Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-13, 09:25 PM  
holliholli915

Dream Body Do or Don't

I'm thinking about getting the Dream Body set. But, I'm on the fence after doing the Barre Intensity online. I loved the first half of it. But, I felt the barre work was weak. So much so that I did it twice. I do appreciate that it wasn't quad intensive for once! To me, barre DVDs sometimes over-focus on the quads with all of the power legs in releve. But, this was a nice departure. However, I wasn't sure that I got a really good leg workout. The arms -- great! Abs -- so, so. But, I can always do more later. But, I expect amazing leg segments from barre workouts.

Would love to hear thoughts from those who've done the entire set or the Fusion Mix as to where Barre Intensity ranks and whether the full set is worth it. I also just purchased the Dream Body Workout and wonder how it compares to Fusion Mix, which I'll do online on Friday. I'm looking for a really intense, effective barre/cardio mix type of DVD. I'm kind of confused by the Dream Body workouts as you can see. But, they sound like what I may be looking for.
holliholli915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 09:50 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliholli915 View Post
I'm thinking about getting the Dream Body set. But, I'm on the fence after doing the Barre Intensity online. I loved the first half of it. But, I felt the barre work was weak. So much so that I did it twice. I do appreciate that it wasn't quad intensive for once! To me, barre DVDs sometimes over-focus on the quads with all of the power legs in releve. But, this was a nice departure. However, I wasn't sure that I got a really good leg workout. The arms -- great! Abs -- so, so. But, I can always do more later. But, I expect amazing leg segments from barre workouts.

Would love to hear thoughts from those who've done the entire set or the Fusion Mix as to where Barre Intensity ranks and whether the full set is worth it. I also just purchased the Dream Body Workout and wonder how it compares to Fusion Mix, which I'll do online on Friday. I'm looking for a really intense, effective barre/cardio mix type of DVD. I'm kind of confused by the Dream Body workouts as you can see. But, they sound like what I may be looking for.
These are not barre workouts. They are fusion workouts. Mostly athletic and pilates type stuff. So if you're looking for barre workouts, look else where. Read through the other thread where everyone is talking about the workouts. A few of us stated that these are not barre workouts.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 09:56 PM  
holliholli915

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
These are not barre workouts. They are fusion workouts. Mostly athletic and pilates type stuff. So if you're looking for barre workouts, look else where. Read through the other thread where everyone is talking about the workouts. A few of us stated that these are not barre workouts.
Interesting because I just did one of their workouts called Barre Intensity. So my question was more in relation to how that compared to the others, especially since what I have read is that the Fusion Mix and some of the others in the set are barre-esque -- hence the term fusion as it seems to mix several styles which I like. I don't necessarily need a pure barre workout -- I have plenty. But, I'm looking for something in that vein. Thanks for the response.
Old 02-04-13, 10:11 PM  
suegy3

I just re-read your first post again. If you like the first half of the barre workout, I think that you'll enjoy the others. I think that the other workouts are similar to the first part of the barre workout but they are probably more athletic. Mountain climbers, jumping in lunge position, etc. Based on that, I think that you should buy them. I'm sure that others will chime in but that's just my opinion.
Old 02-04-13, 10:22 PM  
kitty12

I'm not sure what Barre Intensity is, but as mentioned, except for the barre workout itself, I don't consider Dream Body to really be barre. I just completed Fusion Mix yesterday and Tabata & Toning today and there really isn't any barre in them at all. I actually found Tabata & Toning reminded me more of JMBR than barre. I can also say, as far as barre being quad intensive (I agree and one of the reasons I like it since it balances out other workouts I do), that I am feeling the last two Dream Body workouts more in my hamstrings.

If I reread your post, I am assuming that Barre Intensity must be similar to / same as Barre with Sadie on the Dream Body DVD? I really don't think of Fusion Mix or Tabata & Toning to be barre-esque, despite the fact that Darby mentioned "barre" as part of the fusion for Fusion Mix.

I still have the remaining three workouts to try.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 10:40 PM  
edensmom

I didn't really find the barre workout to be all that barre-ish myself. More like just another fusion workout that happened to incorporate a barre/chair for stability into the second half of the workout. Kind of like how Cathe snuck a barre segment into the standing legs section of Xtrain Legs. That isn't a barre workout either. I know that is apples and oranges but I am trying to make a point.

I agree the abs were weak in the "barre" workout. The first half was definitely the tougher portion.

I think the workout is labeled as barre to capitalize on the popularity of barre workouts, that's all. Because as I said I don't find it very barre-like.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 10:42 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post

If I reread your post, I am assuming that Barre Intensity must be similar to / same as Barre with Sadie on the Dream Body DVD? I really don't think of Fusion Mix or Tabata & Toning to be barre-esque, despite the fact that Darby mentioned "barre" as part of the fusion for Fusion Mix.
barre intensity is the barre workout with Sadie.
Old 02-05-13, 08:10 AM  
momofcha

I bow down to you for having done the barre section TWICE??? Yowza.

That being said, if you enjoyed the first part of that workout, you will enjoy this set. The rest of them are varying degrees & intensity of that part.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 11:51 AM  
holliholli915

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
I didn't really find the barre workout to be all that barre-ish myself. More like just another fusion workout that happened to incorporate a barre/chair for stability into the second half of the workout.

The first half was definitely the tougher portion.

I think the workout is labeled as barre to capitalize on the popularity of barre workouts, that's all. Because as I said I don't find it very barre-like.
Very helpful as I was curious whether I was missing something. Don't get me wrong, I really like the workout. I think I'll just need to take it for what it is and that's not barre. But, your feedback helped to confirm my initial thoughts. Thank you!
Old 02-05-13, 11:55 AM  
holliholli915

On a separate note, after doing the Barre Intensity workout last night, I am absolutely ravenous today! I'm not sure how many calories it torches. But, it was like I hadn't eaten a thing after breakfast this morning. It may be that this new style was the shock my body needed from TA and barre. So, I'm definitely thinking about adding Dream Body (the Darby one) to my rotation each week. I really can't wait to get the original DB video this week. I've read mixed reviews and look forward to testing it out.

Tags
barre, dream body