Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-21, 08:29 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

CS 1116 - Posture - an all standing workout
Trifecta Pilates - 7 Day Challenge Day 2 - Abs & Back

Yesterday afternoon I did -

Pahla B - February Playlist - Day 2 - Cardio. This was one of my favorites - it was 50 seconds cardio/10 seconds rest. I really enjoyed the longer intervals of cardio.

In the evening, after work I did:

Ellen - Affirmative Flow

So...I am now wondering if I have piriformis syndrome - I foam rolled my glute yesterday and it seemed to relieve the pain.....I do feel like I'm having a muscle spasm in my glute - so, I will continue on w/ the foam rolling to see if it makes a difference. I think there is just a lot going on w/ my back and hips - I have a tight QL on the right side which can cause a hip hike on that side, which then impacts the left side. All the sitting tightens up my hip flexors/psoas and apparently sends my glutes into spasm. So - in short - what a pain.

I'm hoping CS will help w/ mobility and decompression and Pilates will help w/ the strengthening/stability.

Ugh. I would say getting old sucks, but my back has bothered me since I was in my 20's, so...can't blame it entirely on aging.

Waves, everyone...sorry to complain....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 12:35 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Donna,

Have you tried the Hips and Knees segment from Jessica's Gentle Yoga for Balance, Flexibility and Mobility? I really like that one when my hips are acting up!

Also, Stacy McCarthy's Yoga Body:Hip Opening Flow is another good one works that area, too!

Whenever I'm in a lot of pain I reach for Lee Holden's Qi Gong or Classical Stretch.

Lee has a one minute Sciatica Pain Relief video on YouTube. As well as lower back workouts that might be beneficial. Do you have his 30 minute Challenge DVD? Some nice short workouts in this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NaBiuuBTRo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acAglmpXYYQ

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 05:18 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Well, speaking of Lee Holden and Classical Stretch, that is exactly what I needed today! I did Lee's Qi Gong for Anxiety, as well as Miranda's CS for Stress Relief (Season 10. ep. 1030.) Both were great, and good for me since I haven't been resting well with so much on my mind.

Have a good evening all!

April Focus:
Old 02-23-21, 06:20 PM  
Leonana

Today was just my Goodwill day. We only went to two Goodwills. I found a couple of short sleeve workout shirts. The pair of jeans didn't fit, so I need to take them back. I don't know why I bought it, but I got the Firm Body Sculpting Basics with Susan Harris. I might have bought it once before and returned it, lol. I could get past the 80's style, but I think the workout moves too fast for me. If no one wants it on Share the Wealth, back to Goodwill it goes.

I am going to try and do some stretching tonight, and try to relax. I have my appointment tomorrow morning with the cardiac nurse about my sonogram. With my extreme white coat syndrome, they have to take my word for it with my bp readings at home. I'm glad that they are able to check my heart and confirm it. But I'm still a bit nervous.

Pam, I hope warmer weather is on it's way. Thanks for the video links, and recommendation of Jessica's Gentle Yoga. My piriformis acts up sometimes, and other times I think it's my SI Joint.

Liz, I have to admit I would like a change from the rotation. I do like the workouts, but I think six days of this intensity is too much for me. I need to dial it down a bit. But I do like the workouts and will still do them periodically. I think I need some boxing gloves, it sounds like it would make you punch harder.

Donna, I have to massage my glutes and piriformis periodically, along with stretching. Sometimes it's my piriformis that hurts, and sometimes something in my lower back, maybe my SI Joint. It's always my right side. I find that stretching by itself isn't enough, I have to massage also. I use a massage bar that has two hard balls on it, so it might be similar to yoga tune up balls. I can really target the sore muscle with the massage bar, more than with the foam roller. I did a search and found this you tube video.
https://youtu.be/vVEiz_tZjN4
What she does at the 6:30 minute mark is how I use the massage bar on my glutes. I sit on the balls and roll on them, like a foam roller. If I do my stretching regularly, and massage every couple of days, it relieves the pain in my glutes and my SI Joint. I hope you find some relief. The nagging pain can be especially difficult when it keeps you from sleeping at night.
Old 02-24-21, 01:45 AM  
lizh

Hi everyone,
Today I did Upper Body. This is a good one but at the end, Jessica gets a little manic and tries to throw too much in. I want to scream at the TV and tell her that there is only 3:00 minutes left on the clock, so don't start bicycle abs NOW!! She doesn't listen to me though. The rest of the workout is very enjoyable.

Donna - I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble with glutes, hips, and back but I am taking notes of all the good advice you are getting for hip opening and stress relief workouts!

Pam - I hope your Mom's move is going smoothly. And you got some rest and relaxation. My 94 year old Mom is getting her 2nd shot tomorrow!

Sherry - Sounds like you had some good luck at the Goodwill. I have The Firm Volume 1 but I haven't reached for it in ages. Susan Harris was doing short 2 or 3 minute workouts on FaceBook at the beginning of the pandemic. They were fun and it was nice to "see" her again after all these years. She looked great! As for this WS3 rotation, if I can make it through this week, next week looks like fun with a lot of fusion routines and then I think I'll quit. I'm very surprised with myself that I have kept going as long as I have! hahah! very unlike me! One thing that is keeping me going is that I don't know what I want to do next!

