Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-16, 05:33 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
I did Bootcamp this morning. It was ok. Having only done it once I'm not so sure how I feel about the barbell going over the step move. She does use the step for elevated lunges which is fine. This has 6 rounds of cardio, lower body, compound lower body then upper. She doesn't kill you with endless reps but if you use the right weight, you'll feel it. The cardio was familiar moves- squats in a box, swim lunges. Lower body had lunges, sumo squats w/ barbell, upper had tricep dips, flies. So I'm guessing it's moves we've seen before w/ slight twists to them (using the step). I added the abs bonus on the end and that was really decent. Overall it was nice but not earth shattering for me. I wish the music was better and going OFF beat trips me up. GRRR!
My thought exactly about the barbell overhead on steps. Im not ashamed to admit that I didnt do those but did heavy kb snatches instead. I also modified the deadlift/overhead combo, since I can deadlift a lot more than I can overhead.This workout is not as clear cut as the original Bootcamp, but not bad. I don't think I would want to own it, but I can do it a few more times OnDemand until I cancel it again, hehe.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 06:26 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
My thought exactly about the barbell overhead on steps. Im not ashamed to admit that I didnt do those but did heavy kb snatches instead. I also modified the deadlift/overhead combo, since I can deadlift a lot more than I can overhead.This workout is not as clear cut as the original Bootcamp, but not bad. I don't think I would want to own it, but I can do it a few more times OnDemand until I cancel it again, hehe.
I did Bootcamp today, and I couldn't do the barbell over the step move simply because of lack of ceiling space. Instead I did one set of the clean and presses only, and for the second set did the over the step squat with no weight. I too can deadlift more than I can front raise, so I will have to modify that move next time. Overall I had a lot of fun with this one and the time went by quickly. I will certainly be doing this workout again.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 06:35 PM  
wendy2

I'm just previewing On Demand, but wanted to mention right away that Cathe is showing modifications during Boot Camp.
I did my own mix of Cardio Slam this morning, using only the sections that contained modifications. These are listed nicely so it's easy to put together your own premix.
So far I would say the music isn't as terrible as I thought it was from the clips. not great, but not worse than the Cathe Live stuff.
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-16, 07:20 AM  
cttx31

Previewing Cardio Slam right now with the modifications. I was liking it so far, and thinking I was glad she hadn't done any floor moves yet, but then she did several floor moves like burpees and spidermans. And no modification for the spiderman? That definitely needs a modification. And the modifications for the floor moves still go down on the floor. Am I the only one who refuses to do burpees or other cardio moves that quickly go down to the floor and back up. Luckily it's well chaptered so you can skip past individual moves. And there's always the "jog in place" modification.

Carol T.
cttx31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-16, 08:20 AM  
suzannaerin

I usually do speed skaters when she does burpee type moves
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-16, 08:27 AM  
deineira

Yeah, I can do burpees, but I am so tired of them. And mountain climbers. When those pop up I usually do high knees. I've started to sub standing mountain climbers for the ones on the ground.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-16, 08:29 AM  
cecififi

I did her new upper body workout this morning. I really enjoyed it. Each body part felt thoroughly worked and the combo of moves was different from her other offerings. I loved it. Great job on this one. I am really liking nicole - not sure why since she is off in the background. I liked the outfits too.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-16, 08:35 AM  
marki64

It depends what time I do my workout. If it's in the morning, I hate going to the floor. I usually do skiers, box hops, kick jumps or frog hops. Just find a fun, intense substitution. I guess I find I do that a lot. Please tell me there are no power 15's, side lunge on the step or around-the-worlds. Really got tired of them with Cathe workouts.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-16, 08:50 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

This morning I did PHA Training. Ok, I'm going to admit that I followed the weight suggestions for the first round of each set (there are two sets of six exercises, repeated three times). The second and third rounds I kept the lower body weights the same but had to drop down to my 12 lb. dumbbells when Cathe and crew were using their 15 lb. dumbbells for upper body. I found myself using momentum to get the weights up in the shoulder press and biceps curls so I decided it was better for me to just take it down a notch.

I enjoyed it a lot and after doing it, the premixes make sense because I know what 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, and 2C mean, lol. I think I'll get a lot of use out of the premixes (and the Workout Blender on her website) because it'll take the boredom factor out of repeating something three times.

ETA: That I agree, the PHA Training dvd pace is slowed down a bit as compared to the Cathe Live versions. I enjoy both versions though because you get ALOT done in about 45 minutes!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-16, 09:08 AM  
muggle

I did Cardio slam this morning. It has 3 segments- floor, mat and step. The step is just the platform. You do one drill after another. Some of the floor moves your holding either 3 or 5 lb weights. There are NO power 7's or 15's. All the moves get your HR up there nicely. I'll have to make a note to wear WAGS to protect my wrists because of the burpees etc. Overall I really liked this. Some of the moves are slam its, hop forward-back, plyo lunges, football runs, jack sequences. Nothing tricky about it. Just straight forward work. Loved it!
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, peripheral heart action, reviews, strong and sweaty, strong and sweaty reviews, total body giant sets