Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-26-13, 11:00 AM  
Tugger31

Question In search of YOGA...

I'm looking for some 30-40 min yoga workouts to do once a week to increase my flexibilty.

What I like so far...I've done Cathe's Yoga Max as I'm not much into the meditative/new agey types of yoga (no offense intended just dont know how else to explain myself), but that one is a tad too easy and not as much variety of poses as I was hoping for.

I have Jeanette Jenkins' Power Yoga and I really like almost everything about it but it's too long so has a big dread factor. If I could find something similar at 40 minutes or so that would be perfect.

I have some wrist issues and though I can use a block I dont like endless sun salutations, those have a dread factor for me as well.

Scenery doesnt matter too much to me as I dont spend too much time looking at the screen anyways. Music I dont care much about either. I'd like something that holds the poses long enough to feel them but not so long that my workout ADD kicks in.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 12:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

without a doubt, Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for your week. all 25-30 min, and you get 5 practices. this series has NO SUN SALUTATIONS also....

Sara Ivanhoe's yoga makeover has 5 workouts in that one case, plus yoga on the ball (stability ball). it's been a while since i've done this set, so read the reviews to see which ones do not have sun salutes.

Alan Finger's Yoga Zone Yoga for Conditioning and Stress Release is all seated, and although it is 60 minutes, you can always do half of it. i think it's chaptered too, but check the reviews.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 12:13 PM  
mrsyancy

I like Gwen Lawrence's fit body yoga( I think the name is different now).....I don't think there are very many sun salutations at all(has three 20 min practices and a ten minute practice)......I also like bob harpers yoga for the warrior....it's an hour but u don't do a ton of sun salutations nor are you on your wrists a ton( I think it has a shorter practice also).....that's what I can think of for now....hth
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 12:48 PM  
cpcathy

Sarah Ivanhoe is indeed very chill without being new agey. I don't like those videos either. Yoga Zone is my favorite, however. There are 20 minute sessions (2 on each DVD) and hour-long workouts. The instructors are easy going, not new-agey, and they film in Jamaica!

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 12:55 PM  
isebelleg44

I like AIM yoga

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...-and-more-6226

or MTV Power Yoga

http://www.amazon.com/MTV-Power-Yoga...MTV+power+yoga

And there is always Bryan Kest's Classic:

http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Kest-Pow...workout+series

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 01:52 PM  
starbelly

You could try a lot of different teachers/styles/lengths on My Yoga Online. The code "tsfb1week" should get you a free week.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 03:08 PM  
violingal3

Body by Bethenny - I have a lot of yoga DVDs, and this is my "go to" out of all of them. It has a nice balance of moves, just a few sun salutations, a nice pace and it's only 40 minutes! I'm always in search of "something like it" but I've given up, this is the one that's just right for me.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 03:11 PM  
cherimac

Aim Yoga
Fit Body Yoga
Sara Ivanhoe's Yoga Body Makeover
Rodney Yee AM Yoga for Your Week

have all been mentioned and are all the ones that came to mind.