Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-19, 09:58 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Exclamation Gadget flashback: The Relax-a-cizor

"The Fitness Wearable So Dangerous It Was Supposed to Be Destroyed"

https://gizmodo.com/the-fitness-wear...-be-1716877387

My mom had one of these. I had no idea it was dangerous!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 12:25 PM  
wendug

That device sounds absolutely horrifying! Thankfully the science of exercise has come a long way since then. Yeah, there are still gimmicky gadgets, but hopefully not as dangerous as the relax-a-cizer!
Old 08-29-19, 12:39 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Um, the dude with the radio looks pretty relaxed. Where is he wearing his Relax-A-Cizor?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 01:18 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Um, the dude with the radio looks pretty relaxed. Where is he wearing his Relax-A-Cizor?
HAHAHAHA! He sure is smiling!

I always liked that treadmill thing that had a "conveyor belt" around your waist and would jiggle you like crazy. Cracked me up!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 01:19 PM  
red1013

How unfair that only the man gets "sexy exercise"!
Old 08-29-19, 01:56 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1013 View Post
I think women would benefit more from this device for "sexy" exercise. Men might be a bit apprehensive with electrical devices near their manhood. That's why therapeutic "massagers" are geared toward women not men.
Old 08-30-19, 03:49 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
i think the box controls his device. that one looks scary too.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 08:04 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1013 View Post
There's a variation reproduced on Reddit (r/vintageads) with a section beginning Sexy Exercise Is For Her, Too! It mentions buying two smaller units or a larger unit that two people can use together. "Relax-A-cizor is famous for reducing the size of distaff hips, waistlines, tummies and thighs in a delightfully effortless way!" Why should ineffective devices, body shame, paralysis, and miscarriage be restricted to men alone when selling to women as well can bring in more money?

(The chart at the top of the original article has an "IMPORTANT NOTE" in red, which I read more closely because I suspected it to be a contextually ironic safety warning. Instead, it says, "Concentrate treatments in areas that are most out of proportion. You may select ANY combination of placements to suit your particular figure problem." All types of people can have flawed physiques that fitness-ish products can remedy--how egalitarian! )
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 10:58 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Bad girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
There's a variation reproduced on Reddit (r/vintageads) with a section beginning Sexy Exercise Is For Her, Too! It mentions buying two smaller units or a larger unit that two people can use together. "Relax-A-cizor is famous for reducing the size of distaff hips, waistlines, tummies and thighs in a delightfully effortless way!" Why should ineffective devices, body shame, paralysis, and miscarriage be restricted to men alone when selling to women as well can bring in more money?

(The chart at the top of the original article has an "IMPORTANT NOTE" in red, which I read more closely because I suspected it to be a contextually ironic safety warning. Instead, it says, "Concentrate treatments in areas that are most out of proportion. You may select ANY combination of placements to suit your particular figure problem." All types of people can have flawed physiques that fitness-ish products can remedy--how egalitarian! )
No body is perfect!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gadget flashback, gadgets, relax-a-cizor, relaxacizor