Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-09, 10:43 AM  
megananne

Foam roller work for shoulder/rotator cuff issues?

I'm recovering from a partially frozen shoulder. I've got a foam roller, and several dvd's, but none that give very much specific attention to this area.

I would love it if there were links out there with this type of info

tia!

"You earned this stretch. Not the cake - just the stretch" JAC in Core Foundations
megananne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-09, 12:16 PM  
videofit

I'm curious about this, too. I've had shoulder problems for a long time now and as soon as I feel a twinge I back off and it goes away. I can't imagine how you'd use a foam roller on it. Isn't the muscle kind of hidden inside your shoulder? I always thought the best treatment was to do rotator strengthening exercises, which I really need to add on to my workouts, now that I think of it.
Old 04-24-09, 02:53 PM  
RedPanda

Before my shoulder injury healed, I used to foam roll my shoulder before lifting. I got the idea from a warm-up/prehab DVD and manual developed for the "heavy lifting" set. You can't directly target those little rotator cuff muscles with the foam roller, but rolling over the entire shoulder area will warm it up and reduce pain.

Specific exercises for the rotator cuff are good too, of course.
Old 04-24-09, 03:15 PM  
shaka02

You may want to check out the Frozen Shoulder Workbook

The book shows using a small hard ball between your shoulder and the wall. Putting the ball in a sock helps to move it to the right spots. This hurts SO GOOD!

/Deb
shaka02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-09, 10:08 AM  
Keepfitgirl

You should keep checking with the Jill Miller threads at the moment. One of her new pink ball CD workouts specifically works on massaging the rotator cuff I believe. I have shoulder problems so I've been reading these. I use the Fitness Fix intermediate DVD which has a foam roller section. Denise, very briefly, does the shoulder and neck area. You put the roller under the armpit and then just roll around (back and forth, up and down etc) until you find some sore spots.

Emma
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-09, 02:16 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepfitgirl
You put the roller under the armpit and then just roll around (back and forth, up and down etc) until you find some sore spots.
Emma
The rotator muscle in located in the armpit? I thought it was near the rear delts. Someone post a diagram or something please and enlighten us!
Old 04-29-09, 12:12 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepfitgirl View Post
You should keep checking with the Jill Miller threads at the moment. One of her new pink ball CD workouts specifically works on massaging the rotator cuff I believe. I have shoulder problems so I've been reading these. I use the Fitness Fix intermediate DVD which has a foam roller section. Denise, very briefly, does the shoulder and neck area. You put the roller under the armpit and then just roll around (back and forth, up and down etc) until you find some sore spots.

Emma
The Jill Miller (CD) Tension Tune Down: Rotator Cuff is excellent. I've been continuing to rehab my right shoulder from a partial dislocation for 7 years -- it still needs work. I do a lot of stuff from PT: strength and flexibility. Jill's CD routine is really nice.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam roller, rotator cuff, shoulder