Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-20, 10:04 AM  
manleym

Hi All! I hope everyone is doing well!

Horusosirus I don't have any streaming subscriptions either. Might subscribe to Cathe's at some point, (almost did a week or two ago) but as of now that's the only one I'd be interested in, but that may change someday.

Cataddict Totally Hot Cardio is so much fun! I've done it a few times on Youtube and it's in my cart at Mary's. Missed her sale (durn!) but I'm keeping it in the cart for another time. I agree about mixing it up with these drill workouts. I love RWH series but wish there was variety with the cardio. I'm about Plyo'd out!!!

Kittybug I did RWH Legs + abs 2 yesterday too, along with UY Crosstrain. Great minds, my friend! Today I'm planning on doing RWH C, T, S and hopefully (fingers crossed that I have the stamina) Plyo 2. I'm ready for ICE as well! I was wondering yesterday if it was too early in the week to "lay on the mat and die!" Out of 7 workouts, 5 of them are HiiT/Plyo. That's alot!

ChelePA I pre-ordered Perfect 30. I'm wondering how the plyo will compare in intensity to some of her other plyo/HiiT workouts (RWH Plyo, HiiT, CCC, etc). Glad to hear your AC is up and running again! Yay! And congrats on increasing the intensity of your workout! I thought about doing Metabolic Mish Mosh yesterday but did RWH legs instead. Hopefully I can do it next week.

Bee and Kim it was me that said I might like Lauren better than Travis. But the only workout I have done with Lauren is Double Trouble with Travis, so I haven't had much exposure to her. I do like Travis but have been doing ALOT of him lately so maybe I just needed someone different that day.

Waves to all!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 10:15 AM  
fanofladyvols

Kittybug I have an embarrassingly large amount of FIRM that I put in a fabric bin in my bookshelf. I tried asking folks which ones I would regret purging and they gave me such good reasons for keeping them all!! So what do I do? Pick up on SASE a couple of Firm VHS I have never tried. Did one a few days ago and LOVED it (NSTA). Your comment of "I know it's there.." made me laugh!

Kim I'm in an even older school..I don't even have downloads! I really love my collection and how I can shop it for my needs. Space isn't an issue for me either. I end up getting duplicates sometimes if I make an eBay purchase that is a set of DVDs cheaper than the individual title. I heartily approve of your recent purchases! I also am looking forward to Perfect 30!! I'm thinking we won't see those until October though. Let's add the 4x4 set in our carts simultaneously while we wait !!

ChelePA I'm so glad you have AC!! I'm currently judging how hard a workout is by how high I have to turn my oscillating fan on in my Shred Shed.

manley you made me giggle talking about looking at that Megan Davies even though you don't know why bc you won't do BBOD. That is exactly what I did. Now if it was on DVD...I agree that she seems to hit the right note. Nobody get mad at me but Michelle Dozois voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me..(sorry ducking head). I have a DVD of 21 day so haven't tried it bc I thought she was too advanced for me at the time so not sure how Autumn will strike me.

Kate how's your hip flexor? I hate being injured!

bee I love sitting out on summer early mornings or late evenings ..it's soothing to my mind. Getting away from all electronics and listening to birds and chipmunks. The other morning it was a little less soothing as I watched a redtailed hawk snag a chipmunk and hold it down til it's baby hawk came to eat. Then dad came back and swiped it away from baby. Baby just squawked and squawked. I just sat there with my mouth hung open. It was spellbinding, lol.

cataddict I hope Cathe either says her weights in her new series or puts it onscreen. My warm-up with weights is a 3#. You crazy Watulans with your 8# and 10# warm-ups...sheesh!!

horusosiris you won't be able to hear kittybug on the drums or anyone offkey with my cowbell!! GADANK GADANK GADANK!!

Nathalie see my comment to horusosiris above...so choose your vocals wisely Thanks for the info on Total Body. I'm currently deciding on using that or the original PHA next for a total body strength day. And I hear you on the hot rooms! I have AC and still have to use an oscillating fan!

This thread has turned into an everything Cathe thread..lol. I only have ICE upper so can't chime in when you all do it but will eagerly read your thoughts! Yesterday I finally attempted Step Heat and added IMAX 2 interval #3 before the cool down/stretch of Step Heat. It was a little weird but my HR was in a nice zone. For me it didn't need any IMAXing but I'm still trying to learn that workout so I try to add the intervals in like that. I ADORE Step Heat. Can't wait to try Step Max sometime next week. Even if I hate Step Max this Classics has become my favorite step DVD. I do wonder if flubbing around with her newer stuff made these older workouts easier for me to pick up and enjoy?

