Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-17, 10:02 PM  
videofit

Beauty Thread 2017

Just watched one of my favorite youtubers in the makeup world, Emily Noel. She talks about the worst products of 2016
Old 01-02-17, 11:58 AM  
cyana

So what were your favorite and not-so-favorite beauty products of 2016? I work from home, which greatly reduced the amount of make-up I purchase, so I didn't try many new things.

I continued my quest to find my holy grail deodorant without nasty chemicals and the one that has worked best for me is Schmidt's. I use the stick (they also have a cream) and use the Lavender-Sage scent. I have kissed a lot of frogs in this quest!

I still use Juice Beauty SPF 30 Tinted Mineral Moisturizer as my foundation unless I need to get dressed up (then it's Estee Lauder Double Wear Light). I use the Ivory shade (I have fair skin) and it works fine to even out my skin tone. I don't need much coverage.

My one and only face cream is Tropical Traditions unscented Moisturizing Cream. Morning and night and it also gets tapped under my eyes. I use their lotions for my body moisturizer.

I need to find a different mascara for 2017. Most recently I purchased Cover Girl Clump Crusher. I was happy with the first tube, but thought it dried out quickly. I'm not as happy with the second tube. It seems to be more difficult to get the right amount on my lashes and I don't consider myself to be particularly demanding. Some mascaras irritate my eyes, so I'm reluctant to sink a ton of money into a mascara as some of the department store mascaras are the worst offenders.

Redkin Aerate08 is my go to hair styling product. Dear Redken - please back off the fragrance in your products. I use this whether I'm blowing my hair out straight or letting it air dry naturally. I've been embracing my increasingly curly hair and have been trying various Jessicurl products and appreciated being able to buy products in smaller sizes to sample. I really liked the Spiralicious. I've just treated myself to the collection for my hair type and will try to be better at using her techniques (it's hard to undo the habit of wrapping my hair up in a towel - even though it is microfiber - after doing that for so many years).

I'm also continuing to look for healthier versions of products as our personal care products can contain an amazing amount of not so healthy chemicals. EWG.org is a good resource if you're looking for more info in this area.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-17, 12:18 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I recently tried some new products that I like. I tried the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Rose. I am using it alone as a blush, and it gives a very natural, rosy glow to the cheeks. I have been using the Shimmer Brick in Bronze for years, but usually use it in the summer as blush and eyeshadow, and love it.

I recently tried Chanel Le Volume mascara, and like it a lot. It has a great applicator and goes on smoothly and evenly, without clumps. I have tried several different mascaras this year, because my all-time favorite, L'Oreal Lash Out, was discontinued. I tried and liked Lancome Grandiose mascara, and use it for going out because the thickening and lengthening effect is dramatic.

My dermatologist recommended NeoStrata Bionic face cream, and I like it. It seems to make the skin smoother and helps get rid of imperfections.

I also tried Lancome's Artliner eyeliner pens this year, and love them. I have never found eyeliner that looked good and was easy to apply, until using this one. I ended up buying several colors. The applicator allows for a thin or thick line.

2016 was a year of trying beauty products, and I found several good ones.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 10:12 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Rant alert: Paula's Choice is getting rid of their foundation. The All Bases Covered is the first and only foundation I have used with the exception of a short period when PC had production problems. I used MAC instead which I selected because I already used one of their concealers and I knew they would have a color that work. However I did not like the foundation. Too runny.

PC says they are discontinuing their makeup line and focusing on skin care. Yet they just released a set with eyeshadow and blush for on the go. I ranted to the rep on the phone and asked her for recommendations for foundation alternatives. She suggested Nars, Laura Mercier and IT Cosmetics products which I am sure are more expensive than the PC foundations.
She did say that in the spring they would be coming out with a limited run of a new foundation. This makes no sense. Why do a limited run of a NEW PRODUCT? Consumers would need to figure out the correct color before they purchased and then the product would become unavailable. Why not just keep their current foundations or do limited runs of them?

My other issue is that they could have sent emails to their regular customers alerting them that the products were being discontinued so they could stock up. Fortunately I have 3 tubes in my stash which should last me about a year. By that time maybe they will reverse this decision. It is possible that they may do this if enough people complain like they did for the moisture boost skincare line.
First world problem..trying to put into perspective.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 11:36 AM  
BunnyHop

Sorry to hear about the PC makeup issues. It's pretty much the main thing I dislike about them. IIRC, they went through some big corporate change a while back.

Foundation-wise, I like the Urban Decay Naked one. I'm one of those in between shades that most companies don't bother making (3.5) so this is nice.

I also like Alima minerals, apply them with a damp sponge. Again, they've got a good range of shades.

Is your skin oily or dry? Mine's oily, FWIW.
Old 01-06-17, 02:52 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

In 2016 I tried some new products -

Simone France - which I generally liked, but at times stopped using b/c it sometimes felt too drying. I do think there is something to their cleansing methods though as when I do use it, my pores do seem clearer and I do not need to use my BHA.

Hylamide Serums - got them on clearance at CVS and am pretty happy with them so far. They are fragrance free and don't irritate my skin.

Eucerin Daily Protection SPF 30 - this is no frills but I really like the texture - it may replace Cerave's SPF 30 - which always seemed a little "heavy" for me. Downside is no antioxidants......

Olay Deep Wrinkle Treatment - I really think this one works - the "commas" around my mouth do soften when I use this product regularly. I also use it around my eyes and on my forehead.

