Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-02, 06:47 PM  
MSU_gal

Question What Cathe strength series should I start my first rotation with?

For all you Cathe fans out there, I'm wondering if you could help me out...

I have the PS and S&H series on DVD and I just ordered the CTX series and Power Hour/MIS/Body Max DVD which should arrive in the next day or two.

I've been doing gym workouts (mostly free weights with some weight machines) on and off for the past 6 months. I know a good amount (by NO means an expert) about weight training/proper form (my hubby is a personal trainer at our gym), so I'm not a beginner as far a knowledge goes. However, I have not been consistent with my weight lifting mainly due to lack of time (travel time to-and-from the gym was adding 1/2 hour to my day which meant I was either cutting my workouts short or just not going to the gym at all), which is why I thought I would try some home weight workouts in hopes to be more consistent. After reading endless Cathe reviews and checking out her first DVD that I ordered (PS series), I was hooked -- great to workout with, VERY motivating and encouraging, not cheesy at all....love her!!

I'm wondering which series/mixture of workouts should I use for my first rotation? I won't be starting with the S&H series or Body Max since they are so intense, but I wasn't sure whether to start with the PS or CTX series. I was also thinking of maybe trying Pour Hour and MIS (breaking MIS up into upper and lower body) for a 3-day split. I've done the Chest, Tris, and Shoulders of the PS series once without too much trouble (though I used lighter weights) and have previewed the other 2 workouts in the PS series.

I don't have the CTX DVD's yet, however I heard they are less intense (more for endurance) than the PS series. I am probably a high beginner/low intermediate as far as cardio goes (I just finished Keli Roberts Real Fitness: Ultimate Step Workout this week all the way through after my third time doing the video and used a 4" step). I wasn't sure if I would have the cardiovascular fitness at this point to do the CTX series.

Any thoughts/suggestions for those who are familiar with Cathe's strength workouts? I should also state the following:

I only have about 1 hour during the day to workout, so I must be able to complete the warm up, workout, and cool down/stretch all in 1 hour or so.

I would be able to workout 5-6 days a week incorporating cardio and strength (I may do yoga on my day(s) off).

I prefer to split up body parts (I find it tough to stay focused doing both upper and lower body on the same day). I used a 3- day split when I was lifting at the gym that I enjoyed (Chest/Tris/Shoulders -- Legs/Abs -- Back/Bis/Abs).

For the most part I enjoy doing cardio and weights on alternate days, however I wouldn't be opposed to doing both on the same day as long as I could keep my entire workout to about an hour.

Thanks in advance for you ideas/suggestions and for taking the time to read my post

Chris
MSU_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-02, 07:00 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

My suggestion...

I started with the same set of vids (mostly: Power Hour, MIS, Body Max, Slow & Heavy and Pure Strength), and I decided to start with Pure Strength. This gave me more of an idea of how most of Cathe's workout run. I had previously done only the upper body portion of BodyMax but enjoy a split routine better. Once you get it down, you can try Power Hour (full body) or MIS - either split (upper/lower) or together (about 75 minutes). I enjoy all of the workouts - but rarely use Body Max (although the chest/back workouts are great to tack onto Cory Everson's GHAS tape to finish out the upper body).

Cathe really emphasizes endurance with strength, so you'll find a great mix of different counts and weights... save Slow & Heavy for a week to three weeks when you think you REAALLLYY want to concentrate. To vary the workouts and prevent boredom, I switch the last set to reverse counting (6 up, 2 down). Good luck!

By the way, by mixing these vids (I have a rotation suggestion in the rotations area), I lost 20 lbs and still haven't been real good about cleaning up my eating - so that's my next step! I think it'll take off another 5 at least!
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote