Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 11-27-01, 11:03 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

low-impact kickboxing tapes - do they exist?

I know that Kathy Smith's kickboxing tape is a good one but I just don't really care for her style... I've bought and swapped away five of her tapes before - I even tried the Kellogg's Special K edited version of her kickboxing tape and didn't like it because there was too much swivelling for comfort on a carpeted surface (my apartment has wall-to-wall carpeting, unfortunately).

I just got my hands on Ginette Deslauriers' Kamikaze Workout and it looks like it could be modified for low-impact (most of the mixed impact seems to be in the first 20 minutes of the tape) but I'll to try it before I know for sure. So, is there a truly low-impact kickboxing tape out there? More kicking, less shuffling, hopping and turning around?

Any thoughts on Power Kicks by Aaron Lankford? Apartment life is not conducive to serious jumping around... Help!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 11:14 AM  
Elisa B.
VF Supporter

Power Kicks is the lowest-impact kickboxing workout I have found. In style it is similar to Kathy Smith -- simple combinations rather than the choreographed kind of kickboxing that Janis Saffell does -- but Power Kicks is more advanced and intense than Kathy's tape. It is almost all straight punching and kicking, like a series of punches, then a series of kicks, then simple combos like jab, cross, front kick.

I had Kamikaze and sold it quickly because I didn't like it for various reasons, but I remember there was more impact than I liked. Power Kicks has very few impact moves and you could easily leave them out without changing the workout. Aaron L.'s Total Energy is another good choice for low-impact kickboxing, though are think there are a couple more higher-impact moves than in Power Kicks.

Elisa
Elisa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 11:14 AM  
Clare*
Moderator/ BC Survivor

Thumbs up Powerkicks may be just right for you!

Powerkicks is definitely low impact! I think that's why it's still my favorite kickbox tape. I don't like jumping around- too jarring for my knees. My knees get enough impact with running!

It also is great for a small space.

I say thumbs up for Powerkicks!

“..Know the difference between an inconvenience & a problem. If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire- then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience. Life is inconvenient. Life is lumpy… And a lump in the oatmeal, and lump in the throat, and a lump in the breast are not the same lump. One should learn the difference.” Sigmund Wollman's Reality Test by Robert Fulghum
Clare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 12:24 PM  
Caroline Kim
VF Supporter

Powerstrike?

I think Powerstrike is pretty low-impact. They occasionally throw in some jogging and jacks, but that's easily modifiable. Most of the combos have little to no impact and rely on kicks and punches for intensity. Correct me if I'm wrong....
Old 11-27-01, 02:14 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

How long it Power Kicks and how does it breakdown by time (warm-up, cardio, strength, cool-down, etc.)? Any other suggestions that fit this category of "low-impact kickboxing"? Thanks for all the advice so far - I'll definitely try to check out Power Kicks.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 02:38 PM  
desie

GI Jabb with Katalin Zamiar

Katalin's tapes are very low impact and can be done in a small workout space. Workout One is her beginner tape. There are drills and simple combos. Cadet Kickbox is her intermediate tape. The drills and combos are a bit more complex and longer. If you're giving your all in your technique, this is a stellar cardio hour. Katalin doesn't shuffle in and out, the most she does is a boxer's bounce (on your toes, shift your weight forward and back). The most impact would be a stance switch, where you quickly change your lead foot. You are supposed to do this as softly as you can anyways and not thunk your feet against the floor. Her only high impact tape is her Warrior Workout, which includes skipping and a forward leaping kick. And, last mention, if you like circuit workouts, her Kickbox for Strengthening is fun. She alternates combos with tubing exercises and the pace is energetic, the exercises interesting and fun. Desie
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 03:16 PM  
Lenore Levine
VF Supporter

Don't Forget Todd

Todd Gheisar's Workout I is low impact, and his Workout II can easily be done low impact. (The only high impact is the jumping jacks between the actual kickboxing.)

By the way, I'm curious how these workouts compare to Katalin's beginning and intermediate workouts. If I like Todd's first two workouts, will I like those?

Lenore Levine
Lenore Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 07:41 PM  
Bonnie Shaw

Cardio Karatisize

Hi, this video is virtually no impact, it burns calories by using the large muscles of the legs, I got mine from Amazon, it's a bit expensive though $29.00 but I pre-ordered mine used and got it for $20.
Bonnie Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-01, 10:56 PM  
Pam L
VF Supporter

Power Kicks

Power Kicks is just under an hour total. There's a long warmup, about 25 minutes of kickboxing, then some toning - legwork, pushups, abs - and cooldown.
Old 11-28-01, 12:18 AM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

low impact and PowerStrike? Don't think so...

Caroline,

I don't agree (and I hope that's alright!). I have PowerStrike series 1 level 1 & Advanced #1 and these two tapes have a LOT of boxer shuffles and stance switches - not really HIGH impact but my calves are killing me when these tapes are over! I think you're right, they're doable or modifiable for folks with knee or back problems, but those plantar fascitis sufferers will be screaming.

Mercifully they're short, 30-35min each. Love PowerStrike, can't wait for the new ones....

Tags
kickboxing, low impact kickboxing