Olay Age Repair Lotion w/ Sunscreen SPF 30 - I like this one a lot - it is fragrance free, good texture for my skin.

Looking forward to hearing what others enjoy!

Leslie - I'm disappointed about the PC foundations, I like the barely there sheer matte tint. There is very little I like in the foundation world....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 05:11 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
So what were your favorite and not-so-favorite beauty products of 2016?
Great discussion idea!
Quote:
I continued my quest to find my holy grail deodorant without nasty chemicals and the one that has worked best for me is Schmidt's. I use the stick (they also have a cream) and use the Lavender-Sage scent. I have kissed a lot of frogs in this quest!
Schmidt's was my first natural deodorant and I never had to try anything else! I first tried the unscented in a tub I liked it, then got the Cedarwood-Juniper scent, and liked it well enough, but I think when I run out I will go back to the unscented. Question: I find I have to melt it in my hands before applying. How does the stick work? Does it go on easily?
Quote:
<snip>
I've been embracing my increasingly curly hair and have been trying various Jessicurl products and appreciated being able to buy products in smaller sizes to sample. I really liked the Spiralicious. I've just treated myself to the collection for my hair type and will try to be better at using her techniques (it's hard to undo the habit of wrapping my hair up in a towel - even though it is microfiber - after doing that for so many years).
It makes me happy when curly heads embrace their curl. I used to use Jessicurl styling products before I started coloring my hair with henna, and as a side effect, no longer needed styling products. However, this past year I grew my hair out (largely so I didn't need to get a haircut as often) and now realize I have lots more styling possibilities, so I'll probably be getting back into Jessicurl styling products this year.

I changed my henna hair coloring routine this year and started using amla as the acid, and it is working out amazingly. I had tried amla in the past, and at that time my hair thought it was an insult. Then I read that something about amla really lifts the hair keratin, and it is necessary to really to a post-application oil treatment (I use coconut oil) to get the keratin to settle back down. Doing it this way has been a game-changer for my curly hair.

Quote:
I'm also continuing to look for healthier versions of products as our personal care products can contain an amazing amount of not so healthy chemicals. EWG.org is a good resource if you're looking for more info in this area.
This is so true, and that is a good resource. I have backed off on the number of different personal care products I use and that has helped.

When I started using Alaffia hair and skin care products, I was able to reduce that load significantly, but alas, this year, Alaffia sort of let me down for the first time. I had started using their Everyday night cream as a facial moisturizer (along with a hydrating spray they make) and it worked ok for summer, but when fall/winter comes along, I need something more moisturizing/heavier. Also even in the spring I had some flaking with the the Everyday night cream. In the past I had used Dr. Hauschka Quince Day Cream in the winter as a moisturizer, but didn't want to shell out the money this year, so I started using some squalene I had lying around from a previous skin care experiment from years ago and find it works great for most days in the winter. (Remarkably, it was still good, but probably because olive oil squalene is extremely refined.) Days like today with highs in the teens/20s I need a little more and added this Arbordoun's cream I usually only use when I get waxing/threading on my face, and its working out fine.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 05:14 PM  
leigh1673

My favorite beauty find of 2016 was Dr. Denese skincare. I saw her on HSN and bought her Maximum Results 7-piece kit on a whim, and it's really working well for me. I'm getting more compliments on my skin! (although to be fair, I have started getting regular (every 4-6 weeks) microdermabrasion sessions, too.

My favorites of hers are the Advanced Firming facial pads and Hydroshield Ultra Moisturizing Serum.

Another naturally curly gal here! I like the Jessicurl products too! I'm recently back on a Devacurl kick and loving the Ultra Defining gel, Set it Free spray, and Beautiful Mess (I scrunch this in once my curls are 90% dry to take out any remaining "crunch").
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-17, 05:44 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Simone France - which I generally liked, but at times stopped using b/c it sometimes felt too drying. I do think there is something to their cleansing methods though as when I do use it, my pores do seem clearer and I do not need to use my BHA.

Simone France! I used that soap for ages and ages. It lasted a lovely long time. As you say, I think there's something to the technique. For me, actually washing my face with soap first thing in the AM really does make a difference, but I never did try her other products for as long. Loved the toner, but it was so expensive.

For me, in 2016, I wasn't much in to products, guess I had my focus elsewhere and stuck with what seems to be working fine so I could use things up.

I do think it's sad that drugstore.com is gone. Used to get all my Lipstick Queen lip stuff there. (But now we have it available in the Ulta that's a bit too far from my house to be really convenient.)
Old 01-06-17, 06:04 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

Eucerin Daily Protection SPF 30 - this is no frills but I really like the texture - it may replace Cerave's SPF 30 - which always seemed a little "heavy" for me. Downside is no antioxidants......
Donna -

I have combination (with some really oily spots), acne prone skin and this cheap, no thrills moisturizer is my HG. Doesn't break me out, doesn't make my face an oil slick. I do wish it had some antioxidants or something added to it, but maybe it's the bare bones nature of it that makes it right for my skin.

Since you like this moisturizer so much, you've made me curious about the Oil of Olay one that you mentioned. Do you find that one more moisturizing or that it leaves your face feeling more oily? That's my main problem with moisturizers and I get the oil slick look. If it's about the same as the Eucerin, I might give this a try.

Thanks!
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty thread, beauty tips, dr dray, hotandflashy, makeupalley, paulas choice