Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-24-14, 12:08 PM  
Kitten

Pilates Rec's please!

Ok, I'll start with a little background info and a wee rant.
My workout space gets very hot and muggy during the summer, so I decided to do a yoga/Pilates rotation. Now yoga I'm good on. I know what i like and have enough here. Pilates, not so much. Now I took a long hiatus from exercising and came back about 9 months or so ago. Which explains what happened next. I'm looking for something to do this morning and I see Windsor Pilates. I thinking, huh, can't remember the last time I did this and put it in the VCR. I nearly Joni O'd it. Now I remember why it fits on the shelf. My hubby came in looked at me and said " I really need her to say powerhouse one more time" .
So, any recommendations? I like Ellen, don't mind Denise, never really clicked with Jennifer Kries, and like workouts 30-45 minutes long but will do longer ones if I really like them. TIA!
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 12:15 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Classics: Hilary Burnett Intermediate or Advanced (depending on your level) and Ana Caban's Pilates for Abs.

Both get right to the point and don't your waste time.
Old 07-24-14, 12:36 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Some recs here:

- Element: Targeted Toning Pilates for Beginners, it has three 20 minutes workouts, having the option to play all three on the menu, and it also has a Pilates for abs 10 minutes bonus. The waistline and lower body segments (and I feel the burn on this one) are my favorites, they are all good though. Chech it here!

- Shape Pilates Workout Firm Up From Head To Toe DVD, a very nice 30 minutes workout. Check it here!

- Weight Loss Pilates by Kristin McGee, this one is hardcore! I like that you have the option of doing two 30 mins. workout including warm up and stretch or the whole think for around 53 mins. Check it here!

- I also like Plyo Pilates by Laura Tarbell, it mixes Plyo cardio with pilates moves using a stability ball, it is around 45 mins. Check it here!

HTH

ETA: I also like 10 Minute Solution Pilates workouts by Lara Hudson, she is a very pleasant instructor.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!

Last edited by AsSweetAsSugar; 07-24-14 at 02:03 PM. Reason: eta
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 01:49 PM  
dnna

Strong Strides is m absolute hardest pilates workout and I Love it .it is so hard.
I also like Total Core Pilates with Jules Benson, which has an addictive quality to it.
Fo a whole body, more like a workout than just floor work, I like Keeping Fit pilates with Andrea Metcalf and Burn by Lisa Corsello. i do find Lisa Corsello hard to hear, she really mumbles and kind of whispers which does not ruin the workout for me, but ymmv.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 02:17 PM  
TracyQ

My all time favorite go to Pilates workout is Pilates Power Ball Sculpt by Bernadette Giorgi. The workout is an hour long with two shorter premixes that I sometimes add on after running on the treadmill.

http://www.amazon.com/Bernadette-Gio.../dp/B002B41KWU

I like Strong Stride too but it doesn't have a Pilates vibe to me. It's more like grueling floor work with lots of reps. It is quite challenging.

I haven't done it in ages but from what I remember of it I agree with Sweet as Sugar's assessment of Kristen McGee's Pilates for Weight Loss being hardcore.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 02:55 PM  
imhere2dance

I learned Pilates from using Ana Cabán's DVDs. She's an excellent teacher!

My favorite workout is Cardio Pilates. It's a 30 minute mat workout, followed by 20 minutes of simple cardio. Now, I will be the first to admit that the cardio portion is just plain cheesy. I always stop the video there, but the mat workout is wonderful.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 11:08 PM  
that_tori_girl

It's kinda gimmicky but Romana's Pilates http://www.amazon.com/Romanas-Pilate...romana+pilates are my go to whenever I need to inject some Pilates in my routine. The workouts are between 20 - 30min and there's other content on the DVDs that, I'm chagrined to admit, I've never watched.

I say gimmicky because the voice over on my favorite one, Weight Management, goes on and on about how it really burns up calories. I've never worn a tracker while using these so I can't speak to how many calories it does or doesn't burn. But it's a good workout for when you're short on time and not completely inaccessible to those who are new/newish to Pilates. They got panned in reviews on Amazon but I guess I'm one of the few who don't mind them!
Old 07-24-14, 11:29 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

You may or may not click with her personality, but I've found that if you like Cassey Ho, you'll probably end up loving her She has a Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/blogilates

As well as DVD (Pop Pilates), which is currently out of stock at Mary's site, but is on sale at Collage for a good price. Here's the link for both though, just so you can see different clips:

Totalfitnessdvds.com - https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Pop...y-Ho-p/924.htm

Collage Video - http://www.collagevideo.com/products...with-cassey-ho

Let us know what you end up trying!!
Old 07-25-14, 08:24 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

One of my favorites is Tracey Mallett's Pilates Super Sculpt. It's broken down into 10 minute segments focusing on abs, butt & thighs, etc and can be done all together or in segments. I think she gives good instructions and I find the more I do it and focus on the moves, the harder it becomes. It also uses one of those small, squishy balls. I also like many of Lara Hudson's 10 Minute Solution pilates and Suzanne Bowen's Pilates Perfect Body from that series also. And I always recommend Exhale Core Fusion which isn't exactly pilates but does use some pilates moves. There is ECF Pilates Plus which is more pilates bases I would think. HTH
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 10:00 AM  
Aunt Famous

I do a lot of Pilates.Molly Tittle's Quick Cut Pilates, Andrea Speir's Pilates Perfect Body, and Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates are my three go-to workouts. I am also a big fan of Pilates for Men. I could go on for a lot longer, but these should get you started!
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite pilates dvds, jules benson, pilates, pilates for men, strong strides