Waves to Wishiwasinhawaii!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-21, 06:55 PM  
donnamp

Oh my goodness, today was one of those days... I will catch up tomorrow but my workouts for today:

CS 1117 (??)
Trifecta Pilates Challenge Day # 3 - Legs
Pahla B - February Workouts - Day # 4 - MetCon - Pahla style = not scary
Outdoor walk - finally, some nice weather.

A busy day at work and drama filled as well.

On a very happy note, i think CS is the answer to my back pain - it is so much better after doing CS consistently for three days - the difference in my mobility from Day 1 to Day 3 is amazing.

Now, what I need to do, since I am such a variety junkie - is find my minimum dose of CS required to keep feeling good while giving me time for other workouts I enjoy, too. I do enjoy CS but I tend to get bored with anything after awhile...but I think it needs to be in my routine regularly in order to reap the benefits.

Ok - see you all tomorrow...

Donna
Old 02-24-21, 10:56 PM  
Leonana

Yesterday I moved some heavy boxes in our garage, and tweaked my back, on the right side of course. So last night I followed Pam's advice and did the Gentle Yoga hips yoga. I think it did help. I also did some massage, and it felt pretty good after that.

Today was a workout this afternoon. The schedule was Metabolic Strength. I thought, that's strength with cardio, right? So I did WO 21 Day Tread & Shed. Although, that one is a bit hard in its own right! However, I'm not quite as limp. I did enjoy the WS3 workouts, they really relieved my stress these past three weeks, and I slept better. But my body is telling me it's had enough, and I need to switch it up.

My appointment at the cardiologist went well. I don't have very high blood pressure, the top number is normal, but the bottom number is in the 90's. So they put me on a diuretic. But because of my severe white coat syndrome, they basically have to trust me with the numbers I give them. So they did an echocardiogram. My heart is normal, yay! If you have consistent high bp, the walls of your heart are thick, and mine are thin. So double yay for working out! Hopefully, WS3 gave my heart a good workout, lol. Now I just want to lose 5-10 pounds.

Liz, that's cool that Susan Harris still looks good and works out. She does look great in this dvd. Congrats on doing the WS3 rotation, I think you stuck with it longer than me! Yeah, I tell Jessica no on the bicycle abs, lol.

Donna, so glad CS is working for you. I usually don't notice the nagging ache until I lay down at night, then I can't sleep. It's always great to get relief. I'm sorry to hear about work drama. But I guess you don't get bored!
Old 02-25-21, 01:49 AM  
lizh

Hi everyone,
This will be a short one from me because I'm beat. Tonight I really, really didn't want to work out but I went ahead and did Lower Body without the step. Once I got going, I enjoyed it, but there are a few places in this workout where I think Jessica does too many reps.

Sherry- I'm going to start looking for something different too. I'm getting bored with WS3. In addition, I've been doing Jessica, almost exclusively, for about a year, so I want to try a different instructor. I'm glad your Dr. appointment went well and your heart is normal! Very good news! And I agree that Tread & Shred is no sleeper. I like that one.

Donna- Sorry to hear about the work drama. That is the story of my life at work most days. Ugh! I'm glad to hear that you may have found the answer to the back pain! That would be awesome! Maybe more CS is in my future.

Gotta hit the hay!
Waves to Wishiwasinhawaii and Pam!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 09:14 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

CS 1118 - this was a barre routine

Pilates and Yoga w/ Katja - Your Daily Pilates Routine -(20 min). I really enjoyed this routine and Katja's instruction. She has a nice looking channel n You Tube! I plan to do more of her routines in the future - she is calm in her instruction and the setting is pretty too.

Later today I will get my Pahla B workout in and possibly a walk.

It is nice to see some sunshine!

Sherry - I'm sorry about the back getting tweaked! I'm glad your appointment went well. It sounds like WS 3.0 is best spread out - and mixed w/ other programs!

Liz - Yes- omg - we had someone get FIRED yesterday - so really quite the upheaval. It is also awkward b/c I knew things I probably shouldn't have known b/c this person confided in me - so let's put it this way - I'm glad I'm not in the office b/c it is much easier to stay out of it all by working remotely - basically, i have to play dumb about it - and it is easier to do that from afar. Yikes. But of course everyone is asking and wondering what happened.

Anyway -onward...

Donna
Old 02-25-21, 02:57 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Just some gentle workouts today to report. Began with Miranda's Aging Backwards Connective Tissue (Rebalance Your Connective Tissue) workout. And, finished up with Lee's Qi Gong Depression & Emotional Balance workout.

Both DVDs were excellent. Loved the scenery in both, especially seeing the swans behind Lee! Each workout was very therapeutic and just the ticket. Both workouts were slow moving and gentle which did wonders for the spine and breathing.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

April Focus:

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy