Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-13, 04:17 PM  
Irisg1

Body Beast - Recovery/Rest ?

I am just starting week 8 of a Body Beast rotation, and for some reason, I feel like my body needs a little recovery. I've done other heavy rotations, such as STS and P90X, and those rotations did have a recovery week after 4 weeks or so. With Body Beast, you go straight through 12 weeks. I am just wondering if anyone who has done a Body Beast rotation experienced a little burn-out after several weeks? Did you find it necessary to take a recovery week? Today would be a Bulk Legs day, and I am just not feeling any desire to do it. Yesterday was chest, and I didn't feel my normal energy. I normally don't like to deviate from a rotation, but already today I've decided to do a barre workout instead. I figure this will have lots of leg work in it, but then I'm wondering if I should just take the week off from B.B., and come back to it next week? I would do a mix of workouts this week, kickboxing, pilates, barre, maybe kettlebells, but no heavy-lifting. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-13, 04:21 PM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisg1 View Post
I am just starting week 8 of a Body Beast rotation, and for some reason, I feel like my body needs a little recovery. I've done other heavy rotations, such as STS and P90X, and those rotations did have a recovery week after 4 weeks or so. With Body Beast, you go straight through 12 weeks. I am just wondering if anyone who has done a Body Beast rotation experienced a little burn-out after several weeks? Did you find it necessary to take a recovery week? Today would be a Bulk Legs day, and I am just not feeling any desire to do it. Yesterday was chest, and I didn't feel my normal energy. I normally don't like to deviate from a rotation, but already today I've decided to do a barre workout instead. I figure this will have lots of leg work in it, but then I'm wondering if I should just take the week off from B.B., and come back to it next week? I would do a mix of workouts this week, kickboxing, pilates, barre, maybe kettlebells, but no heavy-lifting. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
I'm thinking of getting BB and I was wondering about recovery. Your body is telling you to take a rest IMO. As I get older I really listen to my body.
How are you liking the workouts and what are your results so far?

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 04:30 PM  
dela

I think BB needs at least one rest in there. I have to look back at my notes, I thought I ended up needing to take a little break at some point. I know I tweaked my leg during one of the workouts, and I think I backed off for a few days after that.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 04:31 PM  
Irisg1

Yes, I definitely feel like my body is telling me to take a rest. I really have been enjoying the workouts, and just started feeling that real fatigue late last week. I have been adding cardio and other workouts since I recently subscribed to The Gymbox. I'm sure that has something to do with me feeling soo run down.

I think I will take this week off and get back to it on Sunday. I'm sure a little break will have me eager to get back to it, because I really do enjoy the workouts. I did well with STS also, but Body Beast is giving me similar, if not better results, and the workouts are shorter than STS. I love that the exercises are very traditional and straight-forward, so I can focus on form.

Good luck with your decision. I think you would like Body Beast
Old 02-04-13, 04:33 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisg1 View Post
Definitely take the week off!!!! It makes a huge difference and you will likely be far more successful if you listen to your body. I've had some of my best results after a rest week. Save yourself potential injury and let your hard work have a chance to settle in via recovery time.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 05:24 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

I just started it today with the first DVD Lean Beast rotation. I will see how it goes about the rest. I added part of the 2nd Tonique for a little cardio. He talks way too much, but the workout was good. This is definitely a workout that you could easily do on your own, but it is nice to have company and not do the thinking.
Wish my son would still be living home to spot me for the chest press...

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 05:29 PM  
alydinva

How long are the BB workouts? I'm deciding between purchasing this and STS and the STS workout lengths are giving me pause.
alydinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 05:36 PM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydinva View Post
How long are the BB workouts? I'm deciding between purchasing this and STS and the STS workout lengths are giving me pause.
I believe the longest one is around 53 minutes. Many are in the 40 something minute range, and even a couple are in the 30's.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 07:44 PM  
Irisg1

Thank you all for the advise and suggestions. I decided to take the rest of the week off and will restart BB on Sunday. I can always tell when I am burning out, because I become more accident prone and just tired.

I'm looking forward to more variety this week and hopefully some recovery.
Old 02-04-13, 07:51 PM  
Irisg1

The longer workout are in the Build phase. Once you move to the Bulk phase, the workouts are all around the 30 minute range, since you'll be working only one body part per day.

I've done 2 rounds of STS and I like Body Beast more. Plus you can do the entire series with dumbbells, whereas, STS seems to require more equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydinva View Post