Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-19, 03:02 PM  
Lannette

Barlates Reminiscent of “______(s)” style

I’ve read a bunch of old and new Barlates threads. I’ve visited Linda Wooldridge’s site and am blown away by the variety! I don’t know where you start!

I checked out her free YouTube videos. The 100 rep UB video honestly looks so fast that I wouldn’t feel confident that I’d hold clean form. That said, there are other videos that look more controlled.

I also saw posts that mention that she’s done workouts reminiscent of this or that instructor or style. The more I thought about this the more I like the idea.

So which Linda Wooldridge series or individual WOs remind you of which instructor or style?

Also wondering how huge each of her downloads are and how frequently she has sales.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 03:13 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I think Linda is unique, can’t say she reminds me of anyone. She has $.99 sales on a few of her downloads every week. Not sure how often she does a two for one sale like she’s running this month.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 03:51 PM  
bubbles76

I've read that her Endurance workouts are like Tonique lite. Someone also mentioned that some of her workouts are Dreambody lite. Don't take my word for it, I have not done enough of either Tonique, Dreambody, or Linda Wooldridge to be a judge . I am contemplating her Drop Sets (as I love this style of training) and her Ankle Weight and Loop Sculpt sets (as I need more workouts for my loop bands and ankle weights).
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 05:00 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I think Linda is unique, can’t say she reminds me of anyone. She has $.99 sales on a few of her downloads every week. Not sure how often she does a two for one sale like she’s running this month.
I didn’t mean who she reminds you of. I was thinking of the dream body and Tonique comments and wondering if any of her other workouts were reminiscent of other styles, instructors, etc. Thanks for the sale info Pam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I've read that her Endurance workouts are like Tonique lite. Someone also mentioned that some of her workouts are Dreambody lite. Don't take my word for it, I have not done enough of either Tonique, Dreambody, or Linda Wooldridge to be a judge . I am contemplating her Drop Sets (as I love this style of training) and her Ankle Weight and Loop Sculpt sets (as I need more workouts for my loop bands and ankle weights).
Thanks Bubbles. I read threads that mentioned Tonique and Dreambody.

I didn’t realize that she had drop sets. I’ll have to check it out.

I’m wondering if any of her workouts could be considered Leah Sarago Lite.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 06:24 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post

I’m wondering if any of her workouts could be considered Leah Sarago Lite.
I don’t know about the “Lite” part, but I think yes. I couldn’t tell you which ones, but I found posts of mine from 2015-16 (I checked because I didn’t know how old the workouts would be) where I saw a lot of similarities in the workouts she was doing then. I think it would be hard to find specific workouts though, because she has So. Many. and so much variation in them.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 07:15 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Lannette, have you checked out her huge selection of free workouts on YouTube? Might be the simplest way to get a feel for her “style”.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 09-15-19, 07:53 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

I’ll try my hand at answering but I haven’t done (have but haven’t done ) Leah Sarago or all the other variety of barre style workouts. I have done some Dream Body and Tonique though. Linda definitely prefers barre, Tonique and light weights like they use in barre workouts over heavy weights for her personal workouts. However, she does use Cathe workouts too.

If you like heavier weights, her Old School series, Strength series, and a Drop sets might suit you. She also has a Pyramid Upper individual free on YouTube and I purchased her individual workouts of Pyramid Lower and Reverse Pyramid Upper because I do like lifting heavier. I think Old School and Strength might be free on YouTube also. I found her Strength series to have some unique (to me I don’t know if she borrowed from someone) moves particularly in the Chest and Shoulder workout. She used lighter weights with a band and I remember being impressed with the burn from that. Some people didn’t like Drop Sets because of the length and way the workouts were divided. They would work well if you were working one body part hard a day or just do half of the workout. I found that these left me with DOMS for days. I actually communicated with Linda about that and she said she had the same result too.

For Tonique style all of her Endurance series, Tone, Chisel and Sculpt, Shape It series, Bodyweight Basics series are all in that style. There may be others but that’s what comes to mind. All of those are available on YouTube except Endurance 100, 110, 120 and Tone, Chisel and Sculpt box set. Bodyweight might be a good starting point because they are basic as in easy but basic in moves. Instead of a big combination of four moves or more it’s more like just two moves in combo. They are easier to remember what you’re doing next because there’s less to remember. Also I found Tone, Chisel and Sculpt easier than Endurance 90 if that helps as a comparison.

