Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-13, 02:48 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
It's one thing if someone's asking "what workouts/exercises did you find helpful when recovering from x" but I think it's disturbing when people want VFers to diagnose their medical conditions.
I agree. I would like to add though, that I have found VF to be a fantastic source of info about injuries, medical tests, procedures, etc. Not for advice, which I can read about at Mayo or ask a doctor. But for personal experiences and helpful hints.

Let's face it, most doctors don't have time (or, don't give a crap) to tell us all the we need to know to be fully prepared.
Old 11-03-13, 02:50 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I agree. I would like to add though, that I have found VF to be a fantastic source of info about injuries, medical tests, procedures, etc. Not for advice, which I can read about at Mayo or ask a doctor. But for personal experiences and helpful hints.

Let's face it, most doctors don't have time (or, don't give a crap) to tell us all the we need to know to be fully prepared.
But you'd rather take the personal experience of someone you know than some total stranger--who could be making the whole thing up. It's not like we haven't had imposters on this board.
Old 11-03-13, 02:55 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Well, I think depending on how the post is framed, I think some of those topics could be on-topic... getting appropriate activity for a child with ADHD and how that affects the child, how exercise and other lifestyle changes help with anxiety, etc.

I certainly don't mean to sound insensitive, but I really think support for the super hard stuff in life is best found with people you actually know face-to-face in life. Not that an internet forum isn't a place where support can be found, but one of the concerns I have with our internet-saturated society is that I do fear it diverts us from investing in our relationships in the communities in which we live.
Well, I agree with you there, but there is also a lot more diversity on the internet than you find in real life. People you know in real life may not have gone through it or may be too close to the situation themselves to see the situation clearly. So I think using both are helpful.

For instance, a lot of people come on here asking about thryoid issues. I think it's helpful to read about people's experiences in getting diagnosed, finding a doctor, how to talk to a doctor and stick up for yourself, etc.

Suppose someone had a child that wasn't performing well in school or was acting out. Of the hundreds of people that read here, someone may recognize that the poster may need to have the child evaluated for ADHD or Asperger's, etc. Your small circle of friends may just offer conflicting advice on parenting that may or may not be helpful.

I'm just saying, maybe there's a way to have OT subject addressed in a way that doesn't clutter the board.

And check-ins, I have tried numerous times but have found I can't take the time daily to keep up and feel guilty for my drive-by posting, so I just had to give it up.
Old 11-03-13, 02:55 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
One thing you can do is join a check-in, or start one. That's like having a small group of friends with whom you can discuss general, life issues.
That's a good idea. I was on a check in for a short time and there were lots of this type of stuff discussed there.
Old 11-03-13, 02:58 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
Well, I agree with you there, but there is also a lot more diversity on the internet than you find in real life. People you know in real life may not have gone through it or may be too close to the situation themselves to see the situation clearly. So I think using both are helpful.

For instance, a lot of people come on here asking about thryoid issues. I think it's helpful to read about people's experiences in getting diagnosed, finding a doctor, how to talk to a doctor and stick up for yourself, etc.

Suppose someone had a child that wasn't performing well in school or was acting out. Of the hundreds of people that read here, someone may recognize that the poster may need to have the child evaluated for ADHD or Asperger's, etc. Your small circle of friends may just offer conflicting advice on parenting that may or may not be helpful.

I'm just saying, maybe there's a way to have OT subject addressed in a way that doesn't clutter the board.

And check-ins, I have tried numerous times but have found I can't take the time daily to keep up and feel guilty for my drive-by posting, so I just had to give it up.
Maybe you can join the Ya Ya or Ya Ya Friends board. Both of those have general or off topic threads. Ya Ya Friends is still fairly active.
Old 11-03-13, 02:59 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie F. View Post
But you'd rather take the personal experience of someone you know than some total stranger--who could be making the whole thing up. It's not like we haven't had imposters on this board.
Absolutely!

It's like the reviews at Amazon. We can't take them all as gospel. There are plenty of shills and plenty of bashers.

I still like to read experiences here and believe that I am discerning enough to weed out the useful from the baloney.
Old 11-03-13, 03:04 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Or movies, TV shows, etc. I think these are more egregiously off-topic...and are among the subjects that I believe the sticky note refers to.
I agree. I don't want anyone to feel bad but I go elsewhere to read recaps and comments on my favorite TV shows.

Quote:
Maybe you can join the Ya Ya or Ya Ya Friends board. Both of those have general or off topic threads. Ya Ya Friends is still fairly active.
This is really the only message board I have time to be a member of. I may use the search function on other MB's for something specific (like finding a good restaurant in my local area on City Data), but I'm not a member there in the way that I am here. I've also greatly reduced the time spent on this board, purposefully, over the last few months due to productivity. Every time I'm on the internet I ask myself if this time spent is helping me get what I really want. That usually runs me off pretty quickly
Old 11-03-13, 03:04 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie F. View Post
Plus there's a lot of quackery being given out as "advice" on the medical threads, and people get mad when it's called out.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 11-03-13, 03:20 PM  
suegy3

I don't think that anything Wendy says will satisfy everyone on the board. You just can't please everyone!
Old 11-03-13, 03:27 PM  
JP44

I agree w/ many of the points made. Suggestions for exercise ideas while recovering from injury or illness are great but the "diagnose me" threads really scare me. Having seen both my parents' health completely overtaken by quackery & bad advice, I have to shake my head.

Why doesn't Wendy just delete (ETA: or lock them) the completely OT threads or move them to another forum from GD? Wouldn't that be the quickest way to shut them down & prevent future ones?

Joan
Closed Thread

Tags
off-topic