Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-14, 10:26 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

4leftlimbs, you sound a lot like me! I usually only do dedicated cardio once per week; the only other cardio I get is the incidental aerobic effect from some of my strength workouts (or some cardio/strength intervals).

I like kickboxing, but I don't want to do it all the time. I'm also choreo challenged, and although I like some dance DVDs, I tend to get bored with them and trade them. I tend to string a longer cardio workout together from various shorter segments, including my recumbent bike. Right now I have a few Leslie DVDs that I like (I can get tired of her easily too, but I haven't found any other walking DVDs that I've really liked), KCM's Start Here (the cardio is mindless, and I like the cardio/sculpt portion), a couple of Firms...that's about it! I guess I could use some more suggestions myself.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-14, 11:05 PM  
bfit

The old Charlene Prickett low impact workouts are great. They have big arm and leg movements and simple choreography. Many of them are in a beautiful outdoor setting too. A good long one (45 minutes of cardio) is Low Impact, High Intensity. There's also an old VHS workout with Gay Gasper called Fat Burning for Dummies; it has 15 minutes of showing you some basic steps and then a 30 minute workout that's fun but easy to follow. I don't know if it's on DVD.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-14, 11:24 PM  
ldj

How about Petra Kolber's Bootcamp Boogie? There are some kicks and some punches but not straightforward kickboxing. Also her Cardio for Beginners. It has a dance section but its not like Jennifer Galardi's dance dvds or Zumba. Its more dance flavored if I remember right.

You could also take a look at Michelle Dozois' Walk Your Way Slim.
ldj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 05:11 PM  
4leftlimbs

Thanks, everyone!

toaster - I've never considered myself a cardio fan, but my favorite workouts are those that alternate between strength and cardio - they just feel more complete to me. For some reason, though, I consider them more as strength workouts than cardio, so I have one or two days per week that's just for cardio. (When I used to go to a gym, I did like working out on the elliptical.)

I don't know if I'm the only one, but the one thing that annoys me about kickboxing workouts is having to hold my hands in fists all the time. I try to take a break from that only to have the instructor to quickly remind me to keep my hands in a fist! I guess I don't have to have to, but...wouldn't this compromise the effectiveness of the workouts??? (j/k)
4leftlimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 10:11 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I used to agree about enjoying cardio/strength mix workouts too, but I'm not crazy about those anymore--mainly b/c I don't like the cardio portions! Now I prefer to do more "pure" strength workouts or strength that gets the HR up, like kettlebells.

I don't find that all of my kickboxing workouts require keeping the hands in fists. For example, KCM's kickboxing workouts usually alternate upper and lower body, so even though you are generally supposed to keep your "arms in guard," you don't really have to maintain fists when you are doing the lower body stuff.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 10:41 AM  
mtnmom

If one of the KCM's you have is Bootcamp, the cardio premix is awesome! Some of the moves are very sports inspired.

If you want a longer cardio workout, you might want to have a look at BodyFit 360. It is described as a blend of yoga and dance, but it isn't "dancy". I would describe it as "fluid". Take a look at the clips and see if it might work for you.