Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-19, 11:18 AM  
laurajhawk

Thanks for your review, Stephanie! I was interested in CSO because I have a weighted vest sitting around unutilized, but I also have a bunch of KCMs sitting around underutilized, so I didn't preorder. Your description of the workout makes me interested again, but the inability to play workout 2 separately is off-putting. I'll need to think about it.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 01:24 PM  
Non-Dancer

Workout Description

Before I ordered Cardio Sculpt Overload, I wondered if this DVD had 2 workouts because her website description did not mention 2 workouts. Now that I have it, I see it as one workout that can be extended by 1 to 3 segments of 7-8 minutes each.

When you click on "Start Workout," you get:

Warm up and main workout consisting of 16 chapters and is 25:55" long. You then get a choice to "Keep Going" to the first 7-8 minute add-on or "Go to Stretch" to end your workout there. If you go to the stretch, your workout will be 28:47 minutes if my calculations are correct.

The first add-on has 7 chapters and is 7:53" long. Choose to "Keep Going" or "Go to Stretch."

The second add-on has 7 chapters and is 7:39" long. Choose "Keep Going" or stretch.

The third add-on has 7 chapters and is 7:17" long. Afterwards you go to the stretch (2:33").

If you do the workout with all the add-ons, it totals 51:46 minutes.

There are six 30-ish minute premixes, and 4 forty-minute premixes of the whole workout omitting either the low impact moves, the boxing moves, the lower body moves, or the compound moves.

Personally, I was not annoyed by the voice instruction she would give in the premixes. Maybe others don't need the brief rest, but I do. And, yes, she does boxing moves more slowly when holding weights.

Linda
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 02:21 PM  
owltx

Linda, it's an excellent point - in the description she does say "workout". I just made the assumption it would be two w/her usual 30MTF format, so that's my bad. I edited my comment above to make it more clear that the assumption was totally on my part.

So from that point of view, what you are actually getting then is the one workout w/extended options. From the description: ". . . choice to go beyond your usual 30 minute workout by 8, 16 or 24 extra minutes to further overload your session!" That explains the second transition slide (the low impact) in the premix I did - she must have that in front of each individual extended option.
Old 08-28-19, 02:34 PM  
laurajhawk

That makes sense, and now I'm interested again. I would use weighted gloves for the boxing. I might wait until Mary gets it in stock.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 06:17 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I just got both workouts a couple days ago and did the Strong workout from Strong and Lean. I liked it and time flies when you're having fun (or working hard!) I have a barbell, but opted for using hand weights since I've been nursing a shoulder injury. I also went light with the weights where shoulders were concerned. I also went light with the resistance band (and it was still very challenging for me!) I'm sure I will like this even more my next time through, now that I know what to expect (since I never usually preview first.)

I did the regular workout but took a look at the premixes. It was nice to see that you had the option to skip specific body parts worked (shoulders, legs, etc.) or type of weights used (barbell, dumbbells, or resistance band) or to do the cardio segments with the strength workout.

Happy to have pre-ordered, as I usually do and I like Kelly very much (as well as her workouts!)

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 11:38 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I did notice on the description of Cardo Sculpt Overload on the back of the case that it says "Both Workouts".

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 01:02 AM  
Non-Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
I did notice on the description of Cardo Sculpt Overload on the back of the case that it says "Both Workouts".
Another example of poor proofreading of the text, perhaps?

Linda
Non-Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 03:34 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
And furthermore, there shouldn't even be a hyphen in "30 Minutes to Fitness"!
hmmm THANKS, Juliepie LOL. For some reason I have just blown by it, and now I am fixated on that unnecessary hyphen!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 03:47 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
hmmm THANKS, Juliepie LOL. For some reason I have just blown by it, and now I am fixated on that unnecessary hyphen!
It will haunt your dreams...

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 09:44 AM  
owltx

This morning I did Strong and Lean - I did the strong and lean interval premix, which consists of intervals of kickboxing and lifting. I also did the extended add-on. As I suspected from the preview: I love this one! The workout flowed well, I enjoyed the moves and time just flew by.

Kelly has two background exercisers here; Sammy and Jayne. The Strong portion is by body part, with three different moves each utilizing the barbell, then dumbbells, then tubing. You could easily sub dumbbells for her barbell moves. The body parts are: bi's, back, legs & glutes, tri's, shoulders and chest. Since I was doing the premix, you had one round of kickboxing and then one round of strength training by body part for twelve rounds total.

Pros: as with CSO, great uncluttered bright background. And, as with CSO, lots of nice premix choices. I really liked the format of the strength with different moves and equipment for each segment. Definitely helps with the boredom factor - and why I wasn't really watching the clock with this one. The boxing segments were nice tie-ins to the weight work - segments moving at a medium-to-fast pace. I really liked the second boxing segment; it was a lot of fun. Kelly really shines in this one, IMHO; great repertoire with Sammy and Jayne and encouraging in general. There were transition slides in this one but not all of them had voice-overs and they were much shorter, so I found them very smooth and really barely noticed them. The extended add-on was really good too - short but powerful. It had hip thrusts w/the barbell, knee-ins, reverse crunches and then a modified turkish get-up with the dumbbell.

Cons: Extremely minor quibble - at the very end we went to chest and she had the transition slide that said chest and we did barbell presses and then the slide came on and she said chest again and I thought: nooooo - no way am I doing presses again lady! but luckily it was just a blip and it went straight to the next move (flies). Like I said, minor quibble, just a minor editing blip. And since I didn't have to repeat the presses, all was good.

Like I said, for me this one was a winner! So glad I ended up pre-ordering this one (I was really on the fence). I think this will get a lot of use in my collection.

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey-meyer