Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-14-21, 07:54 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - Never Take a Job Where Winter Winds Can Blow Up Your Pants. Feb. 14

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 08:17 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I considered Valentine's Day themes, but no one here seems to be big into the day, so I stuck with my winter trend. The quote is by Geraldo Rivera.

Today is gray, dreary, rainy day #5. The plan for today is to hunker down and hang out together. I will pick up lunch from our favorite restaurant. We were going to try a new restaurant - well, new to us - but I didn't feel like testing their gluten-free capabilities on Valentine's Day. It may be a busy day for them.

Anita - You find some cool stuff to do/watch online. I hope you get enough of a break in the temps for Gus to get a longer walk in this coming week. It's good you aren't having to shovel, at least.

Paula - Yeah, we've been here long enough that I've learned to count on it warming up some once every few days. It's good you are able to get out for walks and other activities.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 02-14-21, 09:24 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on putzing around the house trying to stay warm - it's -16 F out there right now - brrrrrrr! I'll try walking Gus a bit when it gets warmer, but today will be the coldest day this winter and likely still in double negative digits.

Laura, love your theme of the week - appropriate for this freezing day! Although retirement in those temps isn't fun either . I'm not doing much V Day celebration either, so appreciate it not in the theme. I don't know how busy the restaurants will be today due to the holiday. Ours are slowly opening at a 50% occupancy rate. I assume trying to get in there will need a reservation. Yeah, I'm very glad not to have to be outside shoveling on top of this cold.

Paula, I loved the Asheville portion of NC - didn't go to the Biltmore, but knew it was there. I was there for a bike ride in the mountains through REI. Frankly I walked in town - no car, so didn't want to walk the length of driveway to get to that Biltmore house . At WRC, many bats are single occupants in their kennels or aquarium, but sometimes if found in groups, they like being together as a pair in either aquarium or kennel - they encourage and learn from each other to eat the mealworms and like the company - more reassuring to them. I did report one pair fighting a lot last week and I think they probably got separated. I think the single bat numbers were a bit over 100. It's a LOT to have to take care of. The new bats get put in aquariums to be individually hand fed - that takes a LOT of time. The kennels just have a container of mealworms put in so much faster - there were 16 aquariums yesterday.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 09:27 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout today (if you can call it that) was Yin Yoga with Travis Eliot and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Today was grocery day, the usual stuff. We didn't do anything special for Valentines Day. I baked Sourdough Maple Wheat rolls this afternoon, we each had one with dinner and declared them a winner. Actually the recipe called for honey, which I never have, so I substituted maple syrup and they came out fine. I've learned from watching YouTube videos on bread making that honey and maple syrup are interchangeable in a recipe. I always have maple syrup so that's easy.

Laura, thanks for getting us started. Your theme outlines one of the goals of my life. One of our favorite restaurants has reopened for patio dining so we'll probaly go there for our anniversary later this month - didn't want to try to go today - probably too busy.

Anita, when it's this cold (below zero) one can justify bing watching junk on Netflix, eating comfort food, and generally vegging out. If you ever have the opportunity to tour the Biltmore I hope you will take it. Here in California the closest thing we have is Hearst Castle, which DH and I have toured. Hearst was into conpicuous comsumption. The home has expensive stuff everywhere with no thought to placement. In short, no taste at all, just stuff. The Biltmore is the total opposite, it is so well thought out. There is an atrium in the center for growing plants in the winter. Cornelious Vanderbilt was a lesser Vanderbilt and an egg head, he was left alone to pursue his studies. He has an elaborate library on many topics, spoke many languages and has books in all of them. He and his wife studied farming and plants and gave lessons to surrounding farmers on how and what to plant for the area. In general they had a social conscience and taste and it shows throughout the estate. His heirs started a winery and the wine is also worth tasting.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-21, 09:09 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Hopefully this will be the last of the really cold days of winter - temps will start to slowly go up the rest of the week to about 32 F this weekend! I'll be doing more putzing around the house and walking Gus. Yay! My tax returns were accepted by my state and feds - hopefully soon with refund checks!

Paula, nice to be able to use your syrup more often in recipes - I'm sure your bread dish tastes great! I'm not that interested in touring big homes, but if they have a conservatory then WOW! The last one I went to was Longwood Gardens, which used to be a du Pont estate. Simply beautiful! https://longwoodgardens.org/ My friend that used to live in that area has moved on, so I'll have to make a repeat visit some other way...

