Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-13, 11:09 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEMom View Post
Yes, I've been under the impression that "metabolic" usually involves weights or bodyweight strength moves done at a fast enough rate to raise your heart rate. Or, just the idea of doing as many reps as you can of a specific move in a given amount of time.
My impression too. I think the way Cosgrove's use it on non-strength days the resistance has to be lighter than you might typically use for strength for the sake of recovery. But the movements would use a lot of muscle groups--i.e. compound and maybe combination muscle groups. I think in theory they are trying to stimulate the afterburn effects common in full body lifting. I find it a little confusing because some metabolic workouts are made up of exercises I would do for strength training--just with higher, faster reps, less resistance, and often less "sets' and organized in intervals. I don't think the intensity is necessarily as high as a true "hiit" workout though it can also be hiit. I like a bit of hiit but do limit it to once or twice a week at most (if that). I don't feel as much need to limit metabolic workouts--other than I am concerned about recovery especially when combined with other resistance training. I agree I think a lot of Jillian Micheals workouts are "metabolic", the first time i followed a paper metabolic workout by Rachel Cosgrove I thought it reminded me a little of Jillian Micheals' workouts though I liked the structure a little better (I haven't tried many JM workouts thinking of 30 Day Shred and I don't really like the 3-2-1 structure it uses). I think a lot of workouts could be called "metabolic" workouts if they were using that buzz word. For example, I think of Tonique Premier that way as it gets and keeps my heart rate up and is composed primarily of variations of squats and lunges.

I think some of the "benefits" of hiit and metabolic workouts are similar and both are going for the 'after burn" effect and anaerobic intensity. I think of hiit as more intense on the aerobic system and a metabolic workout can be hiit but often is not. To get the intensity, hiit workouts usually seem to be aerobic moves done at a high intensity.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 11:22 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I borrowed Rachel Cosgrove's Drop Two Sizes book from the library, and I really like the look of this program. The layout is very motivating and easy to follow, the menu plan looks very sane and do-able, and the workouts seem to cover all the bases (strength, cardio, recovery.)

However, I don't really like some of the exercises. I'm not really keen on heavy lifting, I don't like to follow book workouts and I don't want to buy a new set of DVDs. And, I can't live without Physique 57 in my rotation. I've learned this about myself. I'm an addict.

So, I was thinking I might follow D2S, but plug in my own workouts. I could do barre for the strength segments, and high intensity cardio stuff for the metabolic workouts (this morning I did an express premix from Cathe's Afterburn and that seems like a good substitute. I'm still not exactly clear on what makes a cardio workout 'metabolic,' though.)

What other workouts would make good substitutions? I have lots of older Cathe, lots of barre, Leslie and the like for active recovery days... I'm not sure what to input for the RAMP workouts, but I do have a foam roller at home and could do that on my own.

Any suggestions??
I am sure different things may work for different people and that might work well for you. Why not try it? The philosophy of barre workouts like p57 and the strength work in D2S is pretty different though so I would imagine the results may be different. Sometimes with rotations like this that have strength workout A and B, where you do either A or B twice a week and the other once... I just do each strength workout once a week and then on the third strength day day do whatever I want. So if you were interested in this program you could do A once, B once and then a P57 workout. You may even be able to sub a P57 express workout for a metabolic if it gets your heart rate high enough (it can for some but not others it seems). I think Leslie would be fab for active recovery days. And the addition of foam rolling would probably be great if you do choose to sub the strength workouts for p57. I guess I think the core of the program is the strength workouts and how they are structured--but I am one for borrowing the ideas I like even if it ends up being a totally different program so I can't judge!
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 11:41 AM  
eannem

I love p57 too and always come back to it. I dont really know anything about drop 2 sizes, but am also trying to come up with a rotation with p57 and some extra cardio. my current plan is to rotate 2 p57 full length workouts and the fusion style workouts from fusion fitness- 1st set (so fusion and fusion mix).
eannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 11:52 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Honestly I don't think there is anything else like the Drop 2 Sizes workouts - total body compound moves done at a sensible speed where you can concentrate on form, with long enough rests to recover. If there is, I'd like to know about it!

ETA: I'm thinking of the strength workouts and RAMP. The metabolic workouts are similar to many cardio interval workouts out there, the idea being to push yourself to the limit for a short time.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 11:55 AM  
marmact

I think all categories need to be taken with a big grain of salt as instructors seem to be pretty loosy-goosy with meeting the specs of whatever category. Some of them call everything metabolic, or they call it tabata even if it doesn't follow that very, very specific format. The other component that makes the difference is how hard the user is working. If you're not going all out, you can make a Hiit workout or a tabata workout just a plain old interval workout, if that makes sense.