So I'm thinking of doing metabolic workouts with pilates and CS. Any Cathe (no step) suggestions that fit the bill? I'm going to try 2 a days with some other titles but want a Cathe to build up for the end of the week. My husband has said I need to watch not getting too big :-\. I shouldn't have flexed my pitiful bicep at him and asked to go get 20# dumbbells. Seriously, my bicep is really puny y'all. But I did look at a pic of myself a year ago and it is different and I am definitely stronger. He has commented more than once because it's shown up in helping him easily outside. So I'm looking at the metabolic to challenge myself in new ways. Anyway looking forward to some input on plugging in a Cathe that I can modify downward easily for myself.

A hearty GADANK to all you Fierce Watulans!! ╰(*´︶`*)╯

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 11:30 AM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Kittybug I have an embarrassingly large amount of FIRM that I put in a fabric bin in my bookshelf. I tried asking folks which ones I would regret purging and they gave me such good reasons for keeping them all!! So what do I do? Pick up on SASE a couple of Firm VHS I have never tried. Did one a few days ago and LOVED it (NSTA). Your comment of "I know it's there.." made me laugh!

Kim I'm in an even older school..I don't even have downloads! I really love my collection and how I can shop it for my needs. Space isn't an issue for me either. I end up getting duplicates sometimes if I make an eBay purchase that is a set of DVDs cheaper than the individual title. I heartily approve of your recent purchases! I also am looking forward to Perfect 30!! I'm thinking we won't see those until October though. Let's add the 4x4 set in our carts simultaneously while we wait !!

ChelePA I'm so glad you have AC!! I'm currently judging how hard a workout is by how high I have to turn my oscillating fan on in my Shred Shed.

manley you made me giggle talking about looking at that Megan Davies even though you don't know why bc you won't do BBOD. That is exactly what I did. Now if it was on DVD...I agree that she seems to hit the right note. Nobody get mad at me but Michelle Dozois voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me..(sorry ducking head). I have a DVD of 21 day so haven't tried it bc I thought she was too advanced for me at the time so not sure how Autumn will strike me.

bee I love sitting out on summer early mornings or late evenings ..it's soothing to my mind. Getting away from all electronics and listening to birds and chipmunks. The other morning it was a little less soothing as I watched a redtailed hawk snag a chipmunk and hold it down til it's baby hawk came to eat. Then dad came back and swiped it away from baby. Baby just squawked and squawked. I just sat there with my mouth hung open. It was spellbinding, lol.

cataddict I hope Cathe either says her weights in her new series or puts it onscreen. My warm-up with weights is a 3#. You crazy Watulans with your 8# and 10# warm-ups...sheesh!!

horusosiris you won't be able to hear kittybug on the drums or anyone offkey with my cowbell!! GADANK GADANK GADANK!!

Nathalie see my comment to horusosiris above...so choose your vocals wisely Thanks for the info on Total Body. I'm currently deciding on using that or the original PHA next for a total body strength day. And I hear you on the hot rooms! I have AC and still have to use an oscillating fan!

This thread has turned into an everything Cathe thread..lol. I only have ICE upper so can't chime in when you all do it but will eagerly read your thoughts! Yesterday I finally attempted Step Heat and added IMAX 2 interval #3 before the cool down/stretch of Step Heat. It was a little weird but my HR was in a nice zone. For me it didn't need any IMAXing but I'm still trying to learn that workout so I try to add the intervals in like that. I ADORE Step Heat. Can't wait to try Step Max sometime next week. Even if I hate Step Max this Classics has become my favorite step DVD. I do wonder if flubbing around with her newer stuff made these older workouts easier for me to pick up and enjoy?

So I'm thinking of doing metabolic workouts with pilates and CS. Any Cathe (no step) suggestions that fit the bill? I'm going to try 2 a days with some other titles but want a Cathe to build up for the end of the week. My husband has said I need to watch not getting too big :-\. I shouldn't have flexed my pitiful bicep at him and asked to go get 20# dumbbells. Seriously, my bicep is really puny y'all. But I did look at a pic of myself a year ago and it is different and I am definitely stronger. He has commented more than once because it's shown up in helping him easily outside. So I'm looking at the metabolic to challenge myself in new ways. Anyway looking forward to some input on plugging in a Cathe that I can modify downward easily for myself.

Linda your posts are always so much fun to read. That is until the part about the hawk catching the chipmunk. OMG!!! I actually gasped out loud! I am an animal lover through and through and I am fascinated by hawks. I just love them! EXCEPT, I hate the thought of how they get their dinner. Because, well, I love all animals, especially sweet little chipmunks. But then I feel so sorry for those poor baby hawks with empty bellies grumbling. They (and their parents) have to eat too.

I saw a hawk swipe a bird right out of the air in our back yard once. It was very traumatic but I don't know what I would do if I saw what you witnessed. I can't imagine.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 01:31 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post

Many of the free Cathe live workouts on her Facebook gym page are metabolic. Those are my favorite when doing a weight workout. Not a big fan of weights only. Although I do it because I know it’s important. Do you have Lite Metabolic? Or Fit Split Metabolic Conditioning? Also good ones.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 01:49 PM  
horusosiris

Happy Tuesday to All

Well, I continuing on with Sleek. I did a 30 minute bootcamp workout and a barre technique workout. I like the way Flik and Victoria use the body as a unit and that stretching and lengthening seems to be incorporated in so many of the moves. After my eight weeks of Erin and prior to that a Cathe strength rotation, I was feeling stiff. I noticed today that I did feel considerably looser and a bit more flexible. I had planned to do Sleek for a month but now I am thinking that I will incorporate a large dose of Sleek into my August rotation.

Linda- Any of these workouts may fit the bill for Cathe metabolic workouts - Crossfire, Afterburn, Bootcamp (SS), Flex Train, Supercuts, PHA Training and Total Body Giant Sets. I agree with you about Michelle's voice, even though I do her workouts every now and then.

Kittybug- I use to subscribe to Leah's streaming service but I found that I really did not use it. The workouts seemed okay but I do not think that she effectively or successfully combined barre and weight work. I like to do a mixture of barre work and strength work but for me becasue of the manner in which she combined them, both were lacking. There was not enough barre work or strength work in the workouts and/or rotations.

Mickey- Even though I know that all animals have to eat, it still bothers me that many they have to kill each other to do that. I guess that is partially the reason why I am basically a vegetarian.

Manelym- I think that Cathe has an annual Black Friday sale for her streaming service.

Kim- I too have so many workouts. I have been collecting DVDs and workouts for a long time. I have kept the overwhelming majority and I am glad that I did. My taste and needs in workouts have fluctuated so much over time.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 04:12 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hi Everyone! Yes, I preordered the new Cathes and I'm so happy to hear they've filmed. I'm wondering if it'll be closer to Christmas -- it seems like it's always way later than she wants.

As for streaming..... the only thing I have now is that really cheap Chris Freytag one -- I never use it. I find the whole method of streaming cumbersome -- either watching on a tiny screen or having to hook up equipment -- so I'm just not thrilled with it. That's my big hesitation on Travis. I even bought a new cord so I could use my phone instead of having to drag my laptop to the workout room (in my barn). But so far I have not been able to get that working.

Yes, I too have an abundance of dvd workouts -- I rarely part with them and I'm happy I have space to store them because I do come back to things eventually, it seems.

manleym, maybe you should mix up some easier Cathe with RWH -- those are pretty intense. Just a thought. And if you're not used to doing UY, then they can be somewhat grueling!

Linda, I always think of her boot camp workouts as "metabolic" -- I know they are different, but I think metabolic is sort of the new boot camp. Does anyone else agree with me? So you have three more potentials there: original, ICE, and Strong & Sweaty, if you have them. Oh, I guess there is always 4DS but it's only 30 minutes for that part.

I didn't sleep well last night. I'm mostly a person who does not stress much anymore, but I woke up and couldn't stop thinking about how my kids are never going to "launch" because of covid. In the light of day I figure things will work out for them at some point, but to have college so messed up..... just doesn't seem like a great way to being adulthood. Anyway, I wanted something easy, so I did an upper body weights from Jessica Smith's Walk Strong series, followed by some Sleek Technique -- I think the disc is called barre. I do like all that incorporated stretching but they don't have a lot of reps of each move, it seems.

It's an absolutely gorgeous day here. I may have to go throw the ball around with the dogs......
Old 07-14-20, 05:37 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy Tuesday, Watulans!

Today was Really Wicked Hard's Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps plus Low Impact HIIT #2. I realized I've been doing RWH in some form for nearly a month now! No wonder I'm worn out! ICE will be such a nice change!

Kim, I think that's brilliant you've hung onto everything you collected over the years. I wish I would have, but I've moved so many times. I've just really recently learned that A, my tastes change constantly and I never know when something I've poo-poohed is now my go-to, and B, DVDs are harder to get now, some are out of print, and I could kick myself for some of the things I've gotten rid of!!!

ChelePA, yes, join us for ICE!!! So glad you're getting back to being able to do more high impact moves again!

Manleym, my sister, laughing that we're RWH'ing the same ones practically! I felt that way today, lay on the mat and die! Goodness, these are so brutal! Tomorrow I'm taking a yoga break before finishing out the week with the two circuits (hopefully if I don't die before that) and then leaving Really Wicked Hard behind for a while!

