Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-14, 08:27 PM  
4leftlimbs

Cardio that's neither kickboxing nor dance?

I've been relying a lot on kickboxing for my cardio, and I've been thinking about switching it up a bit so I don't end up getting sick of it. What's a good, fairly intense (intermediate to low advanced) cardio workout (no weights) that's not a kickboxing or dance workout (I'm choreographically challenged, so dance routines are not for me)?

(Not sure if this would apply, but I'm also not into pilates and barre at this time.)

Thanks!
4leftlimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 08:37 PM  
sbh

I really like Kelly Coffey-Meyers 30 Min. to Fitness Cardio Quick Fix. I think her Plateau Buster has a cardio only premix too.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 09:52 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

drill based workouts. Breathless Body (all three of them), for example, has three levels you can pick from for each drill. So, you could do an intermediate/low advanced version of the workout. Amy usually does the mid level herself with a less advanced version on one side and a more advanced version on her other side.
Old 01-25-14, 08:26 AM  
tangerine

I like Prevention's Walk your Way Slim. Not sure if it qualifies as advanced but they show 3 levels and one of them is pretty tough.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-14, 08:36 AM  
buffmama

Step?
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-14, 08:45 AM  
deineira

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4leftlimbs View Post
I've been relying a lot on kickboxing for my cardio, and I've been thinking about switching it up a bit so I don't end up getting sick of it. What's a good, fairly intense (intermediate to low advanced) cardio workout (no weights) that's not a kickboxing or dance workout (I'm choreographically challenged, so dance routines are not for me)?

(Not sure if this would apply, but I'm also not into pilates and barre at this time.)

Thanks!
Maybe some workouts in Cathe's LIS series or XTrain would appeal to you. These have several workouts that are more drill based, you go from move to move using weights, bodyweight, plyo to do your cardio. She has one "boxing" workout in the XTrain Series, which you might like, or you could skip.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-14, 06:20 PM  
4leftlimbs

Thanks for all the responses! I had a brain freeze when I asked the question last night. I forgot that there's a lot of HIIT workouts on Youtube, particularly Fitness Blender, that I could do as my cardio, non-kickboxing workouts.

sbh - I should take a more careful look at KCM's cardio-only workouts. I have a few of her others.
A-Bot - Those Breathless Body workouts seem too intense for me! Although I didn't realize an intermediate modification is shown - they all look like they are going full out when I've looked at the clips in the past.
tangerine - I haven't done a lot of walk workouts, just a few here and there in the past, probably b/c I feel like I'm not getting enough of a workout. But I'll check out clips for the one you mentioned.
buffmama - I don't have a step at this time.
deineira - I was thinking of cardio-only workouts, because I do have days that I dedicate to weight training (although some do include cardio). I build strength fairly easily (especially in shoulders and upper arms) so it's nice to have days where no weights are used.
Old 01-26-14, 06:18 AM  
violingal3

Another vote for the Breathless Body workouts! The clips may not show it, but before each move she takes the time to show the three levels you can work at, so these are completely doable/modifiable for all levels.

Cathe has some good ones from her Shock Cardio (Cardio Core Circuit, HIIT), LIS or XTrain series to check out, too!

You could check out Ruthless, too.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-14, 06:30 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

If you want an intermediate cardio workout, Michelle Dozois has an oldie but a goodie called Rockin' Body Cardio Jam. It's a series of athletic cardio combinations strung together. I think there may be one combo with a few punches and kicks, but it's not true kickboxing.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-14, 08:15 PM  
4leftlimbs

Thanks, violingal3 and Laura!

I don't like instructors who yell, so I don't think Ruthless would be for me.