Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-17, 01:15 PM  
rheash92

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
beyond.omega - thank you so much for your post. I'm going to hold off on henna as my goal is to encourage my curls as much as possible and to steer clear of redness. I'm a dark brunette that is prone to brassiness.

killoffsonny and rheash92 - I use Mad Hippie face cream daily and I love it. I mix it with either the antioxidant oil or the vitamin C drops. I have been using those three products and the face wash for awhile and I think they have made a positive change in my skin. Prior to switching to Mad Hippie I was a loyal Paula's Choice user for many years. I am 49 and had frequent breakouts and enlarged pores while using PC products.I think the PC stuff was overstimulating my skin. After several months with Mad Hippie and Everyday Minerals foundation my skin looks much better and I have way less breakouts. The next thing on my list to try is their SPF cream. None of my local health food stores carry it so I think I'll just get it from Amazon.
Thank you! Could you share which oil and vitamin c you are using? Thanks!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 01:43 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hmm, I think my "best of" for 2016 was Philosophy Purity Made Simple. I'm starting a gradual decline in Paula's Choice products and am only going to stick with a trusted few - the 2% BHA pore cleansing lotion, the Global night moisturizer, Vit. C, and the Resist serum and moisturizer. I don't find her cleansers to be effective, nor her toner. And she is overwhelming me with new creams, oils, etc. lately.

My second favorite was Sebastian Stylbrid 9 hairspray. I want some hold, but don't want a stiff, lacquered look. I wait for a sale at Ulta and stock up on this. I have low maintenance, lightly wavy hair and prefer a natural style, and this nourishing and soft spray works perfect for me.

My worst waste of money was Skinn Collagenesis Stem Rejen Lip. Some ladies on the QVC boards promised me this was liquid gold for lines around the lips so I splurged. The only thing that came out of this experiment reminiscent of my youth was a humongous zit that took two weeks to heal.

Best drugstore find was Alba Botanica Very Emollient Coconut Rescue body lotion in the large pump bottle. My naturopath lectured me about getting off paraben-containing skin products and this moisturizers my super dry skin very nicely.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 02:12 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
Thank you! Could you share which oil and vitamin c you are using? Thanks!
Sure! I use the Mad Hippie brand.
Antioxidant Facial Oil
Vitamin C Serum

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 03:05 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post

Best drugstore find was Alba Botanica Very Emollient Coconut Rescue body lotion in the large pump bottle. My naturopath lectured me about getting off paraben-containing skin products and this moisturizers my super dry skin very nicely.
I like this one, too, I think they also make a body wash.

I am also weaning off PC - I will keep the 2% BHA - but I feel for cleansers and sunscreens I can get the same for less at the drugstore.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 03:05 PM  
donnamp

LindaL - which PC products were you using? I'm curious b/c it sounds like we have similar skin types.

Do you find the Mad Hippie cleanser to be effective?

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 03:32 PM  
TinaS

My best beauty find in 2016 was the Cinema Secrets make up brush cleaner. It instantly cleans off brushes. You can either spray it on and wipe off your brushes, or dip your brushes into it. It dries very fast. I bought a couple backups in the biggest bottle during Sephora's sale in November.

"Don't be Defeated!" ~~ Cathe
"I know it's hard. But, do it. Please. ~~ Sylwia
"Nothing comes easy. It's always a fight. ~~ Cathe
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 05:08 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I was doing a closet clean out, and weirdly enough, found some packets of cassia obovata tucked in a box. Used to use it for hair treatments that don't change my hair color. I wonder if it's still good? Might have to give it a try, but honestly, I'm not wild about the mess.
It *is* messy. I've gotten much better to where almost none falls down, but it took months and months (maybe over a year) of twice-per-month applications to get to this point. I've never used it but cassia is supposedly leaves a yellow/blonde dye on gray or light colored hair, so be careful if you are gray now and don't want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
beyond.omega - thank you so much for your post. I'm going to hold off on henna as my goal is to encourage my curls as much as possible and to steer clear of redness. I'm a dark brunette that is prone to brassiness.
Yeah, it sounds like it might not be for you. There is a way to mix it to get a brunette, but people report still having a slight reddish glow when they are in sunlight. Also, dye resistant hair won't get that dark brunette (mine won't, which is the only reason I use the 2-step process.)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 05:38 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
... I've never used it but cassia is supposedly leaves a yellow/blonde dye on gray or light colored hair, so be careful if you are gray now and don't want that.

I've used it many times and never once had any sort of change in my hair color. My gray hair is determined to just remain gray. My natural color is dark, though, especially now that all the strands that used to be a lighter shade have turned a uniform gray.
Old 01-09-17, 05:52 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
New products I tried in 2016 that I really like:

Trader Joes Nourish All in One Facial Cleanser, really glad I tried this on a whim. It has quickly become my favorite cleanser, I like it better than the more expensive cleansers including Paula’s Choice.

Andalou Naturals DIY Booster SPF 30 Facial Serum Unscented, best SPF I’ve ever used under makeup – light, absorbs quickly and doesn’t break me out.

Andalou Naturals Age Defying Revitalize Serum, also very light and absorbent and gets a high rating from Beautypedia.
I will have to try the TJs cleanser as an alternative to PC. I do have one and a quarter large bottles of the Moisture Boost cleanser left but if I can find something similar I will consider switching. Is the TJs for normal to dry skin?

Is the SPF 30 facial serum chemical or mineral based? Sounds like it is probably chemical if it doesn't break you out. I am also interested in the serum as I use Paula's and it is getting very expensive. I will have to check it out on Beautipedia to see if it has what I am looking for.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 06:22 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I've used it many times and never once had any sort of change in my hair color. My gray hair is determined to just remain gray. My natural color is dark, though, especially now that all the strands that used to be a lighter shade have turned a uniform gray.
Good to know!
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty thread, beauty tips, dr dray, hotandflashy, makeupalley, paulas choice