Fanofladyvols, your post made me laugh so hard (yeah, except the hawk part, ewwwww)!!!! I've got some pretty serious biceps definition right now, and I got so excited about that the other day, I pointed it out to my husband who said, "Yeah, I know...I'm going to have to get back to the gym or I'll have to make YOU carry all the really heavy stuff into the house from the store." He hasn't gone back to the gym yet...but I don't blame him!

Horusosiris, I think your post cut off...very curious about what you thought about Leah (because I wonder if I think the same thing)?

Bee, I agree on the metabolics...I always kind of think of them as AWT (aerobic weight training) just a new name hah hah hah...but also bootcamp! Oh, but Fanofladyvols, do you have the ICE Metabolic Total Body? That's a great one, one of my absolute favs!

Hope everyone is doing okay...hope I didn't miss anyone! Stay fierce, my Watulan friends!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 06:54 PM  
Mickey12

Kittybug I like your new name for RWH - Really Wicked Hard!

Tonight I did Plyo #2. I find that one so brutal, but it's so fun! Do you guys do it on 8 inches? I am on a 6 inch step and not able to finish each Hiit without stopping early to gasp for air. I really like Hiit workouts and love that they are so short.

Hope Kate is ok. I don't think she's posted in a while.

Stay fierce everyone!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 08:30 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Happy Tuesday!

Yesterday I did the Cathe Live at Five. I wasn't in the mood for what should have been my next workouts (something combined with High Reps Lower Body or Lower Body Blast) so the Five O'Clock Cathe is my fallback. It was Cardio HiiT metabolic. I did preorder Perfect 30. I'm looking forward to it but I also can wait, since I have a whole lot of workouts in my collection!

Today I took a break from Cathe and did Petra Kolber's The Last Step which was one that I ordered from Mary. What fun this was! Not so intense that I felt like I was going to drop over and challenging choreography that I had fun learning. I didn't get it all the first time, but that's okay since if I did I might not do it again. It was a bit complicated, so those of you that feel like you have two left feet may not be drawn to it, but it also wasn't Seasun Z or Amy B complicated. I had originally planned to do one of the Sleeks as an add on, but the Petra workout was more than an hour and my DH was home and I had promised him I would help him with a project. So the Sleeks will have to wait another day. Incidentally the package from Mary looked like that gorilla from the Samsonite luggage commercial from eons ago had gotten hold of it---the corners were torn up and the Sleek plastic case for the three disks was broken. I could hear plastic rattling around in it when I got it from the mailbox. The disks look okay, so hopefully they play okay. The Christi disk is loose in the case but I haven't opened it yet.

Kim, I use either a 6 or 8 inch step on RWH, depending on how I feel. The hot weather makes me want to use 6 inches since I'm sweating buckets with very little effort these days. Sister, I also have hung on to what I've bought over the years, although I have given away VHS tapes that were reissued on DVD (that I also bought). So I also have a ton of workouts that pretty much fill a 6 ft bookcase in my workout room. I have organized them by instructor (and Cathe by year) so I can see them all.

Kim, I hope you enjoy Double Down! I like both Amy and Paul, and I like this workout.

horusosiris, I don't have any subscriptions either. I'm still debating about Cathe Live, but I don't know how I would have time to fit them in!

Linda and horusosiris, I think I brought up Michele's voice, and it can be annoying and shrill. That said, I like her workouts when she tones it down and I can tolerate her voice in small doses. No ducking necessary, Linda!

bee, it really is an uncertain time particularly for kids. DH & I have two young grandchildren, and we worry about their education since those early years in school are so critical for how well they will do in later years. Their school system hasn't made decisions as to what this coming school year will look like in terms of online v in person learning.

kittybug, I plan on mixing in some cardio from other instructors when I get to RWH. It's one tough series. No wonder you are tired if you've been doing it for a month!

ChelePA, yay for AC! Tell your DH to Suck it up, Buttercup! Wear a sweatshirt!

Waves to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 08:41 PM  
horusosiris

Kittybug- Yes i forgot to finish my sentence. I edited my post above .

Bee- Some Sleek workouts have more reps than others. In general the longer barre workouts have more variety and more reps.

Bee and Cataddict- Yes, these days the whole schooling situation is in flux. One of my sons and his family have formed a group with a few other parents to home school the children if the schools do not reopen or if they feel it is not safe to send them to the schools. They are in the process of submitting all of the materials to the state to home school just in case... My family and extended have an abundance of educators, so most of us joined joined together for a summer enrichment program for all of the children. I mostly worked with the older high school age family members. School and College online is just not the same. The social aspect is severely lacking. My university is still trying to work out the myriad of details, including living situations, balancing the online classes with the in person classes. It is tough all around.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analysis paralysis, cathe, cathe rotation, cathe rotation checkin, cathe rotations, too many choices, too many options, variety, watulan check-in