Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-17, 08:38 AM  
sherry7899

OT-question for contact lens wearers

I have worn contact lenses for over thirty years. I've always been able to put them in before 7am and wear them until 10pm or even later without even being aware of them at all. In the past few weeks, they have started to bug me. Sometimes I can feel them in my eye. I've been using re-wetting drops which helps a little. I am not wearing a different brand. I take them out and clean them every night. I use the same pair for one month (taking them out and cleaning then each night) and open a new pair on the first of each month.

Do your eyes get less tolerant as you get older (I'm 48)? My eyes don't feel dry when I'm wearing glasses. I absolutely hate wearing glasses. I can't see as well, and I've never found frames I like. Plus, I'm so nearsighted that the lenses make my eyes look a lot smaller.

I'll check with my eye doctor if this keeps happening.

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 08:53 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I have worn contacts forever as well. As I've gotten older, I can't wear them as long. I hate glasses too (nearsighted, like you), but I have had to wear them more and more. My contacts now have to be out by 7 PM. No reason provided from the eye doc, other than some dryness of the eye (but not enough for treatment of dry eye). I can relate .

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 08:56 AM  
jcmclean

What is causing the eye irritation is a complicated question. I've worn soft contacts for 40 years and recently have experienced problems so I took the providers advice and just replaced them immediately rather than wait for the 1month period. They said the lenses may be "contaminated".
jcmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 08:57 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi Sherry, I've worn contact lenses for maybe 40 years and I have found over the past 10 years-ish that I can't wear them for as long as I used to. They do start to feel uncomfortable so if I'm staying home and don't need to see that clearly I will wear my glasses around the house. I agree I see better with the lenses so I need them when I'm out and about driving etc. I am almost 60 ;btw. I didn't think my eyes were dry either but I went to the eye dr a few months ago for a sty on my eye and he did give me lubricating drops to use on my eyes before I put my lenses in. I must say they did become more comfortable so I guess my eyes are getting a little drier with age. He didn't mention it but I put 2 + 2 together . He didn't tell me to wear my lenses less but I just started doing it on my own for comfort reasons. HTH
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 09:19 AM  
zoegirl

This exact same thing has happened to me! I have worn contacts all day every day for 40+ years. Over the last several months, I couldn't really describe it but my eyes always felt like something was in them or on my contacts. I tried drops and different cleaning solutions. Like you, I was diligent about cleaning them and using a fresh pair every month. There were days I would yank my contacts out, once even leaving church to go take them out because they were just driving me crazy. I finally went to the doctor and she told me that everyone has tiny bumps on the inside of their eyelids, but mine were huge, caused from the years and years of wearing contacts. She gave me some Rx drops and I had to get glasses. She said the bumps will get better but will never go away.

She said I could wear my contacts occasionally, for special occasions, but not for extended periods. I tried to wear them the other day, but by mid-afternoon I was ready to rip them out! It has been a huge adjustment for me to go from contacts to glasses, but I am trying to have a good attitude about it. Not much I can do about it anyway!

Hope you find a solution soon! I had never heard of this before, so in a way I'm glad I'm not alone. But I hate that you are going through it, too! Good luck!
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 09:20 AM  
cherimac

Our eyes definitely get drier. I had tw switch brands two years ago to multifocal lens and they were drier and had a learning curve for sure.
Old 03-22-17, 09:27 AM  
dianestjohn

I have worn contacts for 40 years and about 5 years ago (in my early 50s) I had to switch brands because my eyes felt dry and gritty. I now wear Dailies Total One which you replace every day and which stay super moist and comfortable. My eye doctor told me everyone's eyes get drier as we age and women have the added challenge of hormonal effects on eyes.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 09:28 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you for the empathy and information. I really appreciate it! If they keep bothering me, I will call my eye doctor.

summer breeze-were those prescription drops you got to put in before your contacts? Thank you! I think that would help a lot.

Sherry

Diane-thanks for the response. I am wondering if I will need to switch to lenses you use for two weeks or daily ones. I think the daily ones are much more expensive, which is why I have avoided them for so long. I also am really nearsighted, so I think that limits my brand options.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 10:26 AM  
Demeris

I wore contacts for almost 40 years. I stopped wearing them when I retired.

And much of the reason for giving them up was how they became increasingly irritating to my eyes the older I got.

In my twenties and thirties, I swam with my contacts in. Even the pressure of the goggle was nothing to me.

In my forties, I had to take them out to swim. Then, around 50, I needed to take them out as soon as I got home from work. And I stopped wearing them on the weekends, except for church.

When I retired, I realized I was putting them in ONCE A WEEK, just to go to church, because they got irritated with the amount of time I spent outside, with the animals and the pollen and dust. And I decided to give them up for good. Now I own over 30 pairs of glasses--colors and frames to go with every mood and every outfit.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 10:30 AM  
AnMrsDe

I can't wear my multifocal contacts as much anymore either. But right now, it's because of allergy issues. I just want to scratch out my eyes, it's so bad! Drops have been helping a little but not enough! Maybe allergies are an issue for you?
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote