Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-20, 08:45 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I love it. Heather Robertson does it really well. Walking Online Workouts also is good at it.
Old 11-18-20, 08:56 AM  
sherry7899

I am good with it as long as I can follow the hand cues. I like it for simple cardio.

The you tube channel fabulous fifties the instructor does talk, but she uses a buzzer/beep to signal a movement change, and I don't care for that. It is a very jarring sound. Since she's talking anyway, I'd rather her just verbally inform us of the change.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 09:15 AM  
bubbles76

I think if the instructor is very expressive and the music is pretty good, then I don't mind if there's no verbal cueing. I love Christi Taylor's Pure Spice Cinnamon, because it's obvious she's having fun. Plus the choreography is simple enough and her non-verbal cueing is good. However, I could never follow Tracey Anderson. It really seems like she is there to perform for you, not like she's working out with you. At least in her earlier stuff. I have never tried to follow her later workouts.

I much prefer verbal instruction. There are some youtube videos I've tried that haven't had it and they have been pretty good. I like verbal with my strength workouts, mostly for form cues and encouragement.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 12:33 PM  
kat999

I prefer verbal for strength training for form pointers, even if it's a workout I've done for ages, because sometimes I'll zone out, whereas other times I know I need to pay attention and focus. My cardio is primarily walking workouts that I boost with my own jogging intervals, and for those I almost always mute the TV and play podcasts. If I get a new one, I'll do it with audio on the first time, and then that's it.
Old 11-18-20, 01:38 PM  
Gams

I prefer hearing the instructor’s cues, probably because I like the feeling of being in a class. I prefer hearing the instructor and also having background exercisers.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 08:33 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I've gotten into a couple of instructors recently who do simple cardio workouts with good music and the gestures are fine. The good music is the draw.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 09:44 PM  
seabliss

I like them a lot! Love Heather Robertson, whose chill vibe is perfect for me right now during COVID. I already know form and don't need someone telling me what to do. I also get tired of hearing the same chatter on repeat listens. I've gotten stronger with Heather already (and I was using Fitness Blender before).

Also like this guy, whose smile and attitude while walking are infectious. I don't need talking with these simple moves.
Old 11-18-20, 10:14 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I've gotten into a couple of instructors recently who do simple cardio workouts with good music and the gestures are fine. The good music is the draw.
Yes, I love just getting into the music!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 10:30 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
The good music is the draw.
The music has caught my attention with some short dancy videos that people have been posting. Very fun!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-20, 09:29 AM  
tiletha444

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayd View Post
I think some instructors do this because of the language barrier or their accent. Caroline Girvan is from Northern Ireland and has an accent which some may find hard to understand. Another lady I like who does a lot of hiit workouts is from Germany.
This is an excellent point.

I like that there are more non-verbal / hand cuing exercise videos out there. I am a sign language interpreter, and it's great to be able to refer our high school P.E. teachers to some of these videos to use. They provide equal access for our deaf students, and the hearing students seem to like them as well.
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cueing