Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-21, 04:08 PM  
bfit

How long to tone thighs and glutes?

I lost a lot of tone in my glutes and thighs because of a long layoff with an injury. How long will it take to regain what I had? It was a period of about 6 months when I could do only minimal floor work, and I couldn't even walk. Will it take a year? More?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 04:48 AM  
Tanja

I say, don't worry about how long it takes. The time passes anyway. Just focus on improving from your current level. Take detailed notes such as: "I could not do a sit and stand from a step that was lower than 22 inches, I did unweighted sit and stands from a 22 inch height 3 x 10 reps. It was hard." Soon your notes will read "The sit and stands from a 22 inch steps are too easy. Lower to 20 inch next time." - You get the idea.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 09:13 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
I say, don't worry about how long it takes. The time passes anyway. Just focus on improving from your current level. Take detailed notes such as: "I could not do a sit and stand from a step that was lower than 22 inches, I did unweighted sit and stands from a 22 inch height 3 x 10 reps. It was hard." Soon your notes will read "The sit and stands from a 22 inch steps are too easy. Lower to 20 inch next time." - You get the idea.
This is basically how I have been approaching my return to fitness since breaking my right ankle last August. Shortly after I was given the green light to remove my boot, I could see that my right calf was shockingly atrophied. I'm pretty much back to normal now, though, with two same-size calves. Walking and physical therapy exercises really helped with that.

Of course, I was able to begin to get back in the game after about 10ish weeks, give or take. You, bfit, have been down for much longer. Give it time and work with what you can, building up gradually. I did chair squats (sit and stands) using two extra cushions at first, but now I don't use any at all. I can also get down on the floor and back up again without using a bunch of props to gradually make my way down there (and back up again)!

I don't know what your goal is, but, for now, mine is to get back my usually functional fitness level so I can be self-sufficient and live my normal life without assistive devices and without being in pain or tired out by every little thing I do. So--perhaps I could say my goals are to gain strength and function, not so much caring about tone or appearance.

I am being more and more consistent now with workouts, and that has helped. Before, when everything was so hard to do, I would slack off more often than I should. But everything is starting to get easier, so I'm starting to be consistent. And I am geting tougher on myself and I am gradually making my way to my more normal fitness level.

I hope that makes sense!

Best wishes for your recovery,

Donna
Old 04-17-21, 10:41 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

It also depends on how old you are. As one ages, it gets tougher to maintain muscle mass, let alone build it back.

Maybe make up a gradual, 6-month plan. At that time reassess and make new goals.

Be careful not to overdo it. That can led to injury.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 12:56 PM  
warriorprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
It also depends on how old you are. As one ages, it gets tougher to maintain muscle mass, let alone build it back.

Isn't that the truth! One of the most disconcerting things I faced this year was watching my thighs atrophy in spite of regularly working out. I'm doubling down on the weights and the nutrition to try to fix that, but wow, I haven't come to terms with my face growing old yet.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-21, 03:28 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I lost a lot of tone in my glutes and thighs because of a long layoff with an injury. How long will it take to regain what I had? It was a period of about 6 months when I could do only minimal floor work, and I couldn't even walk. Will it take a year? More?
I understand what your going through. I had Grave’s disease (now in remission due to diet/supplements) and had gotten so weak it was a real struggle to get up off some restaurant toilet seats that were lower to the ground. I had serious panic issues about getting stuck in a public restroom. Lost most all of my muscle mass and couldn’t walk far without resting.

Before this recent shoulder injury, I had regained muscle mass and in the last few months have planted over 50 trees and shrubs. I was also doing Margaret Richard, KCM and Cathe amongst other workouts. To many that is no great feat, but it means a lot to me.

It probably took me around a year or so to fill out. I don’t remember exactly. My legs previously were like sticks. Now they’re a bit chunky. I can’t seem to get my inner thighs to tighten up, but that’s due in part to being a little overweight and older.

On my road to recovery, I initially started drinking protein drinks and doing gentle Ellen Barrett & Leslie Sansone one mile workouts to build endurance and strength. I also found short, light weight YouTube workouts.

My advice to you is to be happy, accept yourself and not worry about anything. Stress wreaks havoc on the immune system and inhibits motivation. Start gently, be kind to yourself and don’t overdo. You will get strong and toned.
Old 04-17-21, 03:43 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

If you really want results in the shortest possible time, it might be worth visiting a trainer a couple of times to get some specific advice. Once you learn what to do, you could maybe then do the suggested routines on your own.

I know that I got stronger over time just dabbling with Firm and Cathe workouts, but I probably would have made faster gains if I'd had a specific plan.

Tags
muscle growth, muscle loss