She has a ton of barre fusion, mat fusion type workouts. Some are Dream Body like and I don’t know if the others are original or if she sampled from others. I’d say her Cardio Sculpt Fusion box set has a Dream Body feel. She holds 2 or 3lb weights for a lot of moves. I very much enjoy her boxing workouts while holding a 3lb weight. It makes for a really nice shoulder and arm workout. Her Xmas workouts on youtube has a good example of that style. Her Sweat series from the Cardio Sculpt Fusion box set has a good one too. I can’t remember or haven’t done a lot of that style to really give my opinion on those.

Her Mix and March Box set is unique to me and well worth getting. I also remember liking her a Weighted Barre series which is part of the Barre, Sculpt and Burn box set. I didn’t love the Step Barre Fusion series in that set though.

The rebounder workouts she’s made that are my favorites are all free on YouTube. I adore the Bounce Interval series. They are hard and sweat inducing.

It seems like Linda has a buy one get one sale at least four times a year and weekly .99 sales except not during the buy one get one sale. If you like some of her individual workouts not part of a series she’ll make custom DVDs for you with those workouts on them. She has made box sets out of some of her YouTube workouts and sells those exclusively on Amazon although I’m pretty sure you can buy them from her during the sale even if they aren’t on her site. She recently got divorced so changed her YouTube account to Barlates Body Blitz instead of her married name Linda Wooldridge in case you care about that little piece of gossip.

Her downloads average around 900 megabytes to 1.2 kilobytes in size. MP4 format.

Hopefully this answered some questions. I go in and out of Linda kicks where I’ll do a bunch of her workouts and then I’ll change to something else. I personally prefer her advanced stuff to her intermediate workouts. I also prefer 45 minutes to an hour over 1/2 hour, but I don’t mind combining two half hour workouts together. A lot of her older stuff is in the half hour range and some of her newer stuff is longer. My opinion is that her newer workouts are better than her original stuff which I think started in 2014. I’d say peruse her youtube channel to figure out if you jive with any of her styles. Her channel is organized better than her website in my opinion. Just search around on her channel you’ll find where their broken down by level and equipment and stuff like that.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 08:05 PM  
wendug

Thanks cjayd- your post is very informative!
Old 09-16-19, 03:47 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

barlates - i just ordered a bunch of her workouts on DVD in her bogo sale going on right now. plus, i got 2 workouts in mary's sale.

dare i ask this question - in keeping with the theme of this thread - are any of Linda's workouts like classical stretch? out of miranda or sahra, i prefer sahra. the 2 Barlates i got from Mary's sale are the Ori Hula and the Feel Good DVD.

i have a handful of Linda's barre and pilates workouts, and i have her pilates wheel workout. i like her barre workouts that i own, but was expecting more from the pilates wheel workout.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-19, 04:53 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
dare i ask this question - in keeping with the theme of this thread - are any of Linda's workouts like classical stretch? out of miranda or sahra, i prefer sahra. the 2 Barlates i got from Mary's sale are the Ori Hula and the Feel Good DVD.
Hi Jeannine. As someone who’s done a few Barlates workouts & LOTS of Essentrics, I’d say that although both use big whole body movements, they are VERY different. Maybe Linda has a gentle recovery workout, but that doesn’t appear to be her style. I did one stretch workout of hers a few years ago, but it was not gentle. The Barlates workouts I have done move faster, are generally challenging, have high reps, and frequently use resistance. Essentrics is slower paced & fluid, focus is on joint mobility, flexibility, and fascia....moving the body in a sort of harmony. IMO it takes a lot from Qi Gong & Tai Chi. I think they compliment each other though & I enjoy both. For me, Essentrics is almost more of a recovery workout to keep me balanced, flexible, and pain free. Barlates is a definitely a workout.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Tags
100 rep challenge, 500 error, barlates, barlates downloads, linda wooldridge