I usually tag stuff as metabolic if it's compound work done at a fast pace, few breaks (weights may or may not be used; some bodyweight stuff is fantastic). Intervals have defined sections (high intensity, low intensity, set break). Hiit and Tabata are short bursts that make you want to puke in a bucket.
Old 08-16-13, 11:57 AM  
juliel
VF Supporter

Just adding my thoughts on these workouts. I like the Metabolic workouts from this set. I am using them as add ons when i do the Strength sections or on other days. (I am not strictly following this rotation). someone else suggesting using them with the Strength workouts and I think they are a nice compliment. I like this set a lot!

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 12:28 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I am a big believer in making workouts fit your own personal desires and lifestyle. Put in a P57 workout where you think it could fit. Like slysam said up thread, do each D2S workout once a week and then a P57 workout.

As for cardio, do what works for you. You can give D2S metabolic workouts a try (if you want) and if you don't like them do something else.

I notice when I do an old fashioned Firm AWT workout, I get more tired than I do with the D2S weight workouts because of all the rest periods, but I guess the point is to build muscle.
Old 08-16-13, 03:31 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Honestly I don't think there is anything else like the Drop 2 Sizes workouts - total body compound moves done at a sensible speed where you can concentrate on form, with long enough rests to recover. If there is, I'd like to know about it!

ETA: I'm thinking of the strength workouts and RAMP. The metabolic workouts are similar to many cardio interval workouts out there, the idea being to push yourself to the limit for a short time.
I don't have the D2S set. However, I get a sense of what the strength wos are like because of the Cosgroves' strength philosophy. It's the reason why I wanted to buy the set (just haven't because I'm trying not to buy exercise DVDs).

Your post confirms what I thought. So while P57 wos are good, I don't see them as subs for the strength wos if the OP is trying to follow the D2S rotation. I could see them as strength subs if somebody was following a barre/cardio rotation.
Old 08-16-13, 07:25 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I think what I find appealing about the program is how well it is laid out in the book. It's very orderly, with a page per day of the plan with your menu, workout and a little motivational schtick, which is what I really need. I love, love, love to exercise, but I get lost in the eating--I tend to be an evening snacker and have a tough time sticking to a plan. So the outline in the book seems like it would help me. And the meals in this seem really straightforward and easy to prepare, which is key for me these days as my husband is travelling a lot, so I need to keep things simple.

As for the workouts, I appreciate everyone's feedback. I was sort of hoping I could just plug in workouts I already have, but I can see upon further reflection that probably wouldn't really work. I will keep a Physique 57 in there regularly because I'm a total P57 junkie, but I saw that other thread about a coupon code for the workouts, so I just bought the D2S DVDs. With the 30% off code, it came to less than $30, which is a pretty sweet deal.

So we'll give a D2S/P57 hybrid rotation a whirl and see what happens.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 08:20 PM  
debbied
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I think what I find appealing about the program is how well it is laid out in the book. It's very orderly, with a page per day of the plan with your menu, workout and a little motivational schtick, which is what I really need. I love, love, love to exercise, but I get lost in the eating--I tend to be an evening snacker and have a tough time sticking to a plan. So the outline in the book seems like it would help me. And the meals in this seem really straightforward and easy to prepare, which is key for me these days as my husband is travelling a lot, so I need to keep things simple.

As for the workouts, I appreciate everyone's feedback. I was sort of hoping I could just plug in workouts I already have, but I can see upon further reflection that probably wouldn't really work. I will keep a Physique 57 in there regularly because I'm a total P57 junkie, but I saw that other thread about a coupon code for the workouts, so I just bought the D2S DVDs. With the 30% off code, it came to less than $30, which is a pretty sweet deal.

So we'll give a D2S/P57 hybrid rotation a whirl and see what happens.
I'm almost done with Phase II and I am NOT a rotation person. I do work out every day -- in some form. I'm finding that I am loving the slow, careful pace of these workouts. What you might find fun is putting your other workouts in between the D2S workouts. If you do D2S strength 3 times a week and one metabolic workout, you still have up to three days that you can do i.e. P57 or whatever you crave. The workouts are longer than I usually do (about an hour), but I"m finding that the time flies and there is no dread. Good luck

Constantly in a state of gratitude.

Dream big because the only thing that can hold you back is a life without dreams. Sean O'Malley

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. Jean Kerr
debbied is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d2s, drop 2 sizes, rachel cosgrove