Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-21, 08:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I took the OP literally when she said no extra equipment and all I could think of was older workouts.
same here. there might be newer weights workouts on youtube, but i usually go with the tried and true on DVD.

classic firms also have some possibilities to go heavy:

Firm Cardio
Firm Strength
Vol. 1
Maximum Body Shaping (Tracie)
Hare (Tracie)
Tortoise (Tracie)
Standing Legs (Tracie)

Tracie's more recent fare are not exclusively weight training in the real sense of the word. they're hard to classify.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 08:34 PM  
kristieschultz1

thanks

Thanks so much for all of these suggestions. I've tried Tracy in the past, I looked at her newer stuff and I think that she seems to do more aerobic type weight training with some cardio mixed in, which is not what I was hoping for. I'm just wanting pure weight workouts and yes I definitely was hoping for something fresh and new. I have Athletica and I like it, but I'm not sure why I love Ilaria but I just find her workouts so boring and repetitive. I wish I liked them but I just cannot bring myself to do them. I'm looking into all these suggestions and I agree with Upperwside that (don't take this the wrong way but) everything seems so old, so maybe I'll just stick with newer Cathe and KCM for now. Some of Cathe's newer ones look amazing but with most I would need to bring out my step etc etc, which is doable for a good workout. I also looked at the Beachbody ones and I wasn't really interested, and not really wanting a beachbody membership etc.
kristieschultz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 08:38 PM  
kristieschultz1

and

And thanks yes, there are tons of workouts on youtube and I can get a subscription to stream from many sources but I just love to pop in a DVD that I've already done multiple times and I know it will be a good workout, I know what equipment will be needed and I get to keep the workout even if I stop streaming. I guess I need to move into the future but I'm finding it harder to do with my weight work DVDS. I youtube Turbokick workouts and various other kickbox workouts for cardio but I love my weight dvds darnit.
kristieschultz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 08:44 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I think a lot of Paul Katami's workouts only require dumbbells as well (the ones that aren't kettlebell workouts). I know his 4x4 system works with only dumbbells. The WWE workout DVDs only require dumbbells (I recommend the one led by Triple H). I know there are a lot of others, I just need to take a look at my collection!
Old 02-28-21, 08:53 PM  
bubbles76

How about Men's Health 6-Week Sweat Off workout program with Sean Garner? It's dumbbells only and you're done in 30 minutes. Made in 2019. Looks like there may be some cardio in it, but that could just be the finishers at the end.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 09:05 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
How about Men's Health 6-Week Sweat Off workout program with Sean Garner? It's dumbbells only and you're done in 30 minutes. Made in 2019. Looks like there may be some cardio in it, but that could just be the finishers at the end.

That reminds me, the Men's Health Belly Off Strength Training DVD w/David Jack fits the bill as well. Full body, straight forward, dumbbells only.

It's also available in full on YouTube: https://youtu.be/-x3Xm_N_Yp0
Old 02-28-21, 10:03 PM  
Jeanne

Hi Def Sculpt - the Firm - Annie just dumbells, no step, no cardio - I go heavier
Firm 30 - Leslie (I add some chest and triceps work to the mat section)
Total Body Strength - Jenny Ford on Youtube -I slow down the reps on this one.
Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 10:43 PM  
Karla25

Margaret Richard’s workouts mostly just use dumbbells and ankle weights.
Old 02-28-21, 11:42 PM  
bex

It might not meet your criteria of a old favourite, but for those looking for something new.

One of the reasons I’ve gotten into Caroline Girvan on YouTube is because her workouts are simple. Her EPIC challenge is specifically formulated for people in quarantine, so all you need for each workout is a mat and one pair of dumbbells. If they’re heavy, do fewer reps. If they’re light, do more.

Yes occasionally I’ll have few sets of dumbbells ready in case, but I usually get through the whole thing with one pair. It’s restful not to have to think about it.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 12:26 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I have such a big collection of KCM, Cathe, Gilad, Lauren Brooks, etc. on DVD that I find if I rotate them enough, what is old is new (or at least fresh enough!) for strength training. And by and large, I mostly use dumbbells and kettlebells, and sometimes I'll drag out my step (as a weight bench) and some elastic bands and ankle weights. But the latter items are pretty much optional unless I'm doing something very specific (e.g. Cathe's super intense upper body routines, Denise Beatty's Fitness Fix or Margaret Richard's lower body floor work)
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6 week sweat off, david jack, dumbbell workouts, dumbbells, sean garner