Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-12, 04:47 PM  
rosepetals

Smile Yoga Jellies

I recently started doing the Ultimate Yogi workouts. My body loves the workouts with the exception of my wrists and hands. Its the plank position and downward dog that does them in. In the Ultimate Yogi workouts, Travis has you doing lots of planks, chaterungas for the hour workout. My body loves the improvements in strength that his workouts have given me. But doing the workouts makes the hands and wrists ache even more fiercely than doing Tracy Anderson workouts.

In my search to find something to reduce the pain I purchased Yoga Jellies. http://www.yogajellies.com/default.aspx I ordered them on sale from opensky a membership group. If you want an invite, let me know, pm me. I received $15 off the regular price when open sky sent me a coupon.

"YogaJellies are a set of 2 discs that cushion and support any weight bearing area of the body. These 5.5-inch discs are made out of a non-toxic and latex-free silicon-based material."

They feel like the gel kitchen gel pro mats that are shaped in a manner to cut down on the strain on the hands, knees, feet. Well they absolutely work. I love them. It feels really good on my wrists now to use these.

I did lots of barre last year which triggered metatarsal pain in the ball of my foot. Nothing worked for padding my foot enough to decrease the pain. I tried these and no pain. I can now raise up on the balls of my feet without pain. It means I can get back to adding barre workouts back into my routine.

The circle adds support so it feels like I can balance better in some poses like tree. I tend to be wobbly. It has enough traction that I don't slip in downward dog. I didn't slip on my Manduka pro, but my hands were sore. It's probably my age affecting the joints. Travis Eliot has you do a move in the tabletop position where you extend your leg out and opposite arm doing crunches. I found I can balance better using these jellies.

I just thought I would share. They are expensive, but they feel so nice. I will be using these in all my yoga workouts.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 04:58 PM  
Honeydew

ooh, interesting!! so no wrist pain with these?? I might have to save up for a pair!!
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 08:25 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Nice!!!

you may have just saved my UY from the trade/sell pile
Old 05-08-12, 09:33 PM  
Castella

If you don't mind measuring, can you tell how thick these are? I checked the website and it says the circles are 5.5" (diameter I assume). I've tried using rolled up and folded cloth before, and padded gloves, but they didn't work. I guess my problem is really a reduced ability to bend my hands at the wrist.

These look great though! Are they non-skid?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 10:09 PM  
rosepetals

The measurements are complicated. If you look at the photo, it has a raised rim that measures 13/16 of an inch at the fattest point according to my husband's computerized caliper. It was too wide to reach the slightly scooped bowl like middle to measure the thickness.

Its a nice amount of padding. Then it curves inwards slightly. I experimented with it finding the raised area is what helps to take the strain off the hand and wrist. The curve of it is gentle so it provides relief from the stress placed on the hands. When I put it on the flat area alone, it isn't as effective if that makes sense, but it still helps greatly. The flat area is not as thick as the curved raised area but is still very nice. It is the whole design of the jellie that makes it effective along with the material it is made out of. I am happy that it is not made out of an inexpensive foam type surface.

From the curved raised area which has an appropriate width, it tapers down towards the base gently.

The surface where you put your hands, knees, feet, or other body parts feels grippy to me. There was absolutely no slipping no matter what position I used it in. If I had a yoga mat made out of this stuff I would be in yoga heaven.

Today I completed an hour of UY with tons of planks and downward dogs using this. It made yoga a joy. I also used it beside my foot for the triangle pose where one arm is down and one is up. It was very supportive and it felt like I could get deeper into the pose as I seemed more balanced due to its grip.

I tried it under my knees and it felt great. My heel tends to hurt when I do a sitting forward bend. I tried placing it under it, no more pain. Normally I have to put a shirt or pad under it. Also one leg tends to roll out when I stretch in this position which hurts my knee. With the jellie it stabilized my foot enough that I did not experience my rolling of the knee. Normally I have to stabilize my knee with sandbags to prevent rolling. I also found it felt really nice increasing my enjoyment of the pigeon pose when placed under my foot.

The jellie feels slightly sticky but does not leave stick on your hands. It gives nicely to my body weight in downward dog, but is supportive. The base that goes on the yoga mat grips down on it without damaging it. It also gripped the carpet when I tried it in downward dog.

According to the instructions. It says before using was with soap and water for a couple of weeks. Also to clean off your mat with a standard mat cleaner following your workout. It says it releases a tiny bit of residue that should be cleaned off. Do not store your jellie on the mat overnight.

When I was done practicing I did not see or feel any residue on my manduka pro mat or the carpet. I did clean it as they suggested since my mat was a big investment.

I would love to have 4 of these to use in various position. However, since I did not know how I would like them I only ordered two. They were on sale for $15 off on that page I mentioned in my first post which really helped.

In a heartbeat, I would purchase this again. Hopefully I can save up soon for another pair.

I feel like I am rambling trying to describe the product, but I hope it helps you to get an idea of what it is like. The only thing I can think of that comes close to the feel of it is a gelmat at bed, bath and beyond. They are extremely expensive. They don't have the curved rim which is very helpful.

Oh, I also like having my fingers free, not encased in gloves.
Old 05-08-12, 10:10 PM  
rosepetals

NoraKate, I thought I was going to have to give up on UY until these.
Old 05-08-12, 10:51 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Rosepetals

I also have wrist issues when I do yoga - mine is more wrist than hand issues - it's like there's too much compression when I'm in down dog. I bought those pricey gloves (http://www.wristassuredgloves.com/) and they didn't help at all. Can you tell me more about why your hands/wrists hurt when doing yoga? I'm trying to figure out if these would help, and I hate to spend more money on something that doesn't work.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 11:38 PM  
rosepetals

oops duplicate.
Old 05-08-12, 11:42 PM  
rosepetals

Ok, my first post was eliminated without me knowing. So here is another try. As far as I know I have no issues with my hands or wrists. My labs for arthritis come back negative. (the neurologists tests regularly.)

I believe it is just from holding the down dog so long, doing them frequently during UY, and all the plank moves. I never had any issues until then.

Last year I did T.A. for part of a month with some tenderness, but nothing like what I feel with UY. Probably it's old age.
Old 05-09-12, 08:06 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Pricey but I am very intrigued. Thank you for posting about these. One of these under the tailbone could be a lifesaver for some of the Pilates poses, too.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tracy anderson, travis, wrist issues, yoga, yoga jellies