Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-18, 05:38 PM  
Lannette

Pull-Ups

Can you do them? Do you want to do them? If you can do them how did you get to point of doing that first pull-up?

I have a goal to be able to do at least one proper wide grip pull-up by age 65. I’m 63 so you might say that this is a looong term goal.

I have a set of pull-up assist bands and can do 7 proper pull-ups in good form. I thought I’d move to the next lower band once I get to 10 pull-ups.

I’m also doing “hangs” and shoulder mobilization to decompress my shoulders, back and chest.

So tell me your experiences and ideas on the best way to achieve that single perfect pull-up.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 05:42 PM  
Lannette

I did search pull-ups and pull up bands. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 07-27-18, 08:32 PM  
Sara1000

Pull ups are really hard. I used to regularly LOWER myself slowly from a pull up bar (hoping to build strength). I had a stool to get up there. Also they have a machine at the gym that assists you. I used to use that regularly but never built up much. I now just double up a band and hold it over my head with one hand, pull down with the other.

I hope I never slip off a ledge and have to pull myself back up
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-18, 08:39 PM  
noodles

I used the lowering down trick myself as well and eventually was able to do a couple unassissted pull ups myself. Was a proud moment
Jamie
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-18, 06:18 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Pull ups are really hard. I used to regularly LOWER myself slowly from a pull up bar (hoping to build strength). I had a stool to get up there. Also they have a machine at the gym that assists you. I used to use that regularly but never built up much. I now just double up a band and hold it over my head with one hand, pull down with the other.

I hope I never slip off a ledge and have to pull myself back up
I don’t have access to a gym other than my home gym so no assisted PU machine. I use my Pilates Cadillac. That means that my knees are bent in the lower position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
I used the lowering down trick myself as well and eventually was able to do a couple unassissted pull ups myself. Was a proud moment
Jamie
I may start doing this for my second set just to see if the variation helps me gain more strength.

What amazes me is how Total Body the movement is. I was telling my DH that I think I could do Push-ups, Assisted Pull-ups, some hanging Callanetics Open/closes (my knees are still partially bent) and hangs where I bend my knees into my chest (or as close as I can get) and then extend my legs in front so my body is in an “L” shape and get a really great Total Body WO.

Old 07-28-18, 08:31 AM  
adrien_73

Pull-ups are SOOOO hard for me. I have a door gym and use the heaviest/thickest Iron Woody band for the assistance, and I can still only do about 4-5 reps.

I'm pretty good at "dangling" though...just hanging on for dear life!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-18, 09:29 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
proper wide grip pull-up.
Why is a wide grip pull-up "proper"?

I recommend you choose the position that where you will be strongest -- shoulder-width with either a supinated grip or neutral grip -- so you can use your biceps as well as your back.

Yes I can do them and I got them by training negative reps years ago.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-18, 05:32 AM  
Sara1000

I looked at Table Pull Ups here

To me that looks much more a biceps exercise - aren't regular push ups more back and shoulder?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-18, 08:11 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I looked at Table Pull Ups here

To me that looks much more a biceps exercise - aren't regular push ups more back and shoulder?
To me, it looks more like a lat pull-down because of the angle. I started doing these years ago when Mark Lauren first came on the scene and this was one of the exercises in his first book, though I can't remember if he referred to it as a pull-down.

I'm just going to throw this idea out there as an alternative for anyone who can't do a full, unassisted pull-up...I have shoulder problems and will never be able to do a 'real' pull-up unassisted and I do not have anywhere in my home to install a pull-up bar anyway. I have a Total Gym knockoff that I use for pull-ups. I've been using this for years and I feel it's better than using a band because I can adjust the resistance.
Old 07-29-18, 10:09 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

"Do I want to do them?" Yes! I've never been able to use the Fluidity bar for pull-ups because I couldn't wrap my small hands around the bar. I've often thought of the Stamina Power Tower but the ceilings are low in my apartment. And a door system is out of the question for my apt.

Last month I finally bought the new Cathe Fit Tower. I've got the crossbar at the highest point (43" from the floor) and I can do Mark Lauren's table pull-ups with feet elevated using my Pilates Box or High Step. So far I'm delighted. And it would probably be wise for me not to wish to go any further since I have a history of rotator cuff problems. I just keep focusing on stabilizing and retracting my shoulder blades before pulling up.

Tags
pull up bands, pull up help, pull ups, pull-ups