Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-17-06, 10:53 AM  
carolyn jane

DVDs vs. VHS

Okay, I have been using DVDs for a while now and I think there are a couple of things I wish were different or more like VHS. One BIG aggravation is that you can't leave a DVD where you want it to start next time. For example if I have a VHS that has 1/2 lower body and 1/2 upper body, I can leave it set for upper body. With a DVD, unless there is a premix with that option, I have to FF to get to it. Another pet peeve is premixes that always include the warmup. On Cathe's weight workouts, all of her premixes include the warmup. If I just finished cardio, I don't need a warmup, so I have to stand there and wait until it FF to the workout. Maybe there is a way around this but I'm not technologically smart enough to figure it out!
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 11:00 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn jane
Okay, I have been using DVDs for a while now and I think there are a couple of things I wish were different or more like VHS. One BIG aggravation is that you can't leave a DVD where you want it to start next time. For example if I have a VHS that has 1/2 lower body and 1/2 upper body, I can leave it set for upper body. With a DVD, unless there is a premix with that option, I have to FF to get to it. Another pet peeve is premixes that always include the warmup. On Cathe's weight workouts, all of her premixes include the warmup. If I just finished cardio, I don't need a warmup, so I have to stand there and wait until it FF to the workout. Maybe there is a way around this but I'm not technologically smart enough to figure it out!
On all the Cathe DVDs I have, I just hit the skip button to pass by the warmup. I do wish you could leave a bookmark on a DVD tho.. that would be nice.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 12:10 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

My DVD player (a Sony) has a feature that allows you to put a DVD in, let it play or fast forward to where you want it, and it will remember where it left off.

With unchaptered Firms, sometimes I'll let it play through to where I want to start, and walk around getting out equipment. The next morning (I work out early) it's ready to go and will pick up where it left off.

Peggy, I think I'm following you from thread to thread today!
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 12:18 PM  
jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy T
On all the Cathe DVDs I have, I just hit the skip button to pass by the warmup. I do wish you could leave a bookmark on a DVD tho.. that would be nice.
This is why I like Cathe's DVD's, they are chaptered so well. The chapter menus and premixes/combos make her DVD's a cut above the rest. I also have problems with skipping through other DVD's to get to the place where I want to start. All in all, I would rather use DVD technology than VHS.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 12:21 PM  
KickDancer

Some DVD-playing computer software will "remember" where you left off and offer the option of resuming play at the point where the DVD was last stopped. I think InterVideo does this automatically, but PowerDVD and RealPlayer don't. They might offer bookmarking options, though.