Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-15, 07:57 AM  
TinaT

I had a similiar issue years ago and decided that using very heavy weight on a regular basis was not for me. I use light to moderate poundage and go for the AWT routines. Right now I'm into Tracie Long. I'm using my muscles differently as well with strength/functional fitness method.

I walk on the days I don't want to use weights, whether it's outside or using a dvd.

Good luck,
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 08:12 AM  
poohpeggy

10 weeks is a long time to see no results. I worked out to Jari Love for Jan and Feb. I used 5 and 8 lb weights and slimmed right down. I thought I would lose a lot of strength using such light weights but I shoveled seriously heavy snow and have been doing Cathe weights without any problems. I am pleasantly surprised with Jari. BTW, I am 54 and my meds make it very hard to lose weight and I still have steady results.
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 08:42 AM  
andtckrtoo

I can't lift super heavy because the exact same thing happens to me. It's not you, it's the workout that's wrong for you. Some people slim down lifting heavy, others do not.

Try workouts that are more metabolic or cardio based. Or go the complete opposite way and do Tracy Anderson (I lost the most weight when I was following Tracy - I call her the magic b-word because she works so well, but she's sooo boring.). I seem to be doing pretty well with my barre/kickbox rotation and I'm 50, so even further up there.
Old 04-12-15, 08:56 AM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheHat View Post
Help!

I'm 42, just had baby #2 last summer. I easily got my body back after #1, even though I really packed on 55 lbs. With #2, I worked out daily right through to the day before I went into labor, and only put on 30 lbs. I was so excited to know I wasn't going to have a long road to get my body back.

And, so here we are. Nine months later. I got back into the groove rather quickly after baby was born only because I love lifting and crave it. I had Body Beast in my back pocket to knock off the last bit and get back into my old clothes. And I'm not there. I just finished Week 10 of Body Beast yesterday. I did everything they said in the nutrition guide. I am definitely stronger, but I look HORRIBLE. I look like a bigger, chubbier version of my former self.

At this point, I'm quitting and going back to working out a couple times a week. Waiting on blood test results to see if my thyroid is an issue, but can anyone help me? My OB said, "Welcome to your 40's" but seriously, to do BB 6 days a week for 10 weeks and follow the food guide and have zero change? In fact, I gained weight and it's not like it's good muscular weight, at least if it is, I can't see it.

I'm actually about to all out quit everything because I'm so disappointed. Can anyone shed any light?
Had you done Body Beast before and gotten the results you wanted?
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 09:24 AM  
sherry7899

Are you breast feeding? Maybe that is affecting things somehow? I wish I had an. answer for you

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 09:32 AM  
TinierTina

Ahhh, if only to be a Hypochondriac in such a Situation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Fitness really is about the parts and does constantly change. If it's not getting you where you want to be at the moment, shelf it and come back to it (or not). I also wish I knew my magic bullet and that it was a constant. I'm 46 now and just had blood work that was normal.
It's when conditions are undiagnosed, that there is a problem—sometimes a REAL BIG ONE or ONES.

I never was diagnosed "prediabetic", yet I can trace my strength being visually (nobody was medically trained so much as a nurse who live-taught me fitness) grossly overestimated, due to bloated muscles. Even to the medically-trained eye, cannot always be relied upon as a dead giveaway. Nor, my once-runaway foot-bleed due to a home-pedicure beauty regimen back in 2011 (which did not fully heal before a callus started to form) ...

No A1C (expensive test for my under- and uninsured state at the time) test was vetting my condition.

I say that as a Type 2 diabetic, well managed for over 2 years now; and certainly dumbfounding an entire medical group. It had come in severe and I had wasted down to just this side of being underweight from a high-normal BMI maintained continuously for a decade prior ...

Oh, and as a palimpsest to my original weight maintenance plan, from the years 2010 to 2012, I starvation-dieted myself into preventing a weight gain of more than 20 pounds ... hadn't known what hit me.

Instead of getting angry at my fitness instructors for that "torture" they put me through, I suppose I should have gotten hypochondria instead ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 10:14 AM  
CatInTheHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
Had you done Body Beast before and gotten the results you wanted?
I had not, but as I was lifting heavier I was seeing more muscle, so I decided to amp it up with Body Beast. I'm not sure if my body sensed the strenuous workouts and just held on to the calories or what but I'm surprised I didn't lose a thing. Actually - that's not entirely true. In the first 6 weeks I lost 5 lbs, but then it all came flying back on.

LoveVA - I miss the Firms! While I wasn't losing a ton with them, at least I wasn't gaining!

I'm officially on a break. Today is Orthodox Easter, so while I'm not religious, the family is convening for a huge eating festival so I'll be partaking in that. Then tomorrow I'm going to rest for a week on the workouts and follow "The Plan" cleanse. I did all the shopping for it yesterday, I want to see if any of this is the aforementioned inflammation issues.

I also admit I got mildly derailed, I had been reading the Reddit forum xx/fitness and loving a lot of the advice there. I got lots of good info on nutrition and such, but I think that in general the women on that forum are about half my age and they have different goals - they want to get huge. More power to them, I love reading about their journeys but I guess that path isn't for me as my body doesn't react the same.

I'm loving the advice you all have given - at the very least to see that many of you have endured the same discouraging stretches of time and were able to overcome it makes me realize I'm not crazy!
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 10:20 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I just thought of these things. Maybe they pertain to you, maybe they don't. When I do heavy weight training, I can gain as much as 5 lbs afterwards due to the muscles holding fluid. If you're weight training daily, the muscles never have a chance to lose the fluid. That could be a factor.

Also insulin resistance is a problem as we grow older, and pregnancy does affect it. There are diets for insulin resistance which I won't go into here, but you can look them up and see if you can tweak your food plan in any way.

I'll be interested to hear from you in a few weeks to find out if any of these suggestions helped you. Good luck!
Old 04-12-15, 10:27 AM  
TinierTina

"Insulin Resistance" — a.k.a. prediabetes, metabolic syndrome, Syndrome X, etc.

But do not get me started on my opinion that "prediabetes" is not an actual, diagnosable condition.

I am living proof that "prediabetes" does not exist; and, at most, it can be a precursor to mild diabetes long ways down the road. Insurance companies, medical communities and test strip manufacturers invented that "disease" of "prediabetes" ...

I am on a crazy diet now, however, that I will not share with my doctor; but not on any injectables ...

But who knows who profits from "prediabetes" ?

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 10:54 AM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheHat View Post
I had not, but as I was lifting heavier I was seeing more muscle, so I decided to amp it up with Body Beast. I'm not sure if my body sensed the strenuous workouts and just held on to the calories or what but I'm surprised I didn't lose a thing. Actually - that's not entirely true. In the first 6 weeks I lost 5 lbs, but then it all came flying back on.

LoveVA - I miss the Firms! While I wasn't losing a ton with them, at least I wasn't gaining!

I'm officially on a break. Today is Orthodox Easter, so while I'm not religious, the family is convening for a huge eating festival so I'll be partaking in that. Then tomorrow I'm going to rest for a week on the workouts and follow "The Plan" cleanse. I did all the shopping for it yesterday, I want to see if any of this is the aforementioned inflammation issues.

I also admit I got mildly derailed, I had been reading the Reddit forum xx/fitness and loving a lot of the advice there. I got lots of good info on nutrition and such, but I think that in general the women on that forum are about half my age and they have different goals - they want to get huge. More power to them, I love reading about their journeys but I guess that path isn't for me as my body doesn't react the same.

I'm loving the advice you all have given - at the very least to see that many of you have endured the same discouraging stretches of time and were able to overcome it makes me realize I'm not crazy!
I'm on xxfitness, so at least we have each other there.
Like some of the previous replies, you're probably not doing the right w/o for you. Maybe YBB or Ellen would work better for you., I got good results with YBB I just like the ones I got with power90 better.
As far as the d-word I have great success with the one named after a place in Florida.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body beast, fitbit success, no results, post pregnancy