Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-17, 05:19 PM  
Titus2woman

Please tell me about your hernia repair in regard to fitness

I asked this years ago on a fitness forum, but now I've lived with a hernia repair (mesh) for a good 9+ years. I remember in the beginning the pull was so different and uncomfortable at times after exercise~sore in weird places. I have been careful not to do lying ab work. It has changed over time, as have I (I'm even fatter!), and now I sometimes have discomfort at the top of my stomach. Overall since having the repair my body has never felt as strong as before.

Anyone else have any experience to share? How to modify your yoga practice to be more hernia friendly, for example? Or ANYTHING else pertaining to hernia repair? TIA!

BTW~I refuse to google anything, because I know I'd not be able to handle some of the info~please keep that in mind as you share. No scary TMI please, as I don't want to set off anxiety! LOL!

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 10:12 AM  
karenl

I personally do not have a mesh but my DH does. He has not had good luck with it. That being said I've know others who have them and have had no problem whatsoever ever. It may just be an individual thing. Have you talked to your doctor about the discomfort? They could do a CAT scan to see what is going on.

Good Luck to you.

Karenl
karenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 04:10 PM  
Titus2woman

I appreciate your sharing, Karen! I currently do not have insurance, so I've not had it looked at. I'm sorry for your husband's experience~is he seeking further repair?

Old 01-22-17, 09:09 PM  
karenl

Titus2, I'm sorry you are without insurance at this time. We had lost our insurance back in 2011 when I lost my job. It sucks I know. Fortunately my DH served in the Air Force and was eligible for health coverage in the VA Health Care System. As far as his mesh is concerned, he has been dealing with this for about 6-7 years. We did recently consult a surgeon about having it removed but DH is not sure he want to go through another major surgery. He has had two major surgeries due to pancreatic cancer.

Karenl
Old 01-22-17, 11:31 PM  
Titus2woman

Thank you for sharing with me, Karen! I'm so sorry your DH has been through so much and will keep y'all in my prayers! Is mesh removal considered major? Just YUCK.

Old 01-23-17, 10:15 AM  
karenl

Hi Titus2. In my DH case yes, his mesh removal is considered major. Only because of his other surgeries. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2002.

I can tell by your name Titus2woman your a Christian, so I will share our miracle with you. As you may be aware, people usually do not survive pancreatic cancer. In his case it was a rare form of cancer. Very slow growing. He underwent a procedure called the Whipple at Johns Hopkins hospital. You'll have to google that to see what it involves, but that is a MAJOR operation. Basically they redo your digestive system. He underwent radiation and chemo and did very well for a number of years. But he has a lot of scare tissue built up and in, I think it was 2008, they went in and had to make a new opening in his stomach so the food could empty out into the intestines. He developed surgical hernia so they put a small mesh in and when that did not work they put a larger mesh in and he has had nothing but problems since. I tell my DH he is a miracle. God has always provided for us through job loss and no insurance so I'm confident He will help you also.

God bless you and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Karenl
Old 01-23-17, 03:46 PM  
Titus2woman

KAREN! Thank you for sharing soooo much of yourself with me~what a testimony to the grace and provision of God! ~He is so good~ Your husband really is a miracle, and I am very encouraged, inspired, and at peace. I appreciate you and will also keep y'all in my prayers~please keep me updated if you feel like it!