Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-18, 05:38 PM  
Lannette

Pull-Ups

Can you do them? Do you want to do them? If you can do them how did you get to point of doing that first pull-up?

I have a goal to be able to do at least one proper wide grip pull-up by age 65. I’m 63 so you might say that this is a looong term goal.

I have a set of pull-up assist bands and can do 7 proper pull-ups in good form. I thought I’d move to the next lower band once I get to 10 pull-ups.

I’m also doing “hangs” and shoulder mobilization to decompress my shoulders, back and chest.

So tell me your experiences and ideas on the best way to achieve that single perfect pull-up.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 05:42 PM  
Lannette

I did search pull-ups and pull up bands. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 07-27-18, 08:32 PM  
Sara1000

Pull ups are really hard. I used to regularly LOWER myself slowly from a pull up bar (hoping to build strength). I had a stool to get up there. Also they have a machine at the gym that assists you. I used to use that regularly but never built up much. I now just double up a band and hold it over my head with one hand, pull down with the other.

I hope I never slip off a ledge and have to pull myself back up
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 08:39 PM  
noodles

I used the lowering down trick myself as well and eventually was able to do a couple unassissted pull ups myself. Was a proud moment
Jamie
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-18, 06:18 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Pull ups are really hard. I used to regularly LOWER myself slowly from a pull up bar (hoping to build strength). I had a stool to get up there. Also they have a machine at the gym that assists you. I used to use that regularly but never built up much. I now just double up a band and hold it over my head with one hand, pull down with the other.

I hope I never slip off a ledge and have to pull myself back up
I don’t have access to a gym other than my home gym so no assisted PU machine. I use my Pilates Cadillac. That means that my knees are bent in the lower position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
I used the lowering down trick myself as well and eventually was able to do a couple unassissted pull ups myself. Was a proud moment
Jamie
I may start doing this for my second set just to see if the variation helps me gain more strength.

What amazes me is how Total Body the movement is. I was telling my DH that I think I could do Push-ups, Assisted Pull-ups, some hanging Callanetics Open/closes (my knees are still partially bent) and hangs where I bend my knees into my chest (or as close as I can get) and then extend my legs in front so my body is in an “L” shape and get a really great Total Body WO.

Old 07-28-18, 08:31 AM  
adrien_73

Pull-ups are SOOOO hard for me. I have a door gym and use the heaviest/thickest Iron Woody band for the assistance, and I can still only do about 4-5 reps.

I'm pretty good at "dangling" though...just hanging on for dear life!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-18, 09:06 AM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

At age 62, I did my first unassisted chinup which happened halfway through my second P90X rotation. Of the several methods I used to get there, the most effective was negatives. I used several less exhausting ways for each subsequent pullup chapter. I did hangs and pullups with a lower bar (with feet on floor or step), with assisted 2" or 1" resistance bands, and/or with total gym. It really surprised me the first time I did an unassisted chinup. I came up like I was on a spring. I was underweight at 112 at the time, so I suppose that helped somewhat. I have a power rack in my basement near my washing machine. Every time I did laundry, I would also do as many chinups as possible to increase the number. I have gotten away from doing pullups consistently and have found it is like starting from scratch to do them. It is a lot of hard work.

Lannette, your being an exercise therapist, I don’t have to tell you that a shoulder warmup and stretches after pullups is essential. I like Kristina Nekyia’s Shoulder School with chapters on stabilization, strength, and mobility for some of that. If I am not mistaken, I think Tony Horton does the Ls for abs in the P90 Plus series. Good luck with your goal.
Old 07-28-18, 10:22 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm working on pull-ups too! I just turned 62. I'm using the assisted machine at the gym. But now I'll add on some hanging.
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-18, 02:46 PM  
Demeris

I can't do a pull up, although I would love to be able to.

I just came on to tell a story: I knew a guy in college, a smaller guy, about 5'6" and about 135/140 pounds of solid muscle. His ONLY workout was 50 pull ups a day (this was in the late 70s, so we all thought he was a little tetched in the head).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-18, 02:47 PM  
Sara1000

I think pull ups, push ups and crunches makes a pretty thorough regimen.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pull up bands, pull up help, pull ups, pull-ups