Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-16, 11:54 AM  
mlroman

RehabZone?

I seem to have really messed up my back. =( It's been giving me problems fairly often whenever I stand for a while, or try to sweep the porch, or move or breath. Yesterday I made the mistake of trying to sit on a picnic table bench, and I could barely walk afterwards. I have the Viniyoga for the Upper and Lower Back dvds and they seem to help a good bit when I'm in spasm, but I'd really like to stop the spasming before it starts. I'm very out of shape, and my core is very weak.

So I went to Amazon and searched on "Physical Therapy for Back" in movies, and "RehabZone Lower Back and Core Exercise Plan: Physician endorsed low back pain home exercise program" came up. It's 12 progressive 20-minute core/back workouts, starting with very gentle. I searched the board here, but don't find anything about it. Anyone tried this one?

https://www.amazon.com/RehabZone-Low...ords=rehabzone

Still just bein' a mel...
mlroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 12:03 PM  
mlroman

I found a little story on their local NBC news about the program. This looks really good to me. As soon as I get the money together, I think I'm buying this one!

https://youtu.be/1zgzKsTjWOI

Old 07-03-16, 01:04 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Looks interesting. I'd like to see more of a clip from the DVDs than shown on the news segment. $69.95 is a lot to invest. I tried googling them but got a security warning so I turned away.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 01:31 PM  
little bird

You might try this one. I do the flexibility segment of this one frequently.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rehab-Your-B...YW5jk2qzFSN-Mg
Old 07-03-16, 03:01 PM  
mlroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Looks interesting. I'd like to see more of a clip from the DVDs than shown on the news segment. $69.95 is a lot to invest. I tried googling them but got a security warning so I turned away.
It is expensive, I agree. But basically, what I get is that it's leading you through PT exercises so that you don't have to figure them out from paper and do them on your own. A PT session would be expensive, so if I could do it myself, that would be great. (And I don't work well with paper. I don't keep form and rush if I don't have someone leading me.)

I got a web warning saying the site was misconfigured when I tried to go to the "buy dvd" page on their website, but that was the only place I got it. So I definitely wouldn't click through and put in credit card info! But the "contact us" page said the price trough their site is $79.95, anyway. Cheaper at Amazon.

The rest of their site can be viewed. There's a few other little videos here, but I don't see more of a preview:
http://www.therehabzone.com/media/

The main doc here works for the Imperial Health Center for Orthopedics, so it looks like he's legit:
http://centerforortho.com/doctors/Dr-Craig-Morton

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bird View Post
You might try this one. I do the flexibility segment of this one frequently
Definitely a nicer price for that one! =) Thank you for the suggestion - I'll look at it, too!

Old 07-03-16, 03:14 PM  
mlroman

The Rehab Your Body looks nice - I may get that, too! I love that it has additional body parts like knee and foot rather than just lower back. But it looks more like the Jill Miller Yoga Tune Ups, where there are a few short workouts for each body part, or the Viniyoga that I use when I'm in a spasm. What I like about the RehabZone is that it's geared towards progressive strengthening of the back and core so that you stop getting the attacks in the first place, and that it starts at a very beginner level.

ETA ~ My library has Rehab Your Body, so I can check it out. Yay! *Requesting now*

Old 07-04-16, 04:26 AM  
little bird

Quote:
ETA ~ My library has Rehab Your Body, so I can check it out. Yay! *Requesting now*
Great! So you won't waste money just in case you don't like it. I use it occasionally when I am having minor aches in specific areas but primarily do the Total Body Flexibility workouts.
Old 07-11-16, 08:50 PM  
mlroman

I did decide to buy RehabZone, and it came today. In case anyone was interested in this, I'll cross-post from my check-in (Beginners, Perennial Beginners and Restarters).

There are 3 phases, 4 workouts per phase. Per the literature, Phase 1 is introductory flexibility and stability movements; spinal activation; core stabilization. Phase 2 is dynamic core stability; strengthening exercises; increased flexibility. And Phase 3 is maximized movements; reinforcements of flexibility, core stability & strength; endurance. Each workout is around 20 minutes. You start with Phase 1 Workout 1 and do it 3-5 times per week until it is easy every day for one week. Then you move to the next workout. Continue through like this.

All workouts are in the same brightly lit workout room, in front of a window with a blind drawn - it's a nice, clean set. All use one trainer with one female model. All phases use a workout mat, kitchen chair (without arms), and beach towel or small rope (or yoga strap). Phases 2 and 3 add light weights. There is quiet pianoish music, but nothing driving and you probably won't notice it unless you think to listen - nice but unobtrusive. The trainer talks through the whole thing, but not chit chat. Around 90% of his talk is movement instruction and form pointers, a bit of encouragement, and sometimes counting of the last few reps. He is friendly and encouraging.

In the clip I posted before they show a few seconds of the video set around 1:40:
https://youtu.be/1zgzKsTjWOI

Phase 1 starts with pretty basic exercises - and I was spasming all through. My lats were bad today. Every time I twisted, it felt like a charlie horse in the side of my back. My hips were bad, too. I have a feeling it's going to take me a while to get through these 12 workouts! The nice thing is that I can't avoid what's hard for me. For instance, that exercise where you stand straight, clasp your hands behind your back, and raise your arms. I can't do it at all. I can clasp my hands, and can't raise them. With most programs - or just doing what I want when I want - I try it, can't do it, and won't be asked to try again for quite some time. With this, I'll have to keep practicing and strengthen important moves. (Although the trainer says if an exercise causes you pain, try the modification. If the modification causes you pain, stop and wait for the next exercise. So I won't be hurting myself - just not avoiding difficult moves.) I watched Phase 3 Workout 4 and it's a pretty major gain - although I watched a few in between on fast-forward and it's a very gradual increase in difficulty.

