Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-17, 06:54 AM  
IceQueen07

Body Beast or Hammer & Chisel

I am trying to decide whether I want to try BodyBeast or Hammer & Chisel. I want lean muscle definition, not bulk. If you had to choose one to purchase which one would be the better purchase and/or better program.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 09:28 AM  
laurajhawk

I haven't done Hammer & Chisel, but Body Beast is specifically designed to bulk (add muscle mass).

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 09:51 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I have both programs and in my opinion, Body Beast is more of a "body building" program. The transformations I've seen have been more along the lines of a body building physique. If that's what you want (lean muscle mass) then that's the program for sure! The program has three phases - Build, Bulk, and Beast. In Build you work multiple muscle groups, in Bulk it's broken down more into individual muscle groups, and the final phase is a combination of both. People have all said they've "fluffed" in the bulk phase and then "cut" in the beast phase.

Hammer and Chisel is a total body type of workout program. You work the major muscle groups everyday (except for the cardio only workouts). Surprisingly Autumn's workouts are a little harder than some of Sagi's workouts! But I did enjoy Sagi's total body heavy weight workouts the most. I've seen transformations using this program that are more along the lines of more muscle definition and not so much mass gain.

So they're both completely different programs! You'll have to decide which one will help you reach your goals!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 12:03 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I have both programs and in my opinion, Body Beast is more of a "body building" program. The transformations I've seen have been more along the lines of a body building physique. If that's what you want (lean muscle mass) then that's the program for sure! The program has three phases - Build, Bulk, and Beast. In Build you work multiple muscle groups, in Bulk it's broken down more into individual muscle groups, and the final phase is a combination of both. People have all said they've "fluffed" in the bulk phase and then "cut" in the beast phase.

Hammer and Chisel is a total body type of workout program. You work the major muscle groups everyday (except for the cardio only workouts). Surprisingly Autumn's workouts are a little harder than some of Sagi's workouts! But I did enjoy Sagi's total body heavy weight workouts the most. I've seen transformations using this program that are more along the lines of more muscle definition and not so much mass gain.

So they're both completely different programs! You'll have to decide which one will help you reach your goals!
Very helpful explanation!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 12:48 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I have H&C and haven't done an entire rotation - just sprinkling in the workouts into my usual regime.

the set I got included a bonus disc from Body Beast. I believe it was the total body disc. I love Sagi - he's funny. amber is somewhat the "straight man" in H&C series.

I haven't helped answer your question!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 12:56 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

I totally love H&C. BB tends to irritate my shoulder, all those endless sets and reps. Choosing heavy enough weights H&C is perfect for me. I usually add extra arms and abs or some kbell workouts.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 01:42 PM  
jusca

I would say body beast. It's more well rounded if you can do the splits and long running time. H&C lacks a solid focus on upper body in my opinion. Everyday it seems like the legs are fried. I got results with it but my legs were dog tired day in and out. I stopped half way in that rotation.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 05:05 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post

Great explanation! I personally prefer heavy lifting, so I lean more towards Body Beast. I just love Sagi and have always gained strength with BB. Much more muscle definition.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-17, 06:46 PM  
IceQueen07

Thanks for the opinions and explanations. They help alot. I worry about the bulking and have read that some that do don't always get results with the cut. I have mainly stuck to high rep/low weight and want to change things up. I can't go real heavy though because I am limited with my dumbbells right now. I have 2 to 20lbs.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 11:06 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Don't worry about bulking. You don't have enough testosterone. Heavy weight lifting will do amazing things for metabolism as well as bone strength. The thing that bulks us girls up is fat over the muscle.
Just sayin' ;-)

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body beast, hammer and chisel