Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-20, 08:51 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I went to Stop & Shop last night and was shocked at some of the price increases. They had some flavors of Progresso soups back in the aisle again but they jumped to almost $3.00 per can! The price of butter has definitely skyrocketed. Store brand costs what Horizon Organic cost before the pandemic. You had no choice though - it was S&S butter or S&S margarine (gag) and a few other tubs of margarine, even that stuff is in short supply.

Whew. At least eggs were stocked.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 11:20 AM  
ChelePA

On the news, they said prices are the highest they have been in 50 years.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 11:46 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Not only am I spending more, but I'm also having a harder time finding anything. The latest casualty of hoarding is Spam. DH put it on the list but I couldn't find a single can of Spam anywhere. Soup and canned vegetables are also still in short supply. And rice.
Old 05-13-20, 11:48 AM  
sherry7899

After looking for weeks, I was able to get the dried beans I was looking for. I have started cooking them in the Instant Pot, which is so easy and cheap.

Our son loves Mission flour tortillas, and they are consistently out of stock. That is an odd thing for people to start buying all of a sudden.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 12:56 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've posted before about not being able to find the mainstream - and cheaper - gluten free bread products.

I contacted the Glutino company about it, and the response came from Conagra. Aah - lightbulb moment. Here are the food manufacturers that full under the Conagra umbrella:

https://www.conagrabrands.com/brands

A lot of facilities have been halting production because of COVID infections among the employees. So it makes sense that so many brands are off the shelves for now.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 01:12 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

We eat a lot of brown rice and it's hard to find in stores. I ended up ordering some on Amazon for a premium price.

I guess that's going to be the new normal for a while.

Our mayor is talking about extending many of the restrictions until August.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 02:26 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I went to Stop & Shop last night and was shocked at some of the price increases. They had some flavors of Progresso soups back in the aisle again but they jumped to almost $3.00 per can! The price of butter has definitely skyrocketed. Store brand costs what Horizon Organic cost before the pandemic. You had no choice though - it was S&S butter or S&S margarine (gag) and a few other tubs of margarine, even that stuff is in short supply.

Whew. At least eggs were stocked.
Can someone explain why butter/margarine are scarce and/or limited when purchasing? I don't use either one with rare exceptions, but I'm just curious.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 02:36 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Can someone explain why butter/margarine are scarce and/or limited when purchasing? I don't use either one with rare exceptions, but I'm just curious.

Kim
Butter has been OK here except for right at the beginning, but I've noticed that the aisle of "baking stuff" is still badly depleted. People are cooking/baking at home much more than usual, both because they're not eating out and because some have time to spare, and I can imagine they're using a lot more butter.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 02:39 PM  
BigBadBetty

The big supermarket in my area has most things in stock. When this pandemic first started, they raised the price of eggs and were limiting them. Last week, I noticed that they have removed the restriction on amount and have lower the prices back to normal.

Their sales have not been as good as before the pandemic. I like to keep a particular low-calorie frozen pizza on hand for times that I am too busy to cook. This brand was always on sale for about $3/each. It's now on sale for $4.45. The small town Piggly Wiggly sells it for $7. The small town store has a lot of shortages. Their prices have always been ridiculously high so I am not sure if it worse than normal. We usually just drive once a week to the big supermarket. Better prices and better selection. More people wear masks and keep their distance better at the big supermarket, too.

The big supermarket finally have yeast back in stock. They still don't have Clorox wipes or Maesri Thai red curry paste (but they have green, panang, etc.). I have been able to find everything else.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 11:14 PM  
Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post

Our son loves Mission flour tortillas, and they are consistently out of stock. That is an odd thing for people to start buying all of a sudden.

Sherry
My maternal grandmother made the best homemade flour tortillas! After she passed, we just ended up buying locally freshly made tortillas but since the quarantine, it's hard to justify going out just to buy tortillas!

I started making my own using this recipe: https://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/fl...las-de-harina/

I discovered that the dough is easier to roll out after it's been resting for quite a while.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19