Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-10, 05:14 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Any experience with the MELT Method?

glamgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 07:13 AM  
Snuckles

Looks interesting as I'm sure that I have an imbalance in my back.
Snuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 08:44 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

I asked about this a year ago. Here is the thread http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=137342

I sure wish someone would buy the kit and report back
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 09:09 AM  
KathAL79

I just remember the old thread, too.
Just in case anyone missed it the first time, yes, it's the same Sue Hitzman who did Crunch Boot Camp.
Jill Miller is friends with Sue and has written on Facebook that she's attended a demonstration of and likes Sue's MELT method, which is interesting because Jill has her own set of Yoga Tune Up balls and CDs / DVDs showing her method. So there must be a significant enough difference between the two styles (even if they are friends promoting each other's stuff).

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 11:37 AM  
junadelam

I went to a MELT class at the Breathing Project in Manhattan last month. The sequence was more subtle than foam rolling and the ball work more gentle than the Miller kit (though I've only tried JM's upper back/neck CD).

It's worth going to a class--an affordable alternative or supplement to a massage.
junadelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 12:04 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

glamgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 10:06 AM  
junadelam

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
Maybe I need to go ahead and order this. I hold all of my stress in my neck and shoulders and very rarely have the time to schedule a massage (I work full time and attend university classes half time). Perhaps this, in conjunction with Classical Stretch, would help with the tightness in my neck and shoulders...
I'm not familiar with the MELT media. The class didn't wow me, but it was nice. I think I prefer Jill Miller's media. Her CD and pinky balls for the upper back and neck have been hands down the most effective thing I've ever tried.

I found that routine sometimes better than a real massage. Highly recommended.
Old 03-27-10, 03:08 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

The Washington Post had a brief mention of the Melt Method and other fascial relief products this week, so I'm reviving this thread.

I'm a sucker for anything that promises a miracle cure of my low back pain, but I don't understand how this particular Melt Method DVD -- a foot and hand manipulation -- will help it much. This is the only DVD they have out at the moment. I don't really want to buy a hand/foot one only to have them come out with a back one the week later, but they do claim this hand/foot one helps the back.

I found some youtube videos of the Melt Method that require foam rollers:

back
neck
Old 03-28-10, 09:36 AM  
junadelam

Sarah,

I only went to one class, so take this with a grain of salt. It was explained that the class begins with work on either the hands or the feet. In my class, we started with the feet. The rest was work on a foam roller, targeting the neck, upper and lower back, and hips. Most of the moves were subtle.

But I also like the less subtle foam roller work I've seen on other videos--the "ironing out" of sore or tight spots.

The MELT DVDs seemed pricey to me ($50 at the studio), though they come with balls. I think I'd prefer to get the complete Miller set before I'd spring for these.
Old 03-28-10, 10:19 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Thanks for the info. I think it's neat you have gone to these types of classes.
I have the book Permanent Pain Cure, which is all about fascia relief, but I have honestly never utilized the stretches in it (first chapter said give up sugar, so I put the book down and walked away ). It would be nice to have a DVD on this subject, but $40 is also nice to keep around.

What I picked up on the Melt Method website is that if you have lower back pain, you should be using SOFT foam rollers when you work on your back. Perhaps that's why the Trudie Styler foam roller DVD hurt me so much. I will try using a towel or rolled up yoga mat before using my hard roller on my back again. That might just be a very helpful tip for me.

I'll look into the Jill Miller. I have a theory, though, that things like Miracle Balls etc. work better for the upper back than lower back. Because I have not found much relief using tennis balls, miracle balls, etc.

Tags
m.e.l.t., melt method, sue hitzman, sue hitzmann