Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-13-21, 07:46 PM  
Vantreesta

I finally mailed the Christmas cookies I made for my dad and my brother's family today! I also ran Alice through the car wash and got dog food then shoveled the slush off the sidewalk. We're under a winter storm watch the next two days, could get 4-8" of snow and 40 mph winds. I'm not sure how our walks will look!

I don't think I've reported my workouts yet this week. Monday was Qi Gong day 26, Perfect 30 Low Impact HIIT, Perfect in Ten Stretch -upper body, back & hips, Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 9, YT (Sadhana day 11), 3 dog walks totaling 3.91 mi.

Tuesday was Qi Gong challenge day 27, Crossrope 12 Days of Crossrope day 4, .9 mile for Dark Horse Rowing: Rowvember day 9, J. Miller YTU Quick Fix Upper Body Series -10 min shoulders, Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 10, YT (Sadhana day 12) and 3 dog walks totaling 5.27 mi.

Today I didn't do much bc I haven't been able to get anything done around the house so far this week so all I did was Qi Gong challenge day 28 and Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 11, YT (Sadhana day 13). Will have 3 dog walks again but not as far as the other days.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 01:13 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: How long does all those different workouts put together take? I hope your storm isn’t too bad! We’ve had maybe an inch of snow so far this winter.

Workouts: This morning I did the Mobility Rx warmup and workout 2. I think I like 2 a little better than 1. Once I’m used to them and don’t really need to follow along, I might do a combination of the exercises I like best from each.

Yesterday and today I did 10 minutes of rowing at lunchtime and then 30 minutes on the bike. I feel like the rowing is starting to flow again. I still have a long way to go, but I feel there’s progress. Daphne: Does Hydrow have a variety of workout lengths in each of those three types? I’m not really liking the Apple Fitness+ rowing, and while Dark Horse is good, I want to try the variety in the Hydrow app free trial. I am learning a ton from Dark Horse, and his drills where you stop in the middle of the stroke are super helpful.

Waves to Pratima and Mollie!
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 06:33 PM  
Vantreesta

Going back through the fall thread, trying to answer questions I missed.

Sports bras--I've had mine for so long I don't even remember when I got them! My running bras I got at Walmart and they don't make that style anymore so I'm glad I bought them in every color. The bras I wear for all other workouts I got at Target mostly and I don't think they make them anymore either! The ones from Target are starting to show their age though as they don't seem quite as tight around the band anymore.

Calming workouts--I love my yoga but when I'm stressed out I need to run or hike!

Logging my food on MFP--I have been focusing mostly on eating less so I really haven't changed much of what I eat, just how much. I know it's gonna be very hard for me to cut back on baked sweets and stuff so I'm hoping success with losing some weight will be a catalyst for making healthier choices.

I guess either I didn't miss as many questions as I thought or else I missed them going back through!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 01-14-21, 06:38 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH View Post
Vantreesta: How long does all those different workouts put together take? I hope your storm isn’t too bad! We’ve had maybe an inch of snow so far this winter.

Workouts: This morning I did the Mobility Rx warmup and workout 2. I think I Ike 2 a little better than 1. Once I’m used to them and don’t really need to follow along, I might do a combination of the exercises I like best from each.

Yesterday and today I did 10 minutes of rowing at lunchtime and then 30 minutes on the bike. I feel like the rowing is starting to flow again. I still have a long way to go, but I feel there’s progress. Daphne: Does Hydrow have a variety of workout lengths in each of those three types? I’m not really liking the Apple Fitness+ rowing, and while Dark Horse is good, I want to try the variety in the Hydrow app free trial. I am learning a ton from Dark Horse, and his drills where you stop in the middle of the stroke are super helpful.

Waves to Pratima and Mollie!
Alison, Monday was 69 minutes, Tuesday 71 minutes and yesterday 43.

I love Shane at Dark Horse but I always seem to get a better workout when I just listen to music, which I can't figure out. I blame the rower.

Old 01-15-21, 03:17 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH View Post
Workouts: This morning I did the Mobility Rx warmup and workout 2. I think I like 2 a little better than 1.
I think that was the one I liked best too. Is it the one where you do a quad stretch using a chair or prop behind you? And there's a sequence with scorpion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH
Does Hydrow have a variety of workout lengths in each of those three types?
Yes indeed! The Breathes, Sweats and Drives all come in 10, 15, 20, 30 and 45 minute workouts. Since the warmups and cooldowns are all separate and short (5 or 10 minutes) you can even just do a series of these and still get a good workout.

The categories of workouts are:
  • Warm-up - 5 or 10 minutes, full of technique and form pointers
  • Cooldown - same as above
  • Breathe -equivalent to a steady jogging pace in terms of intensity
  • Sweat - more of a tempo workout
  • Drive - faster-paced HIIT workouts with frequent recovery
  • Journeys - No athlete, the camera is mounted so you feel like you're on the boat. Pretty scenery, you go at your own pace. These are as short as 5 minutes or as long as 79 minutes.
  • Learn to Row - set of three 15-minute workouts to acquaint you with the basics of rowing (there is also a 6-week beginners training camp program, but I don't think you can see all the different programs unless you have the actual Hydrow and screen)
  • On the Mat - strength, pilates, yoga, mobility, stretch, etc.
Warning: The Hydrow app isn't as advanced as Peloton. You can sort workouts by type, by athlete, by length and by destination or you can favorite a workout, but those are the only filters. You have to click on the workout to investigate the music, although lots of them include the type of music in the title. For example, I just scanned my last 10 days of workouts and saw workout titles with Indie, hiphop, rock, country, Justin Bieber, Boy Band, Avicii vs Imagine Dragons, etc. in the titles.

Vannie - RE getting a better workout without Shane instruction, if there are fewer recoveries and or fewer form drills with music alone, that could explain it. I do my best times on the easier ("Breathe") rows because they're just steady-as-she-goes rows.

Back later!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 03:39 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, bust out the snowshoes! We're going up north 1/22 and I'm hoping for snow. I like Dark Horse also but can't do more than 15 minutes! Rowing while just watching him row is...like watching paint dry.

Daphne, an iFit individual membership is $150/year I believe. I bought a card for one on ebay for $80 though, and they do have a 30 day free trial. I'm going to try that out and see if rowing with it works for me. You're right, they do bury all that info!

Alison, I have the YAYOG app and keep meaning to use it. I wonder if some of those mobility moves are in it? I haven't looked at it in ages.

I have Monday off for MLK day and possibly Wednesday because the Coast Guard office I work with is shutting down for the inauguration. I can't decide whether that's good or not.

I think I'm done with phase 1 of Body Beast. I technically have one more workout but it's a repeat of one I did earlier this week so I may just skip it. The only thing about Sagi that really bugs me is when he yells at the guys for talking over him. "The Beast is talking!!" I am looking forward to those shorter workouts in the next phase. I really feel like I need some cardio. I'm sticking with short HIIT-type workouts, so bike, row, and the occasional run should work well.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 09:57 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Popping in with a bit of info

Daphne is right! The Hydrow app is not quite as good as Peloton as far as filtering. BUT ... I imagine it will get there soon.

In the meantime? this is a web based place to check out the Hydrow workouts. What they are, difficulty level, instructor, date, music, etc. I have used it forever for Power Zone Training and was thrilled when I "discovered" the "HYDROW Workout Library" tab along the top:

https://www.homefitnessbuddy.com/

Back to your regularly scheduled check in.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 04:05 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
In the meantime? this is a web based place to check out the Hydrow workouts. What they are, difficulty level, instructor, date, music, etc. I have used it forever for Power Zone Training and was thrilled when I "discovered" the "HYDROW Workout Library" tab along the top:

https://www.homefitnessbuddy.com/

Back to your regularly scheduled check in.
Cleda
Cleda: Thanks so much for this link! It’ll be so helpful for Hydrow, and it’s already helpful for my power zone Peloton training. My biggest complaint is not knowing what to expect in a PZ ride in advance.

Pratima: Same! Every time he asked a cast member a question and then yelled at them for answering, I yelled back “then why did you ask him something?” I already get Monday off for the holiday, Wednesday for the inauguration, and Friday for my regular every other Friday. So I’m using vacation Tuesday and Thurs and having a whole week off. I have so much to do around the house, and I also hope to go hiking one day.

Daphne: The quad stretch and scorpion are in number 1. I liked those two the best in that one too.

Me: I ran this morning, but I wasn’t feeling the love. But at least I did it. I’ve been watching soccer, hockey, and football all day. We have barbacoa in the slow cooker, so we’re going to have yummy tacos for dinner.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 04:30 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

You're welcome

I forget about the fact that it does the power zone training, as I've used it forever. I put it right at the bike. So many times the cues get lost or I miss them or the instructor messes up.

not to mention when you're in zone 4 and just think you can't go another minute --- only to discover there is only 90 seconds left and WHO can't do 90 seconds?!?

Glad you can get use out of it.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 05:13 PM  
Daphne M

Fast typing drive-by!

Mobility workouts - I think I'm going to have to re-acquaint myself with Mobility Rx and actually do it. My memory is fried. I've been doing lots of little snack-sized mobility workouts that are part of the Hydrow library. They're so short and not as intense as the Mobility Rx work was. The man who designs their mobility and strength work is even older than I am and has a long background in rowing but also in Irish step dancing. Sometimes he's bopping to hip-hop though but he can still do the splits when he wants to. Cracks me right up.

Sagi - I always try to give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk his abruptness up to his schtick. (But there's a strong possibility that he might just be an authentic jerk.)

Alison - Barbacoa tacos, yum!

Cleda - So glad you dive in from time to time. You know more than anyone I know about power zone training.

Hydrow news - right after I posted here about how the Hydrow filter wasn't as sophisticated as Peloton's filter, they added a new way to sort "Workout Style." It tells you whether the workout is HIIT, pyramid, power, technique, speed, etc. LOVE IT. That info was already there in the workout description but this makes it easier to sort them first.

Peloton - and my Peloton app added the stacking too, as well as the different training programs! I thought stacking might be only for the folks with the P bike or P tread but I can do it too. Peloton is such a deal.

Gotta run and start cooking dinner.

Oh workouts, right.

Hydrow - I finished the 14 Day Home Challenge and loved it. They're getting ready to a month-long program for February and I'm trying to decide whether to sign up for it or not. I have less than an hour to workout on weekday mornings and I want to have time for running, walking and strength too. (Who am I kidding, I'm about 999% sure I'm going to sign up.)

Running - I've logged more than 60 miles on my Backyard Brrr virtual running challenge. (Commit to either 50, 100 or 150 miles of outdoor activities in January.) I only committed to 50 because 100 seemed like a stretch, especially if we get snow or ice for a few days. So I've surpassed my goal and am thinking about switching to the 100 mile challenge. Hmmm.

Fingers crossed that all will go well with the inauguration tomorrow. I couldn't get my son to leave DC, so he's basically living in the middle of a militarized zone right now. My office building is surrounded by barricades and police. I cannot express how emotional I am about all of this. One year ago, things were so different. It's hard to believe.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote