Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-15, 12:18 AM  
Candiceena

Molly Galbraiths' take on training when you're sore

Hi everyone,

I subscribe to Molly Galbraith's newsletter (she is part of Girls Gone Strong). She recently sent out this info in an email which I found very interesting to see her take on it & thought I would share it here for my fellow VFers

Quote:
So this begs the question: do you still train when you're sore?

Let's clear one thing up really quickly: soreness is NOT necessarily indicative of a good workout.

Yes, soreness many times follows a hard workout, but it doesn't automatically mean that your workout was effective.

When it comes to training when sore, you have a few options, each with their own set of pros and cons. You can:

1) Continue with your normal workout
2) Modify your workout
3) Skip your workout altogether

What you choose is dependent upon a number of factors including, but not limited to your:

- Training age
- Goals
- Specific training program
- Recovery strategies you have in place
- Schedule/priorities

For me, I take whether or not I train through extreme soreness on a case-by-case basis. I generally end up doing a modified version of my planned workout, or what I could consider to be a recovery workout.

Because I strength training 3-4 days a week, and I don't have a specific competition or meet in my future, it's not difficult for me to take an extra rest day if I need it, and it's not a big deal if I get a day or two on my training program.

For example, the day after my Deadlift, instead of lifting heavy, I chose to do the following workout:

Breathing + Dynamic Warm-up x 15 minutes

Then, a circuit of:

- Pull-ups (leaving 2 "in the tank" each set)
- Light Goblet Squat x 10
- Light KB Snatch + 3 OH Press + 3 Windmills each side
- Light Prowler Push
Repeat 3 x for a total of 4 sets

After my Bench Press Day, I actually took 2 straight days off from the gym, and did light walks through my neighborhood for 40-60 minutes each day (<-- this was a combination of being sore, needing to recover, and having a lot of work to do!)

Tonight I'll be back in the gym (Squatting most likely) and Saturday will probably be an Overhead Pressing day.

So in total, my week consisted of:

- 3-4 days heavy strength training (3 if I don't train on Saturday)
- 1 day light recovery movement with weights
- 2 days of of 40-60 minutes of walking
- I also did a couple of other short 30 min walks this week

Modifying your schedule this way may not be possible for you.

Maybe you can only make it to the gym on certain days of the week, and you're preparing for a specific competition or goal, and if that's the case, I totally understand.

In that instance, I would most likely try to complete your normal strength training workout, while understanding that it's unlikely that you'll be able to train at the same intensity as normal, and that's OK.

You can plan for it like this:

Try reducing the weight used by 10-20%, and spreading your volume out over an extra set or two, so each set is less taxing.

For example, if you were supposed to do moderately heavy DB Bench Press for 4 sets of 8 (so 32 total reps) using 40 lb DB's, you could instead do:

8 reps @ 35 lbs.
6 reps @ 35 lbs.
6 reps @ 35 lbs.
6 reps @ 35 lbs.
6 reps @ 35 lbs.

^^Here you're doing the same amount of volume, with slightly less weight, and your body will feel much less taxed overall.

This is just one idea, of course. Other ideas include:

- Doing one less set of each exercise
- Dropping the weight by 10-20% and keeping everything else the same
- Resting longer between every set

And if you CAN take a day off from the gym when you're super sore, give it a go!

You'll come back fresher, feeling better, and ready to train hard again soon!

Yours in health,

Molly
Old 08-16-15, 07:22 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I def. still workout when I'm sore. I don't do a really hard workout, but I make sure to do some kind of movement. Otherwise I get so stiff!

I do think it's good to dispel the myth that sore=good workout, or not sore=you didn't work hard enough. I typically find I'm sore anytime I do something different, whether it was particularly hard or not.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 07:55 AM  
bubbles76

I workout when sore, usually using different muscle groups. I generally plan my workouts that way. For instance, if I know I'm going to be working lower body really hard, the next day I'll either (1) strength train upper body small muscle groups or (2) do a boxing workout. I may be able to do a hi/lo workout but definitely not step
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 08:12 AM  
Sharaz

I always end with DOMS when I push myself beyond my comfort zone. At the beginning the change of pace get me DOMS, but as I became more efficient I add more weight or increase difficulty. I can leave things as it is and just get a workout in, but I am not like that. I am always striving to become better. So, I am pretty much always working out with some sore of soreness. Periods of low intensity helps me with recovery and avoid injuries.

Personally, my mindset control my actions. I have been in special advance training (not fitness related) where I had to perform with fatigue and pain. Is not the end of the world for me.
Old 08-16-15, 12:32 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm the opposite. I rest when sore. I once went on a walking tour of the city the day after doing a tough leg workout. I thought I'd loosen up as the walk progressed. I didn't. Instead it got worse, and I finally had to cut out early.
Old 08-16-15, 01:34 PM  
dela

I find continuing with my workouts helps alleviate the soreness faster.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
girls gone strong, molly galbraith, training when sore