Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-04-19, 02:58 PM  
bfit

Building muscle vs losing fat

For the past couple of years I've been more active and more physically fit than I've been for a long time because I've had a better work schedule, and I've been blessedly free (knock on wood) of injuries, illnesses, and surgeries which sometimes set me back in the past. The problem is that I used to weigh 2-3 pounds less than I do now, and nothing makes that weight go away. I tried on a swimsuit yesterday that I hadn't worn in years, and it actually looked good on me whereas in the past I looked sort of lumpy in it so I've clearly toned up. Is it possible the weight gain is muscle? Or am I just deluding myself? I'm 62 now so is weight gain inevitable with age? And if you lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time shouldn't it all balance out so that you weigh the same? I can live with 2-3 more pounds, but I don't want it to be the beginning of a trend.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 03:25 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
For the past couple of years I've been more active and more physically fit than I've been for a long time because I've had a better work schedule, and I've been blessedly free (knock on wood) of injuries, illnesses, and surgeries which sometimes set me back in the past. The problem is that I used to weigh 2-3 pounds less than I do now, and nothing makes that weight go away. I tried on a swimsuit yesterday that I hadn't worn in years, and it actually looked good on me whereas in the past I looked sort of lumpy in it so I've clearly toned up. Is it possible the weight gain is muscle? Or am I just deluding myself? I'm 62 now so is weight gain inevitable with age? And if you lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time shouldn't it all balance out so that you weigh the same? I can live with 2-3 more pounds, but I don't want it to be the beginning of a trend.
Scales aren't as accurate a gauge of your body composition as how you look in clothing.

If you look better in that swimsuit than you used to, then it's clear that your body composition is changing and you have put on a bit more muscle and have a bit less fat. Muscle weighs more than fat.

I almost never weigh myself. It's all about how clothes fit and how my body looks.

I just turned 63, and to be honest my body looks better now than it has in years and years. The reason? Consistent weight training since January. I watch what I eat, too, and have given up some food and drink items that do not help me maintain my desired look, but I'm not actively dieting. For me, it's been almost all about the weights.

Out of curiosity I weighed myself on the digital scale at my gym a couple of weeks ago. I'm 5'7" and weigh 134, and I have good muscle definition and even (gasp!) a four pack. A year ago I weighed 131. Yeah, I weighed less, but the thing is, I could see my ribs, and my face was looking pretty gaunt, so when I started serious weight training I started eating a bit more volume, but kept an eye on quality of food. I look better now with more meat on my bones.

I think you're doing fine. If you're worried about weight creep, monitor your intake and take a look at what foods support your workouts and what ones are detrimental, and for sure keep working out.

Congrats on looking good in that swimsuit!

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 03:32 PM  
Gams

My weight fluctuates that much in the course of a single day so 2 to 3 pounds wouldn’t be something that I would think about much. I’ll be 61 next month and I do find losing weight harder now than when I was younger and I think the “menopot” is a common problem as women age. I don’t think it’s all inevitable, though. It may just mean changing a few things as we age and maybe working a little harder. I think if you are within 2 or 3 pounds of your desired weight, you’re doing great!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 04:14 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
And if you lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time shouldn't it all balance out so that you weigh the same?
Not necessarily. Muscle is heavier (per cubic inch) than fat, so if you lose the same volume of fat as you gain in muscle, you will weigh more but be the same size. You'll probably look better, since muscle is firmer and looks more "toned". You can even lose fat, gain a smaller volume of muscle, be smaller, and still gain weight - again, because the muscle is significantly denser and heavier.

You're active and fit and you look better in your swimsuit! Be happy.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 04:37 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Numbers on a scale aren't the whole story. And personally I'd never sweat over 2-3 pounds.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 05:46 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Just enjoy it!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-19, 07:19 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Enjoy your success and let go of the scale numbers. They mean nothing to how you look and feel in your clothes.... the best measure of success. Photos tell you more than a scale ever will.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, build muscle and lose fat, building muscle, fat loss, fat vs muscle, muscle building, weight gain