Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-30-14, 11:12 PM  
violingal3

KBKB Scorcher Series 2.0

I got my set from Mary on Monday and wanted to post my review and breakdowns for you guys! I've done both workouts and give it two thumbs up! Still doesn't hold a candle to the original Scorcher Series, but this was much, much, much better than Body and 7DL! I felt like I got a great workout from both workouts and you can modify up or down to fit your needs.

If you don't like Dasha's talking, well nothing is going to change. I was busy breaking a sweat, so any issues with talking/music/set don't bother me. It's the white set and I didn't really pay attention to the music. There are a few audio options - no music or no cuing. There is the main countdown timer for the entire workout, and there is a bar in the center counting down the 20 or 10 second intervals. Dasha can be a little off here, so I just paid attention to the timer rather than her cues.

The DVDs are mislabeled, so whatever workout you want to do, pop in the other DVD. LOL There was also a little audio blunder during the cooldown of one of the workouts (I can't remember, maybe it was KB Killer Combos). It sounded like fireworks or a machine gun going off - don't worry, it's just the DVD. I was enjoying a nice stretch when I just about had a heart attack, but hopefully it's just my DVD!

Dasha has two background exercisers - there is a different one in each workout to show beginner modifications, Janelle is in both workouts to show the advanced options. Dasha works somewhere in between talking about all the modifications you can do.

Pure Power (~50 min)

This workout has eight tabatas with 20 sec work/10 sec rest or active rest. You repeat each move eight times before moving on to the next set of exercises. There is one minute of rest between tabatas.

Warm Up
Light jumps side to side, jogging in place, twists, kicks, & some warm up movements including the KB - stretching hamstrings, hold press, hot potato

Tabata 1 – KB swings/overhead hold

Tabata 2 – SAQ ladder/light shuffle
(SAQ are just like quick lateral jumps, balancing range of motion with speed)

Tabata 3 – true high pull/halo

Tabata 4 – snap kick sprawl (w/optional jump)/static squat or shuffles or rest
(my legs were toast, static squats were impossible during the rest!)

Tabata 5 – squat swing or swing switches/rest
(squat swing was a new one for me, it was kind of fun once I got the motion down, felt like I was on a seesaw!)

Tabata 6 – leopard variations/child’s pose
(Dasha shows some leopard progressions with each set so you can stick to basic or go advanced)

Tabata 7 – clean push press/rest

Tabata 8 – skiing/rest

Stretch
Option to use KB or not – forward bend, child’s pose, butterfly, hamstring, quads

KB Killer Combos (~40 min)

This workout has six tabatas (even though Dasha says eight) with 20 sec work/10 sec rest or active rest. You repeat each move eight times before moving on to the next set of exercises. There is one minute of rest between tabatas.

Warm Up
Toe taps on KB, hamstring stretch, anchored windmill, good mornings, hot potato

Tabata 1 – swing variations/overhead hold
(take your pick for swings here to mix it up or not)

Tabata 2 – surfers/rest

Tabata 3 – KB yoyo squats/halo w/tricep press
(the yoyo squats are a move from the first Scorcher set – basically alternating hinging from the hips and deep squats)

Tabata 4 – jump rope and switches/rest
(there is a progression of jump rope and switches here where you start with one rep each and then two…eventually build up to about 14 by the end of the eight rounds)

Tabata 5 – side swings/rest
(umm, interesting move, kind of like a fluid wood chop from side to side)

Tabata 6 – kicks, sprawl and kickout/rest
(take you pick of front kicks to mix it up)

Stretch
Forward bend and roll up using KB, hamstring stretch, quad stretch, quad foam roll (using KB), arm stretch
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-14, 11:52 PM  
hpy2dnc

Thank you violingal3 for the detailed review. I love the original Scorcher series and was concerned my expectations for 2.0 might be too high after viewing the clips. Your review has pushed me into the buy mode. Off to order from Mary!

Karen
hpy2dnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-14, 03:22 AM  
Betty Boop

Thank you so much for the workout breakdown!

I do wish Dasha had chaptered the DVDs.
Old 12-31-14, 08:51 AM  
upperwside

Thank you.. hope mine comes today!
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-14, 09:13 AM  
debbied
VF Supporter

Violingal3, I don't want to be nasty as I have all three of Dasha's sets and LOVE the workouts. I did a rotation of 7DL and people asked me what I was doing I know it's subjective, but WHAT does she talk about in this set? If it's pointers and encouragement, I'm ok. If it's talk about how great these dvds are and how she planned out each movement, I just don't think I can get through it.

I couldn't get a feel by just watching the clips. TIA And thanks for the breakdowns. I really want to want them.

Constantly in a state of gratitude.

Dream big because the only thing that can hold you back is a life without dreams. Sean O'Malley

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. Jean Kerr
debbied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-14, 09:27 AM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbied View Post
I know it's subjective, but WHAT does she talk about in this set? If it's pointers and encouragement, I'm ok. If it's talk about how great these dvds are and how she planned out each movement, I just don't think I can get through it.
She's mostly talking about form and modifications. She gets pretty breathless doing the moves, so a lot of it sounds mumbled as she's jumping up and down etc... She started talking about how great the KBKB community was at the very end of one of the workouts, but I didn't stick around for that 'cause I was done with the workout!

I also didn't watch the hour long review session, so no comment on that.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-14, 11:08 AM  
debbied
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
She's mostly talking about form and modifications. She gets pretty breathless doing the moves, so a lot of it sounds mumbled as she's jumping up and down etc... She started talking about how great the KBKB community was at the very end of one of the workouts, but I didn't stick around for that 'cause I was done with the workout!

I also didn't watch the hour long review session, so no comment on that.
Thanks, I think I guess I'll have to buy it today since I'm on a No Buy starting tomorrow.

I so wish she would put an option on a future set where she cues the move and then gives a ten second countdown to the end. Nothing in between.

Constantly in a state of gratitude.

Dream big because the only thing that can hold you back is a life without dreams. Sean O'Malley

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. Jean Kerr
debbied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-14, 02:35 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Thank you for the review.
Old 12-31-14, 05:30 PM  
MelissaR

I've had this in my cart at Mary's site since it was available for pre-order, but was waiting for reviews before ordering… One review & that was all it took (I'm such a push over)! I love all the Kettlebell Kickboxing workouts (least fave is 7 Day Lean) so I figured I'd like these too. However, the 50 min workout is going to be too long for me, but after reading the breakdown (thank you BTW!), I think it will be easy enough to skip parts to get the time down some. Keep the reviews coming!!
MelissaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-15, 04:17 AM  
suzannaerin

7DL is my least favorite of the KBKB releases, and I've tested out only a couple of the DVDs on the Body series (I hate figure 8s---she seems to do a lot of them in Body, at least in the cardio focused workouts I tried).

I hope that she puts out a Scorcher 3 that is true to the Scorcher format but incorporates a recovery/mobility/flexibility session or two.

I'm going to do one of the Scorcher 2's tomorrow, along with Scorcher 1/Power. Really looking forward to it!! I'm so happy Janelle is in these.

I see the incessant talking as her trademark and it doesn't bother me much, it's more like background noise. She's just a chatterbox!
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dasha libin, kettlebell kickboxing, scorcher, sprawl