Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-18, 02:46 PM  
lorajc

Does Anyone Here Do A Lot of Dance/Barre/Ballet?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here does a wide variety of Dance, Barre style workouts and Ballet Style workouts or if you've done a rotation of them. If so, what did they do for your physique?

I, from time to time, see dancer's or instructor's that do a lot of dance/barre/ballet style workouts and envy their figures. (Not meant to start a commentary on figures/physiques )

I have finally gotten the diet under control and recently lost a significant amount of weight. I know gene's has a lot to do with some of it (I am smaller boned).

I do enjoy dancing and danced when I was younger. Anyone have input?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 05:10 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Obviously ballet is an extremely selective art form, so most professional dancers and barre/ballet video instructors have a specific body type. That said, these workouts can be great at lifting your butt, giving you nice muscle definition in the arms and legs, building core strength and endurance.

Barre/ballet workouts can be very hard on the knees, so sadly I had to stop doing most of them. They can also overwork the shoulders, so if you're using weights for upper body barre workouts, be cautious. When I was doing them, here are the ones I liked the most:

Attitude by Bernadette Giorgi (lovely voice and manner; you can tell she had lots of ballet training)

Element: Ballet Conditioning by Elise Gulan (she's great; I found this workout to be really challenging if done with proper form)

Bar Method workouts by Burr Leonard (great form tips)

Leah Sarago's Ballet Body workouts (excellent and tough workouts)

Kari Anderson's fusion workouts like Reach and Center Floor (Kari is one of the most elegant instructors I have ever seen with years of professional ballet experience. These workouts are beautifully put together IMO)

Exhale Core Fusion workouts by Elisabeth Halfpapp and Fred DeVito (really good, and chaptered so that you can do short or long workouts)

Ballet Body Sculpt by Karen Voight (this is one that I did keep because it is more knee-friendly)

Jessica Smith's barre workouts on YouTube (some of these are knee-friendly)

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 07:04 PM  
lorajc

Thanks Betsy...I have been wanting to start doing ballet again. I took lessons for around 10 years in my childhood and teens and did ballet workout when younger. I miss them. I have to look and see what I have. Thanks for the input. I love belly dance also and I think I have a DVD that combines that and ballet...need to find it!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 09:04 PM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
Thanks Betsy...I have been wanting to start doing ballet again. I took lessons for around 10 years in my childhood and teens and did ballet workout when younger. I miss them. I have to look and see what I have. Thanks for the input. I love belly dance also and I think I have a DVD that combines that and ballet...need to find it!
Since you have a ballet background, you might try Katherine Morgan. She has any easy barre and easy center class on Youtube. These are actual ballet classes.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mxbpZjzre5lQsc

I have been doing her adult beginner ballet classes at Powhow.

http://www.powhow.com/classes/kathryn-morgans-studio

You can purchase a class for $5 and download it to keep. Her most current class is listed first. The first classes are listed at the bottom. I have been doing her classes for a couple of years now. She mirror teaches and cues all through the class.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet, ballet bodysculpt, barre, center floor, powhow