Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-15, 01:44 PM  
PhyllisG

Rachel McLish

Does anyone still have or even use either of her 2 books? I never had her VHS tape. I was just looking thru my copy of Lisa Lyons Body Magic and then I started looking up books on amazon and 2 books by Rachel came up. Curious. Still getting great reviews.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-15, 02:13 PM  
MARIKA

Her book changed my life! Got me into weight lifting. She still has my ideal physique of anyone. I had her vhs tape too. Wonder if it's on dvd?
Old 08-22-15, 02:16 PM  
shoegoddess

I have her VHS tape but my VCR died

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-15, 02:25 PM  
rhbrand

I saw a magazine, way back when I was 13, with Rachel on the cover with a short home workout with weights inside. I was a pudgy girl, and begged my mom to let me get that magazine, and a pair of 8lbs dumbbells with my allowance ( mom had to chip in a couple bucks)

I did her workout 3 days a week for the summer, buying 12lbs weights towards the end. I didn't lose any weight, but went down a pant size!

Rachel got me into weights way back 32 years ago!
Old 08-22-15, 03:11 PM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
Her book changed my life! Got me into weight lifting. She still has my ideal physique of anyone. I had her vhs tape too. Wonder if it's on dvd?
Which one do you have? I see she has two. I am getting so burnt out on DVDs that I am thinking of going back to a simpler time. I got started with weights with Lisa Lyons when her book first came out. I would just put on music and totally enjoy myself. Got in great shape also.
Amazon has both her books used for a few cents. New copies are expensive.
Her VHS never went to DVD.
Old 08-22-15, 03:16 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

For the longest time, I thought Rachel McLish had the ideal female body and she also got me into lifting weights. I had her book and her VHS and may have even burned the VHS to a DVD. I also remember the movie documentary "Pumping Iron II: The Women" which focused primarily on Rachel and Bev Francis.
Old 08-22-15, 03:31 PM  
MsThistlebottom

I picked up both of her books (Flex Appeal and Perfect Parts) not long ago because I love this style of weight training. I do weight training at a gym right now, but when I go back to working out on my own, I'll use the books as a reference (getting burned out on DVDs too). My eldest sister took a weight training class for women years ago, and the class used Flex Appeal and the Weider Book of Weight Training for Women. She got into phenomenal shape in a short period of time.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-15, 03:40 PM  
PhyllisG

Should I get both? Why am I even asking this. I know i want to get both. One better than the other?
Old 08-22-15, 03:46 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Should I get both? Why am I even asking this. I know i want to get both. One better than the other?
Yes, of course you want to get both! Actually, my sister preferred Flex Appeal, but I had to get both because Joyce Vedral cowrote Perfect Parts. And used copies are so cheap on Amazon.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-15, 03:57 PM  
at120

Back in the day, this video of Rachel McLish and Schwarzenegger was one of my favorites, although watching a former Ms. Olympia act like she's going to die curling 10lbs is fairly hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVnMecXPafM
at120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic weight training, gladys portugues, rachel mclish, weider