Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-17, 06:52 AM  
starbelly

I bought a secondhand ipod touch when the new model came out and people wanted to upgrade. It's very small and light but, since it was secondhand, the battery life is not good if I use it for any internet-based tasks. I can play music for hours (it has a small speaker which is also an upgrade from prior ipods) which was my main reason for buying it. The ipod touch also allows for the download/purchase of apps, some of which are available only for Apple products.

It's quite a convenient little tool which has served me well for several years. I have an ipod from 10+ years ago, but the battery life is extremely short and it is not as easy to navigate as the ipod touch. The flash memory on the touch makes it very quick to respond to input and the touch screen makes it extremely user friendly.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 08:29 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Rose, I think I have some cloud capabilities, although I haven't used it. Right now I can't do anything b/c my current iPod is "stuck" and isn't being recognized by any computer. I tried to backup playlists in the past, but the problem is that my music is not in any one place, so it didn't work.

starbelly, thanks for your thoughts! I had actually gotten my current older iPod for free, and I never really used it much until I started teaching yoga; now I use it a lot! But it definitely could be more user-friendly for what I need, and I think the Touch would be a good upgrade for me. The speaker is a nice feature, too--the places where I teach have sound systems, but you never know when you might need backup!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 09:36 AM  
dbclark44

I have an ipod touch which is a few years old. I mainly use it now in my exercise room to play music from. It won't upgrade anymore and I don't even try and sync with iTunes anymore. Like starbelly, I have the same issue with the battery life. It's extremely short so I keep it in the charger and just play it from there. It's great for playing my iTunes music I have on it and since it's wifi I can access Amazon music or Pandora. Thought about buying a new one but will just wait until this one dies to see what they come out with. I've pretty much stopped using iTunes for music and have jumped over to amazon to have music on my phone available.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 05:53 PM  
severin817

Toaster, unfortunately they won't be able to transfer the data from your old iPod touch to a new one. They're computers don't allow the transfer of customer data for security reasons. When was the last time you were able to sync to iTunes on your computer? Any music you've already purchased through iTunes can be downloaded (for free) to any new device as long as you use the same Apple ID.

You can trade in your old iPod and get 10% off a new one. I would recommend getting an iPod touch and using iTunes Match. It's only $25 a year and any music or playlists you have in iTunes will automatically show up on your devices. You can choose to stream them (with wifi, of course) or download them to the device. I use that for teaching my classes.

Hope that helps!

Laura
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 06:01 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi Laura, thanks for your info. I NEVER synced my iPod with iTunes; the main reason for this was as I described above, my music is not all in one place, so I didn't want the iPod to sync automatically and delete songs that I had in another place. Does that make sense?

I'm also not worried about losing music so much; I don't have much downloaded music. I'm mainly worried about the many playlists I have created. And I know I can't get the music off the iPod myself; I was hoping they could do it if I went to an Apple store. I mean, if your hard drive crashed and you took it to a computer repair place, they could rescue your data, so why can't I get someone to do that for my iPod?

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-23-17, 07:05 PM  
severin817

Toaster, there are data recovery places that can sometimes get your data for you. They're usually pretty expensive. Not sure about the cost for a mobile device but I know computer hard drives can be hundreds of dollars.

What software were you using to get the playlists on your iPod? How old is the iPod? Does it have iCloud on it or is it an older model?

Laura
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-17, 11:16 AM  
in paris

Beth, do you have wifi on your current iPod? If so, you could probably still sync it to the Cloud.

If not, I recommend taking a computer in to an Apple store when you buy your new iPod (and, yes, definitely go for the Touch!). Make a Genius Bar appointment and take both your malfunctioning iPod and the laptop.

Be nice (as you always are anyways ) and explain the situation. Also, tell them you want to buy a new one. You'll have to sync to the laptop and all (if they can get it to work) and then to the new iPod, but hopefully all your hard work can be saved (playlists are such a pita! especially doing it in the device).

Then, to be safe, have them set up your iCloud account for you so that you DO have backup should anything happen in the future (pics, too, real important).

Nine times out of ten, they'll be able to help you out... If not, I've often found, they'll be able to give you good advice on where to go or what to do -- or if it's not possible at all.

If you walk in to an Apple store these days, the Genius Bar is always much more crowded than the store. They're there to help YOU, keep customers happy so they keep on buying when it's time to replace... I'm sure your situation is not unique. Hopefully, you'll get a whiz who's been there, done that!
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-17, 02:06 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

in paris, thanks for the advice! I don't currently have wifi; I have an older 5th gen iPod.

That's interesting about the Genius Bar appointment. I wonder how much they would be help to help though just by me bringing in my laptop--I do have some music on my laptop, but the bulk is on DH's desktop (where I loaded all my music CDs since my laptop doesn't have a CD drive), and some is on my work computer too.

I'm actually thinking maybe I should just bite the bullet and recreate everything myself. It will be a PITA b/c the data exists in multiple places, but it's doable. Regarding the playlists, I was able to copy the titles off the iPod--I'd still need to recreate them, but at least I'd know what was on them.

I do agree that I probably need them to show me how to set it up for next time. Do you think that would still be a Genius Bar appointment?

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-24-17, 02:42 PM  
Sissy B

You could you load all the music you downloaded from CDs on your DH's desktop and your work computer to a portable hard drive. That would allow you to transfer them onto your laptop and then everything would be in one place.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-17, 02:44 PM  
in paris

Beth,

You have absolutely nothing to lose by making an appointment and everything to gain!

Seriously, make the appointment and be honest about why you don't have a proper back-up. Bring your iPod and laptop.

A lot of people are in the same boat. At least three-quarters of my music is from CDs. Nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed by. They made iTunes to sell iPods initially.

When you go to the Genius Bar, they expect to hold your hand. To spend time with you. Take advantage of it.

Good luck!

-- cam
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipod, ipod nano, ipod touch, mp3 players