Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-19, 07:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I've never had the chance to try a wunda chair or a Pilates pro chair (let alone any other pilates equipment). watching Jenn Galardi's workouts, I had a couple of questions.

Is the resistance strong enough when your foot is on the springy pad and you're lifting upward? it seems to me that more of the resistance is when you're "pulling back" on your foot/feet. for example, when you push down, you have the benefit of your body weight plus gravity, but when "releasing", you're resisting with your foot to prevent the pad from springing back up too fast.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-19, 08:12 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I've never had the chance to try a wunda chair or a Pilates pro chair (let alone any other pilates equipment). watching Jenn Galardi's workouts, I had a couple of questions.

Is the resistance strong enough when your foot is on the springy pad and you're lifting upward? it seems to me that more of the resistance is when you're "pulling back" on your foot/feet. for example, when you push down, you have the benefit of your body weight plus gravity, but when "releasing", you're resisting with your foot to prevent the pad from springing back up too fast.
I hope I understand your question. I do feel that the resistance is enough with the regular springs. The best thing about working with springs (IMHO) is that you have resistance both ways. Controlling the closing of the springs gives different, but very beneficial muscle work. In a way it’s like lowering a heavy weight slowly. In the Malibu Pilates and Pilates pro dvds they often pump the springs quickly. This removes some of that closing sensation.

I think the slower press/release of wunda chair videos (Pilatesology & YT) builds more control. There seems to be more of this on the Pilates pro dvds than the Malibu Pilates dvds. I suppose you could slow down the pumping movements.

When you stand on the spring bar and raise yourself up you do use your arms but must also call on your core and powerhouse. If you minimize arm use it’s quite intense.

You can get heavier springs I bought a set and I’m actually not sure if I’ll ever be strong enough to use them!

In some movements lighter springs are harder. In others heavier springs are harder.

The springs on this chair are only 12” long so the resistance on the closing isn’t as long as a reformer, Cadillac or wunda chair but I can still appreciate it.

Did I at all answer your question?

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 12:57 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes, makes perfect sense. i didn't think of the "length" of the springs increasing the intensity. i get the part about removing the closing - it's like keeping the contraction in play, because when the spring closes, there's no resistance.

i know if i bring one of these things home, DH will shake his head.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 04:34 AM  
Lannette

I just saw your mention of Plantar fasciitis in another thread. I don’t know if you noticed when you watched the dvd but there is quite a bit of footwork on the chair and it’s done without shoes or with extremely light shoes. You basically do the Reformer footwork on the pedal of the chair. That could be helpful but possibly not.

Just something to think about and perhaps a reason to give the chair a brief try before you buy if it’s possible.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 05-07-19, 06:32 AM  
Lannette

I was thinking about the chair pedals and the fact that people in other posts have said they bothered their feet. I’m the queen of dollar store pool noodles. I give them away to massage clients as posture and foot restoration tools. I cut them up to hold space behind necks....

Well, I just checked and the foam pads on my pedals could be replaced with cut to size pool noodle pieces. That would decrease the distance to the bottom of the chair by a tiny bit but would also give a larger more cushioned surface for tender feet. The question would be whether or not the noodle pieces would eventually spin. I think that could be overcome pretty easily.

Anyway, thought I’d post in case anyone out there isn’t able to use their chair due to foot pain with the pedals as is.

Tags
jennifer galardi, malibu pilates, malibu pilates pro chair, pilates pro chair