Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-13, 07:41 AM  
karenl

Speaking of jari love

If I have Margaret Richard, do I need Jari Love? They are both high rep, so what's the difference between them, if any?

Karen
karenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 06:01 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I like Jari Love but the only workout of hers I have and really like is the original Get Ripped. I have been hit and miss with Margaret Richard in the past but I am really liking her now. I have only tried her All My Best compilations but they are very suitable for me, I have Sculpture too but haven't tried that one yet.

They are both hi rep light weight but their styles are quite different. Jari has the bright lights and outfits, the hip music. Margaret is more laid back, she has quieter music and more subdued settings etc. For lower body Margaret does more floor work than standing, at least in the videos that I have tried.

Margaret works your muscles really well but in a gentle manner, she is all about being good to your joints and bones. Not that Jari isn't but Margaret is more gentle and calmer overall.

That said I do like both of them, in fact they are the two that I primarily use for hi rep light weight stuff. I met Jari in person at a Border's years ago and she was super nice, makes me feel kind of bad that I don't like more of her workouts. But Ripped is one of my all time favorites so I have one gem from her anyway.

Not sure if that helps, hopefully others will chime in too...
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 06:24 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Karen, I don't know if you read it but I replied to your question on the other Jari thread.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 02:43 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I just looked for some Margaret Richard clips. Is all her stuff compilations from the old Body Electric? What I found - even at Collage - looks really old.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 07:52 PM  
juberann

I agree, JoniO........I hear Margaret's name alot around here and I have watched the clips of her videos and I just don't get it I am sure she has solid routines but, YAWN, not sure I could handle what appears to be an ultimate snoozefest to me. I am not one to be looking to be entertained by workout videos but Margaret doesn't even have decent music. Not putting her down or anything.......I just don't get what the big deal is
Old 04-25-13, 09:30 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

It is fun to be reminded of how I used to dress for the gym, though.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13, 11:03 PM  
ldj

I only have the older Jari Love dvds and she is lifting anywhere from 8 to 12 lbs. I think she goes lower for shoulder work, 3 to 5 lbs, if my memory serves me correctly.

I also have some of the older Margaret Richard dvds and I am not sure what she is using but I couldn't go heavier than 4 or 5 lbs with her stuff because she just goes on and on.

Both give really excellent workouts so it really depends what you are looking for.

Margaret has a dance background and you see that in her workouts.

What I think Margaret excels in is floorwork for the lower body. Really tough stuff for me. If you like floor work, then stick with Margaret.

Lara
ldj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 06:11 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj View Post
I only have the older Jari Love dvds and she is lifting anywhere from 8 to 12 lbs. I think she goes lower for shoulder work, 3 to 5 lbs, if my memory serves me correctly.

I also have some of the older Margaret Richard dvds and I am not sure what she is using but I couldn't go heavier than 4 or 5 lbs with her stuff because she just goes on and on.

Both give really excellent workouts so it really depends what you are looking for.

Margaret has a dance background and you see that in her workouts.

What I think Margaret excels in is floorwork for the lower body. Really tough stuff for me. If you like floor work, then stick with Margaret.

Lara
I appreciate the gentleness and safety aspect in her workouts too. As I age these things matter more and more to me. I appreciate the slower pace too, especially with the floorwork. It's tough! I don't mind the dated stuff either, I have a lot of workouts from the 90's, even some from the 80's.

But I have been hit or miss with her too, so I plan to just stick with the few workouts that I have. Last year I was dissing her and Tracie Long, now I am liking both of them again, but only have a few from each one.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 07:36 AM  
JENILU

I've done both here and there and I would compare them this way:

Jari - If you want more modern music and want to be energized (almost a cardio aspect). This one would be more fun to do for me, if I have the energy to get through it.

Margaret - From what I have, she is very isolated and I don't feel a cardio effect(nothing wrong with that, just different than Jari). Music is more of an easy listening radio station type. After hers, I almost feel sleepy, or like I've done yoga. Most DVD I've seen of hers are for 25-30 min. episodes done in 2 splits. But I haven't had or seen that many.

Hope that helps. I like them both, but feel different from both. Both are knowledgeable and give good tidbits- maybe Margaret a little more than Jari on that?
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-13, 09:52 AM  
karenl

Thank you all so much for your replys and opinions. Although I'm tempted to get a Jari Love I think I'll hold off and just stick with Margaret Richard right now. Yes Margaret is more laid back but she does quietly kills you especially in Home Improvement!!!

Karen
karenl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hi rep, jari love, margaret richard