Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-10, 09:08 AM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Hillary Rubin Yoga Foundations DVD

I received an email from Fitness Organica about a new yoga DVD Yoga Foundations with Hillary Rubin.

Hillary Rubin is an Anusara yoga instructor with MS who credits yoga with keeping her symptom-free and medication-free.

There are video clips at http://fitnessorganica.com/products/...undations.html and http://www.filmbaby.com/films/3312

Hillary's website is http://www.hillaryrubin.com/ and she also has a podcast.

I like what I saw in the video clips a lot! When I can make it to a live yoga class I usually take an Anusara class and this DVD looks similar to my live classes.

Has anyone tried this DVD? Anyone else going to order besides me?

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 09:31 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Danielle, I decided to go for this one.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the talk about yoga having kept her MS symptom-free -- too much like magical thinking for me, and what about those who aren't symptom free, are they bad people? blablablabla -- anyway, a major pet peeve of mine.

However, the blablabla being bla'd, yoga can definitely help people live with MS and many other physical conditions and can be immeasurable helpful in restoring and maintaining a sense of physical confidence and mental presence. I do like her manner and I'm interested in seeing what she does with the chair practice. I did anusara regularly for a few years and found it an interesting way to get more serious about alignment, while maintaining a bit of flow in your practice.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 10:15 AM  
KathAL79

I'm looking forward to hearing comments from anyone who gets this.

I've been intrigued by what I've experienced of Anusara on media. Live Anusara instruction is surprisingly hard to find in my area, other than a tiny handful who claim some Anusara inspiration in amongst eighteen other influences.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 10:19 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post

I've been intrigued by what I've experienced of Anusara on media. Live Anusara instruction is surprisingly hard to find in my area, other than a tiny handful who claim some Anusara inspiration in amongst eighteen other influences.
Too bad about the classes Kath -- so much of anusara is in the in person form correction and assists.

Ishwari Gonnat's Heart Flow Vinyasa is an excellent, and typical, anusara DVD.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
Old 02-28-10, 11:23 AM  
junadelam

Sharon, those were my thoughts about her medical claims, too.

I downloaded a bunch of HR's podcasts years ago. She used to have many practices available for free on iTunes--not sure if that's still the case. The practices were fine, but there was more talking than I like.

From the clips, it looks like most of the talking in the DVD is directed at alignment, which I find helpful. I'm putting this one on my wishlist.
junadelam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 12:17 PM  
herya

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post

Just passing by

Kath, if you'd like to experience more "hands on" Anusara via video, there is a full length free class on Youtube - it's a recording of live class, very down to earth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZyuvVPDLfk

I also found a new website http://www.yogaglo.com (via YouTube as well) & they offer class recordings as a subscription service. I am hesitant as I prefer downloads but the teachers featured are top class. I inquired whether they plan to offer downloads but still waiting for their reply.

Recently I've been taking more live Anusara classes and I find most standard yoga DVDs quite bland, you never go as deep and no one is watching you I got a new DVD though - Vinyasa Flow with Maral Hadidi - and although it's billed as Vinyasa it is in fact very Anusara-infused with long holds and getting into the poses. I believe Maral studied with John Friend.
Old 02-28-10, 12:27 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herya View Post
Just passing by

Recently I've been taking more live Anusara classes and I find most standard yoga DVDs quite bland, you never go as deep and no one is watching you I got a new DVD though - Vinyasa Flow with Maral Hadidi - and although it's billed as Vinyasa it is in fact very Anusara-infused with long holds and getting into the poses. I believe Maral studied with John Friend.
No, there's no substitute for live class, although I agree that the Hadidi is nice, even though I prefer the Gonnot. And of course there are the Friend DVDs -- great way to get close to anusara. It's great fun to attend his sessions if you get the chance. Highly recommended.

Old 02-28-10, 12:48 PM  
herya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
No, there's no substitute for live class, although I agree that the Hadidi is nice, even though I prefer the Gonnot. And of course there are the Friend DVDs -- great way to get close to anusara. It's great fun to attend his sessions if you get the chance. Highly recommended.
Sharon, I might actually attend a session with JF here in Dublin in the summer and I'm considering following him to London or Berlin as he has a European tour... But I'm not sure what level his sessions cater for. Is it mostly for teachers or advanced yogis? I am somewhere within the intermediate realm with no arm balances yet...

Old 02-28-10, 01:39 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herya View Post
Sharon, I might actually attend a session with JF here in Dublin in the summer and I'm considering following him to London or Berlin as he has a European tour... But I'm not sure what level his sessions cater for. Is it mostly for teachers or advanced yogis? I am somewhere within the intermediate realm with no arm balances yet...

I'm sure you'll be fine! The level requirements have been pretty clearly spelled out in the past, on anusara.com. In cities with large anusara communities there are generally two levels. In smaller communities there's one all level. The advanced level has, in the past, required wheel with straight arms and handstand. But there aren't requirements like that for the intermediate practice.

I did two days of the mystery tour (2004?) after doing anusara for not quite a year. I went to the intermediate level and felt completely comfortable. And I'm very shy about jumping out of my own level. If only one level is offered there will no doubt be some advanced poses, but plenty of options for those who aren't able to do advanced versions of poses. Anusara is particularly good at alternatives and very encouraging. (I don't know if I would have ever made it into handstand without the help and encouragement of my anusara teacher at the time!)

There's a very nice community vibe at these events. You should definitely go! And the sessions are assisted by anusara teachers from all over. I attended a workshop given by someone who assisted at one of the European tours and she was very enthusiastic about the experience.

Do you have the Friend Omega DVDs -- they give you a pretty good idea of what to expect in the intermediate. The Grand Gathering gives you a bit of an idea too but the Omega DVDs show more of the participants and you can see how the level of practice varies. There are some famous teachers on the mats, but people just like you and me too.

There are special teachers events connected with the various venues, but those are a whole other thing.

Old 02-28-10, 02:23 PM  
KathAL79

Yes, I have John Friend's Omega and Yoga Journal Estes Park DVDs, which is why I'm so interested in finding a live teacher. I'm not sure why the nearest Anusara studios are so far away; for whatever reason this area is dominated by Iyengar, power yoga (specifically Baron Baptiste's brand), a few other chains, and of course vinyasa galore, and then there's the relatively huge Kali-Ray studio in my town, with over a dozen affiliated teachers and at least half a dozen classes a day. Who knows why certain things take hold in certain places and others don't...

Sharon, I've had my eye on Ishwari's and have vacillated on getting it, but it's now on my wish list.

Sounds like it's worth doing a little more poking around iTunes, although I just don't seem to do the practices I've already downloaded.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anusara, hillary rubin