics class since I really dislike the new instructor we have, and I'm looking for a new group experience to go to a couple of times a week. Has anyone done a Jazzercise class? Is it fun? And how difficult is it? I'm over 50, but I'm pretty advanced. I don't do a lot of high impact, but I do burpees, kettlebells, heavy weights, etc. There's a class near my house that I've peeked in at a couple of times, and it looks sort of easy. Also, I don't like complex choreography so how complex is it? I'd appreciate hearing about any experiences anyone has.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 11:38 AM  
atticus
VF Supporter

I Jazzercise! I’ve been taking classes a few times a week for about a year now.
The choreography is not difficult, although it is not just drills. In my experience, the instructors are terrific with their cuing and if you don’t catch on with the first couple of moves, the routines have enough repetition (but not too much) that it’s easy to catch on.
The instructors generally show low impact options and it's easy to increase or decrease the intensity as you see fit. The classes are usually about 35 minutes of cardio followed by 20 minutes of weights and stretch. (They are introducing some new formats though, including “fusion” which alternates the cardio and weights.)
The enthusiasm and encouragement in the classes is terrific, and the music is fun! I don’t ever get the sense of competition that I have found in some group classes.
Most facilities will let you try a class for free, or you can just pay for one class. I think if you got a good workout from your water aerobics class, Jazzercise could be comparable.
HTH!
Old 03-18-14, 05:21 PM  
iheartsts

I took Jazzercise classes years ago and absolutely loved them! The instructor was great, music was current and fun, and everyone in the class was like one big happy family!

The moves were definitely easy to follow and I loved the whole format of cardio followed by weights. The floor work was always a killer! You could modify as much as you wanted, and there was never a feeling of competition.

I think you'll have fun. Enjoy!
Old 03-18-14, 06:15 PM  
sunday

I don't know if this counts, but I, my mom and grandma took a Jazzercise class together in 1981.

I am completely inept at choreography, but I and everyone else did great.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 06:30 PM  
deesharee

I was a Jazzerciser for years. I miss it, quite frankly. The diverse music, the choreography, the weight training combined with the cardio, and the camaraderie. The floor work was killer, indeed! A little Pilates, some yoga... I had a four pack and the cueing by the instructors was usually quite good.

I moved so I joined a nearby gym, and workout at home too, but I do miss Jazzercise!
Old 03-19-14, 04:18 AM  
ldj

My sister got certified to teach Jazzercise and to support her, I attended her classes. I thought I would have a hard time buut I had alot of fun. The music is great and because each song had a set of steps, you could pick up the routine. I am not much of a dancer but I could do Jazzercise and release the dance diva in me.
ldj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 10:57 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I took Jazzercise classes back in the 80's. It was a lot of fun.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 12:14 PM  
BigBadBetty

It's been over 20 years. I loved it when I went. It wasn't complex choreography...I am very uncoordinated. We had the best instructor (Debbie - I can't believe I still remember). Sometimes, there would be subs. It would still be enjoyable, but it wasn't as good.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 12:57 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I take both Jazzercise and Zumba classes. With both, it depends on the instructor. Both classes have a different routine for each song. There is enough repetition so that you probably would get the choreography for each song. What usually happens is that the chorus has a set of moves and then the verses has a different set of moves. I prefer Zumba since it's a little more intense (could depend on the instructor) but Jazzercise is fun too.

Tags
jazzercise