Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-12, 09:15 AM  
momofcha

Help - I have a square butt....

What could it be from??? I have been focusing on barre - P57 and kettlebells mostly. I don't do any tall box work, or step aerobics.....

Help!!!!! Any ideas?

tia

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 09:34 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Going from my own experience, I think it may be the barre work. I haven't done P57 so I'm not sure how different that is from other barre work, but when I was doing more Core Fusion type of barre I did develop more of that upper butt muscle (with a little extra fat I'm sure) that gave me a square-ish look. I never got that look from the Firm step-ups as I've heard others say happened to them.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 09:57 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Going from my own experience, I think it may be the barre work. I haven't done P57 so I'm not sure how different that is from other barre work, but when I was doing more Core Fusion type of barre I did develop more of that upper butt muscle (with a little extra fat I'm sure) that gave me a square-ish look. I never got that look from the Firm step-ups as I've heard others say happened to them.
Ugh. I hate tall box work because it builds my thighs too much. I'll have to figure out a plan.. Scale back on the barre stuff.... I'll look into my tonique stuff as well.

thanks.

keep the suggestions coming...

Old 11-15-12, 10:11 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Sue - Have you been doing a lot of pretzel work in your barre workouts? I haven't experienced this personally, but I remember that Leah Sarago explained that this movement can contribute to a "square butt" and should not be done more than twice a week.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 10:17 AM  
Tish

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Yep, I agree with this. I've had barre butt bulk happening and had to back off to 1x per week or less. I've added in Jackie Warner's workouts and already my pants fit a bit better after a week and a half since my last barre workout. It's a shame because I love barre.

ETA: Fuzzie is right about pretzel. But I've also noticed when you turn up the hip for long lever pulses, it also works the upper glute/hip area just like pretzel.
Old 11-15-12, 10:29 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Sue - Have you been doing a lot of pretzel work in your barre workouts? I haven't experienced this personally, but I remember that Leah Sarago explained that this movement can contribute to a "square butt" and should not be done more than twice a week.
I remember that as well - I can't remember the last time I've done pretzel for that very reason....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish View Post
Yep, I agree with this. I've had barre butt bulk happening and had to back off to 1x per week or less. I've added in Jackie Warner's workouts and already my pants fit a bit better after a week and a half since my last barre workout. It's a shame because I love barre.
Wahhh... I love barre too, but do NOT like my square butt.....

thanks!

Old 11-15-12, 11:52 AM  
Ann1964

Better square than flat like mine... LOL
(I think)
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 01:26 PM  
Yvette69

I always add in BBL High and Tight and/or Andrea Orbeck's DVD once a week to counteract square barre butt.

I also like doing the seat section of Dancer's Body with 1/2 kilo ankle weights to keep things lifted.
Yvette69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 04:54 PM  
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
Ugh. I hate tall box work because it builds my thighs too much.
Sue, when you do tall box work do you focus on pushing through your heel? I am sure you do, but sometimes I forget and find myself pushing more from the front of my foot then my heel. I have to really focus in on pushing from my heel to activate the glute muscle.

Oh, also I find stiff legged deadlifts using heavy weights perks my butt right up. But again focusing in on pushing through the heel.

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 05:33 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Sue, when you do tall box work do you focus on pushing through your heel? I am sure you do, but sometimes I forget and find myself pushing more from the front of my foot then my heel. I have to really focus in on pushing from my heel to activate the glute muscle.

Oh, also I find stiff legged deadlifts using heavy weights perks my butt right up. But again focusing in on pushing through the heel.
I honestly don't even remember. It's probably been 10+ years since I've done it.

Tags
gluteus medius, medial glutes, spongebob butt, square butt