Anita
Old 02-15-21, 08:06 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today was somewhat busy as I had two training sessions via Zoom, a new person and one of my original people. Around those, I cooked a little (baked potatoes and stuff to top them) and cleaned up the kitchen. Tonight, we are supposed to get a line of thunderstorms move through. That cold/snow that is all over the news is going to the west and north of us and our temps are warming some and we'll have thunderstorms instead of snow. That's okay with me!

Yesterday, we hung out together. I picked up food from our restaurant and brought it home. We talked and watched TV and didn't do much. It was a nice day.

Anita - Yeah, I didn't think this group was big on Valentine's Day. I have one more winter theme, and then I'll need to come up with something else. I LOVE Longwood Gardens. They are beautiful gardens and now they have a show at night where they synchronize music with fountains and lights. It's pretty impressive. Enjoy the heat wave and hitting freezing!

Paula - It's nice you have a way to use your maple syrup. I'd like to get to Biltmore again at some point, maybe before Christmas. It has been decades since I went.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 02-15-21, 08:57 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B's Body Shaping Day 1 Push (strength) followed by Tamilee floor stretch (a quick full body stretch).

We went flying today. Not the nicest day for it, but we had a good time. We got another estimate on the windows we need to replace. I think we're ready to make a choice and start the ball rolling. We do need association approval, so I need to do the paperwork for that tomorrow.

Anita, glad your temps are on the way up. I am not usually into touring mansions either, not sure why DH and I went through Hearst Castle, just something to do on a gray day I suspect. The Biltmore was something my Mother wanted to do so my SIL and I decided to take her. I was glad we did, I was impressed. I looked at the longwoodsgardens link you attached - looks beautiful. DH and I did go to Butchart Gardens while we were on Vancouver Island, and very impressive. The family women also did a tour of the Duke University gardens once and that too was beautiful and impressive.

Laura, yeah, stay warm, it's going to be chilly where you are. Always nice to have a couch potato day and Valentines Day is as good an excuse as any. When I went to the Biltmore it was Novemeber and the entire manison and grounds were decorated for Christmas, it was stunning. I highly recommend going during the holiday season.
Old 02-16-21, 09:44 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on giving Gus a walk today - we'll be in single positive digits, but heck it's better than seeing those numbers with a negative sign in front of it. We'll be above freezing this coming weekend! Yay! Otherwise putzing around the house. I need to do some vacuuming!

I can tell I'm starting to get stir crazy staying here during Covid - every town show or gardening show showing beautiful places on TV is making me want to drive there and see them.

Laura, we've got the freezing temps, but too far north to get the snow that is hitting most of the country. Glad you're getting rains instead of snow where you are - hope the temps are so that you don't have freezing rain. I wish Longwood Gardens was close to where I live so i could go there regularly - just beautiful!

Paula, Interesting that you like the mansions and their gardens at holiday time - I prefer seeing the outdoor flowers in summer. I do have to admit that I was at Longwood Gardens in February so missed their outdoor stuff - the greenhouses were just huge - enough to spend the entire day in there. I'd think your association would give you a list of who they'll accept windows from since they have to approve them.

Anita
Old 02-16-21, 07:02 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

The came out today! It still exists! It came out and the temps got into the high 50s/low 60s. It was a beautiful day. Last night, we had thunderstorms with torrential rain, and so it was an enormous change.

This morning, I took DH to a chiropractor appointment. He felt lousy, and we discovered later that he had forgotten to take his morning medications and that explained it. He needed a long nap and so when Mom and Dad called and said that they were going to a restaurant at the farmer's market to pick up seafood and invited me to come along; I was all in. It was a great lunch at their place and we had a pleasant afternoon. DH and I went on a short walk after I got home.

Paula - That's good to hear about Biltmore at Christmas. It's good you were able to get out for a flight, even if it wasn't the best day for it.

Anita - I totally understand about feeling stir crazy. I don't think too much about where we might go when we finally can go somewhere because I'll want to go NOW. I hope you enjoyed walking in our warmer temps.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 02-16-21, 09:45 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Yoga with Kassandra Morning Day 16, Pahla B. Body Shaping Day 2 and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Just putzed around the house today so nothing interesting to talk about.

Anita, I got a laugh from your comment about wanting to visit everything you see on television. Just as I was reading your comment we were watching a YouTube video on driving highway 395 in California and I was saying to DH "write that place down, we need to visit there". We're so anxious to take a trip to anywhere it's not funny. I liked visiting the Biltmore during the holidays because the decorations were so beautiful.

Laura, glad you had a nice day and good the problems your DH was suffering was so easily explained by forgetting to take his medications. Talked with my sister today (she lives near you) and she was pleased the weather seemed a little nicer although she said the daily high only lasts about 10 minutes before the temp starts going down again.