Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-21, 08:39 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Everything Summer Breeze said lol! Except I actually love cold weather. I am also more Central NJ than Northernn
I shouldn't complain because our winters could be so much worse.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 09:05 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
lol!

i had the privilege of returning to Dayton for a visit in 2015. it was the first time going back since i was 4 years old. we were in Indiana for my son's performance at Butler Univ and we drove down to Dayton to meet my godmother, who gave me a tour of the place since it was totally foreign to me other than the family pictures we kept over the years.
I was born and raised just outside of Indianapolis and my niece is a senior at Butler this year. Great school!
Old 02-17-21, 09:30 AM  
Vantreesta

It's fun to hear talk of Indiana. I grew up near Monticello for the first 13 years of my life. I can't see myself ever living there again bc the heat and humidity are even worse than here! I'd be happy if the temps never got over 65, to be honest. I do not do hot!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 11:17 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I also am originally from the Buckeye state of Ohio! Lived in Dayton for most of my childhood and some of my teen years! Was born in Cincinnati!
Wow, lots of us with connections to this area!
Old 02-17-21, 11:55 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
I live in Raleigh, NC. I don't love it but I don't hate it. A lot of people like the fact that we get all the seasons, but I do NOT like the fact that we can get them all in the same week. The temperatures here - especially Feb. through April - can swing 40 or more degrees in 1 day. And even though the winters here are relatively mild, I would rather live somewhere where there is no chance of snow.

A lot of people that live specifically in Raleigh also really like being within a few hours of both the beach and the mountains, but neither of those things interest me much, either. There is plenty to do here, but it's not quite where I feel I belong, even though I've lived here a majority of my life. I'm not sure where I should end up, but it should definitely be somewhere warm!
I'm copying Stephanie's message in because I live in the Raleigh area too, and I figured you might get some contrast in our perceptions of the same place. I have lived here for three years. I lived in the Maryland suburbs of DC for 32 years and, when DH retired, we got out of there and moved here My parents had retired here 20 years ago so we were familiar with the area.

I was so tired of winter weather, but wanted seasons, so this is a great option for us. As Stephanie said, the temps in the winter can vary widely in one week. We rarely get winter precipitation, and when we do, it melts off pretty quickly. For me, this means that when it turns colder, you don't have to wait too long for a warmer day. The summers are hot and humid, but we can get out for walks earlier or later in the day most of the time. It's not that much worse than the DC suburbs.

We have already visited the shore a couple of times and, once the pandemic is over, I have a road trip planned to include the NC mountains and into Tennessee. You have a lot of options of places to go on shorter trips.

Lots of people are moving here and housing prices are going up and traffic is increasing. Compared to DC, it's not bad at all, but those are trends that are going to continue. On the flip side, just about any service you want is here. DH has a lot of eating sensitivities and we have a lot of places I can shop for him and restaurants where he can eat.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-21, 12:01 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Adding to the Buckeye posts here...my parents are both from Toledo and my siblings and I spent most of our summers with our grandparents there growing up. I lived in both Toledo and Columbus for a year each right after high school. I was going to Ohio State, and I loved the school itself, but please see my previous post on my weather preferences. I moved to Houston after living in Ohio for 2 years
Old 02-17-21, 02:06 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
Adding to the Buckeye posts here...my parents are both from Toledo and my siblings and I spent most of our summers with our grandparents there growing up. I lived in both Toledo and Columbus for a year each right after high school. I was going to Ohio State, and I loved the school itself, but please see my previous post on my weather preferences. I moved to Houston after living in Ohio for 2 years
LOL I don't blame you. I did some of my grad school near Toledo, and it is definitely the darkest, coldest, windiest region of Ohio. I honestly loved my university, but I don't think I could ever live up that way.
Old 02-17-21, 10:53 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Born and raised Buckeye (Cleveland area), living in NYC for the last 35 years.

I love this city so much: it's walkable, the subways get you anywhere you need to go for a relatively cheap fare, so much good food, good museums and library system, racial and ethnic diversity, and New Yorkers are both funny and resilient.

Downsides: hot and humid summers when it seems like everyone is in the street making noise late at night.
Old 02-18-21, 05:19 AM  
Erica H.

Another Buckeye here (NE Ohio)! Moved here in 1985 to attend college (CWRU) and met DH, who was born and raised here and never left. I was raised in N. Miami, FL.

My 3 sons all graduated from Ohio State and their 2 long-time girlfriends did also, so lots of true Buckeyes in our family. Dd is a freshman in college who wanted to escape our long winters and decided to go to TX for college and...is now experiencing a historic winter storm in TX.

We live in the snowbelt so lots and lots of snow and long winters. After growing up in South FL, I loved the winters at first but now am tired of the snow and can't tolerate the cold anymore. We are ready to move. My kids all hate it too (one is in IN, one is in the Boston area, one stayed in Columbus, and dd is in TX for college). The snow was a lot of fun when the kids were little and we could go sledding (we have a sledding hill in our back yard) and play in the snow, but not so much anymore.

But we love our little town and our property and most of our neighbors. We're close enough to Cleveland (under an hour) where there is so much to do - sports, museums, the orchestra, the playhouse, we have an amazing park system here, etc. I do love fall and spring when we actually get them (sometimes they are just soggy and wet and cold).

Fun fact: I met one of my best friends on VF - she lives 15 minutes away and has been an absolute blessing to me and my family.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-21, 06:25 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Another Minnesota resident here, I have lived here my whole life and like living here. I am in the very southern part of the Twin Cities, I believe that my city is still considered part of the metro area. I am originally from the northern suburbs and have made my way south over the years.

We are further out and have determined that we will stay further out, I have no desire to move back closer or back into the cities. Crime is up and I like living more out in the boonies, we are still close to stores, etc. We are contemplating a house move, but would like to stay in the same city if possible or maybe even move further south.

I am not a fan of winter, but who is. We have these bitter cold spells but they are usually short lived for the most part. I personally would take the cold over the snow, I hate driving in the snow. The summers can get hot and humid here, but the spring and fall seasons are really nice.

Minnesota is nice, if you can stand the winter. The taxes are high here and it's pricey to live here, which I don't like.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
where do you live