Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-11, 07:42 AM  
marymc

Walking

So I saw mention in another post about the benefits of walking. I used to think it wasn't 'enough' but I still enjoyed it so much. Yet I wouldn't 'count' it. Now, if I hike for an hour, it is my exercise for the day.

I guess I am just asking if anyone else kind of struggled to be a walker?
marymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 07:58 AM  
turbo1

Why do you feel that walking doesn't "count"? While I agree that a casual stroll isn't heart thumping cardio, burning alot of calories, a brisk walk or power walk is a great form of cardio. Its safe and anyone can do it. Even a casual stroll is better than sitting. Sometimes a casual stroll is just the ticket for stress relief. Exercise doesn't have to be killer to be effective.
Old 06-20-11, 08:10 AM  
jacmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymc View Post
So I saw mention in another post about the benefits of walking. I used to think it wasn't 'enough' but I still enjoyed it so much. Yet I wouldn't 'count' it. Now, if I hike for an hour, it is my exercise for the day.

I guess I am just asking if anyone else kind of struggled to be a walker?
\

When I was in my 20's and 30's, walking was my main workout. Now that I am in my mid 40's, my body needs more.

My usual routine is a 60-70 minute workout in the morning and then walk for 30-40 minutes in the PM. I really enjoy walking, but I eat way too much for it to be my only form of exercise
jacmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 08:14 AM  
Artist of Eyes

I use walking as my main form of cardio. I used to feel the same way as you did but I think the world around us teaches us if it's not beating you up then it isn't exercise. Walking and running burn about the same amount of calories mile for mile, it's just walking it takes longer. I enjoy walking. I can do it at any stage in my life, it keeps me fit, my muscles, lungs, and heart strong, my mind clear, it relieves stress, and I can do it indoors or out. All I need is a good pair of shoes and I am on my way. Up a mountain, over a long beach, the pavement, or a treadmill, it all works and gives many, many benefits.

I would say it's more about mindset then anything else.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 08:26 AM  
imhere2dance

Walking is also my main form of cardio. "Fitness walking" is different than a slow walk outside. For example, Leslie uses music to speed the pace and she adds variety (kicks, knee lifts, side steps, hamstring curls, lunges, and sometimes mild jogging). I love it because the moves are easy, safe, and low impact.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 08:43 AM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

Well, I am a long time "runner". I have run for around 23 years. Several times I have thought that I wanted to try speed walking. So I would. And I would wear my heart rate monitor. When I would walk really fast and on hills, my heart rate would be as high as my run. (I run distance, thus slow!) Plus, this is the thing that really got me....it was much harder than running/jogging. So...I would go back to running. This weekend, I attempted speed walking again. I decided that I wanted to do the whole distance as a fast walk and try not to have to do any running. There were a few times that I had to take a "run" break because my hips were fatigueing. We went 6.5 miles, but only 5 was a walk and we ran the last mile. I got up yesterday morning and my hiney was sooo sore! So...yesterday, I attempted it again I made it 3 miles, but my hips/upper thighs were really tiring, so I ran the last three.

I think it is really funny that I have to take "run breaks" instead of "walk breaks" because the running is easier. I know I am probably just sore because I am using different muscles. I am going to try to work up to doing the whole distance as a speed walk, because to me...it is definitely a workout!

So, finally, my answer to your question, lol...I am literally "struggling" to be a walker!

Linda
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 09:09 AM  
marymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1 View Post
Why do you feel that walking doesn't "count"? While I agree that a casual stroll isn't heart thumping cardio, burning alot of calories, a brisk walk or power walk is a great form of cardio. Its safe and anyone can do it. Even a casual stroll is better than sitting. Sometimes a casual stroll is just the ticket for stress relief. Exercise doesn't have to be killer to be effective.
I used to feel it didn't count, but I do indeed feel differently now. I'm not sure what changed, but I guess I was looking for some affirmation that it's okay to use power walking as cardio.

It goes back to that mentality that it has to hurt (Insanity) to be real cardio.
marymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 09:43 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I still feel walking is just a "bonus" -- silly, I know!

Linda, your "running breaks" are amusing! So you are using race walking form? I can't figure out how to do that quite right, but I can see how it could be more tiring!!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 09:45 AM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I still feel walking is just a "bonus" -- silly, I know!

Linda, your "running breaks" are amusing! So you are using race walking form? I can't figure out how to do that quite right, but I can see how it could be more tiring!!

Yes, I am "attempting" the racewalking walking form. I have a hard time getting it right and I am sure I am still not doing it right.
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 10:15 AM  
violingal3

I walk quite a bit and still consider it a "bonus" when I can fit it in aside from my usual workouts. I usually schedule longer walks on the weekend along with some yoga or stretching, but I still consider that an "active recovery" day. Great way to clear my mind, be outside and take it easy on my body, everyday doesn't have to be a killer.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
walking