Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-05, 11:19 AM  
dianairene

Body Rolling and Bad Backs, Revisited

I'd like to hear from the folks who jumped on the Yamuna and/or Fitball body rolling bandwagon a few months ago. I'm surprised that there was so much hype and yet there are no reviews in the reviews section. (I very much appreciate Alta's negative feedback, though!)

Are you still doing these workouts? (I'm particularly interested in the Fitball workout, the back section from Yamuna Total Body or the special back workout, and the Yamuna sideline workout)

What kind of results have you seen with them, particularly with respect to those who have experienced severe back pain?

Did you use the special Yamuna/Fitball balls or substitutes? How do you feel about the equipment you used? For those who think the specialty equipment was worth it, can you give some details on what makes it so? I mean, they're just 6-9 inch burst-resistant inflatable balls, right?

There's actually going to be a Yamuna class in my area tomorrow (where they will be selling balls and maybe also DVDs) that I'm thinking of attending, but I'd like to get some feedback from the veterans first.
dianairene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 11:45 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianairene
(I very much appreciate Alta's negative feedback, though!)...Are you still doing these workouts? (I'm particularly interested in the Fitball workout, the back section from Yamuna Total Body or the special back workout, and the Yamuna sideline workout)
Hey, you've been looking at my Swap List, haven't you??

I jumped on the Yamuna bandwagon late in the game. I'd taken a class with Yamuna a few years ago and it was nice.

I bought the red ball and the Total Body DVD. I did the routine once. It felt awkward, uncomfortable and - yes, I'll say it - boring! Then I ended up with a huge swelling on my back. I had bruised something back there and it was very painful. I decided that Yamuna was not for me.

I did choose to try the Petrone Miracle Balls and like that kind of relaxing routine better.

SO, there's your negative Alta review to balance out the raves!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 12:41 PM  
lgentry
VF Supporter

I have to say I didn't like it either. I have arthritis in my hips and it was extremely uncomfortable during the parts where your sitting on the ball.
Old 08-14-05, 03:17 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Quote:
I'd like to hear from the folks who jumped on the Yamuna and/or Fitball body rolling bandwagon a few months ago. I'm surprised that there was so much hype and yet there are no reviews in the reviews section. (I very much appreciate Alta's negative feedback, though!)

Are you still doing these workouts? (I'm particularly interested in the Fitball workout, the back section from Yamuna Total Body or the special back workout, and the Yamuna sideline workout)
I am doing the yamuna sideline stuff and some of the miracle ball stuff daily (try 2x daily) and I can't see ever not doing them. My back is definitely an issue and this helps loosen me up.

Quote:
What kind of results have you seen with them, particularly with respect to those who have experienced severe back pain?
more flexibility, less pain.. because of the flexibility, and just because it helps the muscles let go.
Quote:
Did you use the special Yamuna/Fitball balls or substitutes? How do you feel about the equipment you used? For those who think the specialty equipment was worth it, can you give some details on what makes it so? I mean, they're just 6-9 inch burst-resistant inflatable balls, right?
i used to use those mikasa kids balls that you can find at most sporting goods stores but if you pop one or get a slow leak (me!! I have with a slow leak) it's a waste of time..
the vinyl ones are really good and the ones I got with the miracle ball book are what I use. check barnes/noble or amazon for the set.
Quote:
There's actually going to be a Yamuna class in my area tomorrow (where they will be selling balls and maybe also DVDs) that I'm thinking of attending, but I'd like to get some feedback from the veterans first.
so is that today? or Monday? and post about what you did
Stevie
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 03:25 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Wow, how timely

I'm in the throes of a lumbar/left hip muscle spasm and was almost going to plunk down a nice wad on Yamuna and her balls.

I'm glad I saw this thread. I'm sending my VF membership renewal to Wendy right after posting.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 03:47 PM  
Stevie W
VF Supporter

Pat
I have right hip and lumbar issues, I would go for the miracle ball sequence. You can do yamuna later. I found that the miracle balls got me ready to do yamuna. I do a lot of stuff to keep the hip flexible (though it's almost always in spasm) and to manage pain..
so I would think the slower, more relaxing miracle might do it. But I suggest getting the foot wakers/savers from yamuna.. that makes such a difference for me
Stevie
Stevie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 04:32 PM  
Sophie

Quote:

I didn't get the Yamuna set, so can't talk about that, although I have the red ball on loan.

I do have the white Fitball (I think it's 6 or 7" in diameter) and I still use it regularly. I do prefer it to the Yamuna ball.

The Fitball DVD with Cheryl Soleway is quite good. However, I pretty much never use it, and just use the Fitball with my own routine.

Depending on what I need that day, I will use either the rolling method with the Fitball, or the more relaxing lie-there-and-breathe method with the Petrone Miracle balls. As Alta says, the Petrone ball method is more relaxing, and quite possibly more suited for people with injury or very tight muscles. But I'm sure YMMV, as with everything else.

I love both of them. It's not uncommon for me to be unable to sleep, tossing and turning from tension/tight muscles, get on the floor with the Petrone balls for a while, and then be able to relax enough to go back to bed and fall asleep.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 04:47 PM  
cmiyachi

I have the Yamuna set and the FitBall set and still do body rolling regularly. I did the DVDs for a long time and now I do my own thing. I feel it has released tension in my body that yoga couldn't get at as well. It's very helpful along my IT band. I also feel it creating space between my vertebrae (sp?) when I do the back routine.

It can be painful in sensitive tight areas so you need to go slow and use softer balls if necessary.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 06:39 PM  
cinza
VF Supporter

I love the work .. I dont consider it a workout ... its self massage therapy and quite meditative.
THe work should NOT be done on injuries or inflammation... one should know the safety guidelines to avoid injury .. and if one is delicate they should be on the larger balls.

I knew all that but
I landed up in bad shape from existing inflammation.. doing body rolling on the inflammed muscle .. and the presence of a very minor cough.
The inflammed muscles on my right side (I have fibro) had a fit after body rolling .. my whole right side clamped my lung and I landed up with pneumonia because my lung couldnt work ...
I had no idea I had pneumonia because my inflammed and spasming side hurt so much - I finally landed up in an emergency room.

BUT .. that dumb thing done and said.. I think if done wisely body rolling is amazing work and gets into places nothing else does...like the psoas... neck.. under the arms... shoulders... etc. etc...
Its a real gift to those who need it.
Yamuna designed the program to be done intuitively.. not with tapes.. but to understand your body and treat it as it needs moment by moment.
Originally the body rolling techniques were developed for body workers to take care of themselves...
Its not about being exciting, its about paying attention and appreciating the results.

I love it.
Fitball and Yamuna got their material originaly from the same fellow.. Its the same stuff except Yamuna takes it further and supplies better information.
I like Fitball balls better than Yamuna balls and I like Yamuna books better than the Fitball book..or video.
The books really are enough because, once you get the hang of it you do it because it feels good and you follow what you need at your own pace.

Miracle balls are cool too. You dont roll but just rest on them letting your breath and gravity do the work.
It works, and if its what you need, body rolling is heaven sent.
Old 08-14-05, 11:41 PM  
michl43

I love my red yamuna ball and my black fitball equally. I use one or the other daily. I also love the foot pinky balls. I have the fitball dvd and both yamuna books. The books are very helpful and i've referred to them alot. For me, body rolling is like an very relaxing massage.
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheryl soleway