Here's the breakdown of Phase 1 Workout 1:

RehabZone Phase 1 Workout 1 – 24 minutes total
Most moves repeated for around 6-8 slow reps.

Warmup – 5 minutes
1.Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, hands on hips. Right knee up towards chest, down. Left knee up towards chest, down.

2.Stand with feet together, arms straight out to sides, hands in fists. Make small circles forward. Change to small circles back, squeezing shoulder blades together each time.

3.Stand with hands on hips, side-step right and left.

4.“Dead lift”. Stand straight with hands on hips, feet together, straight legs. Bend forward with bum out until the top of your back starts to curve. Then straighten and start again.

5.Stand with arms bent at 90 degree angle in front of face. Keep face forward. Take arms and upper torso to right, center, left, center.

6.Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Raise up on toes, and lower slowly down.

Core Stability – 9 minutes
At this point the trainer walks you through the proper way to get down onto the floor, every time. Hands to right thigh, step forward, right knee to 90 degrees and kneel on left knee, right knee in so you're kneeling on both knees, hands down to all fours, roll hips down to side to sit on one hip, and roll to sit.

1.Lay on back, knees bent, feet on floor. To learn to engage core. Inhale and move stomach as high as possible, exhale and move belly-button to mat, activate spine.

2.Lay on back, knees bent, feet on floor. Inhale and arch back up from mat as high as possible (keeping buttocks on floor), exhale and move belly-button to mat, activate spine.

3.Lay on back, knees bent, feet on floor. Lift right leg 90 degrees, down. Lift left leg 90 degrees, down.

4.Isometric hip raises. Raise right knee to chest at 90 degrees. Place both hands on right thigh and push knee against hands towards chest. Hold. Place right leg on floor. Raise left leg and repeat.

5.Bridge – roll up hips, activate abs, lift hips 3-4 inches from floor, activate abs, lower back to floor (hips still tilted), lower hips all the way down.

Here he walks you through how to get up, which is opposite of getting down. Roll over to hands and knees, up to knees, one knee forward, hands on forward thigh and press to stand.

6.Sit forward on the end of your chair. Raise right arm straight up towards ceiling and press. Extend left arm straight down towards floor and press. Lift left knee up towards chest. Switch – lower right arm, raise left arm, lower left leg, raise right leg all at same time. Switch several times. Talk of “lift your knee as high as you can, even if it's just one inch. That's your starting point. Go for your personal best. Activate your abs the whole way through.”

7.Remain seated at the end of the chair. Put hands on hips. Lift left knee as high as you can towards your chest, straighten leg out, bend knee towards chest again, lower leg. Repeat on right.

8.Back down to lie on your stomach. Place your forehead on the floor and stretch your arms out overhead. Stretch your right arm out and lift up, then lower. Stretch your left arm out and lift up, then lower. Stretch your right leg out and lift up, then lower. Stretch your left let out and lift up, then lower. Repeat whole sequence 4 times.

Flexibility – 9 min
Trainer instructs that on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being really feeling uncomfortable and burning a lot, you should be doing the stretches around an 8 to get the benefit. It should burn, but not cause pain.

1.Flip to your back for “supine knees into chest”. Lay on your back, hold your shins, or hamstrings if you can't reach your shins. Pull your knees into your chest. “If you can only do 90 degrees, that's fine, that's your starting point. Remember, this is a lifestyle, not a 3 or 6 week plan. It's something you'll do over the next 10 years to keep strong and healthy.”

2.Place your feet flat to the floor, knees bent. Drop your knees to the right, raise to the center, drop knees to the left, center. Reminder to keep your core tight.

3.Hamstring stretch with towel. Laying on your back, bend your legs. Raise your left leg knee-to-chest and put a folded towel over your foot, raise leg as straight up towards the ceiling as it will go. If this is easy, straighten your right leg along the floor. Hold. Switch legs.

4.Roll to your stomach for cobra stretch on forearms.

5.Stand up and sit on chair for seated glute stretch. Bend raise right knee and place right ankle on left thigh and fold forward. Reminder to keep stretches at an 8 out of 10.

6.Standing hip flex. Step right leg forward, bend right knee to 90 degrees and left knee to kneeling. Lean forward and press hips down until you feel the stretch to an 8.

7.Standing chest stretch. Stand straight with hands clasped behind your back. Stretch through your shoulders and chest. If you're not feeling the stretch, raise your arms as high as you can.

8.Lat stretch. Clasp hands in front of you with index fingers pointing out. Raise your arms straight above your head, pointing up at the ceiling. Lean to the right as far as you can, center, then to the left, center.

Old 07-12-16, 05:38 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Miroman - Thank You so much for your breakdown!! That took a lot of time to prepare; it's much appreciated. Hmmm, I'm still interested
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 01:49 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I agree, thank you for taking the time to do the breakdown and posting. I was very interested in this program when you first posted it, but I really can't afford to buy new DVDs right now (especially one at this price point.) But it sounds like a great program and that it's worth it.

I'm curious, so how do the other programs in the same phase differ? Also, what are in the next phases? Is it the same exercises "modified" to be more difficult, or is it new exercises?

I'm sorry you are in pain and having tension right now. Do you have Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief dvd? It's a VF favorite and always helps me when I am in tension and even spasm. The Passive Neck/Shoulder/Upperback routine really gives me quick relief for the entire upper body, and the SI Joint routine gives me relief for my hips as well as my lower back. These routines clock in at 20 and 35 minutes respectively, so you might be able to either do one or the other as an add-on, or alternate them in until you get stronger and don't end up in spasm.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back issues, physical therapy, rehabzone