Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-15, 07:29 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

That is a drag when you work so hard! Your blood results may definitely shed some light on things.
And some programs don't work for some people. I had very disappointing results from Drop 2 Sizes. I gained a bit of strength as the expense of sore joints but certainly didn't even lose any inches let alone lbs.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15, 07:47 PM  
at120

It sounds like Body Beast kinda did work for you. It's supposed to build strength and bulk (like a bodybuilder). In order to get lean, you probably need to consider doing more weight based cardio, like Tonique or the Jillian Michaels stuff.
at120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15, 07:54 PM  
Taiga

It would be interesting to know how much water weight you are carrying. I always take a rest week between phases and it's not unusual for me to drop several pounds suddenly. Water retention can be affected by the quality of your diet (salt & inflammatory food intake), sleep, level of conditioning, stress etc

Also, not sure exactly what you mean by "did everything they said in the nutrition guide". Body Beast is geared toward men and mass gaining. I would never follow that guide unless extra mass was my goal. It may be a hormonal issue or the program isn't a good fit for you, but it's worth taking a second look at your nutrition. If you are truly carrying extra fat (and not water), that can only come from calories. Why not experiment/rest? If you decide to do nothing for the next week, you may have the nice surprise of dropping a bunch of inches
Old 04-11-15, 08:31 PM  
Kitten

Look, I just did a round of the original power90 and lost weight and inches- and got crazy strong.
I'm 44. Your ob can suck it.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15, 08:46 PM  
slinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
It

Also, not sure exactly what you mean by "did everything they said in the nutrition guide". Body Beast is geared toward men and mass gaining. I would never follow that guide unless extra mass was my goal.

I found this interesting .. and another poster on page 1 who mentioned her brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
My son did Body Beast and he got the same results as you did, only he was delighted. I think its geared toward getting big and it sounds like it worked well for you in that regard.
slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15, 09:03 PM  
CatInTheHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
It would be interesting to know how much water weight you are carrying. I always take a rest week between phases and it's not unusual for me to drop several pounds suddenly. Water retention can be affected by the quality of your diet (salt & inflammatory food intake), sleep, level of conditioning, stress etc

Also, not sure exactly what you mean by "did everything they said in the nutrition guide". Body Beast is geared toward men and mass gaining. I would never follow that guide unless extra mass was my goal. It may be a hormonal issue or the program isn't a good fit for you, but it's worth taking a second look at your nutrition. If you are truly carrying extra fat (and not water), that can only come from calories. Why not experiment/rest? If you decide to do nothing for the next week, you may have the nice surprise of dropping a bunch of inches
Aah, ok. I didn't want to get too into the diet part of BB because I know that's forbidden here - which is why I waited so long to post about this. But, I ate the foods recommended and avoided the ones I was supposed to. Basically ate off the list. I did the calorie calculation using 5 different methods, and they all came in right at the same calories. I never did the "bulk" diet part, I did the "cut" diet part the entire time, but at slightly different protein/carb/fat ratios. It's tough to find legitimate advice online because everyone is a Beach Body coach! So they all tout the programs so that you'll buy from them I suppose.

But, I found a couple coaches who talked about how women can modify the program while not getting huge and bulky, and that was basically to calculate the calories the proper way as if you were trying to lose weight instead of bulk up. So the calorie number was what it would be in Phase 3, but split out at 50% carb, 25% protein and 25% fat. Except I did 30% protein and 20% fat, because I didn't want to get fat(ter.)

I guess the complaint is not so much with Body Beast so much as it's that my body just stalled and I feel like I got fatter without following the bulk diet provided, and that I really cut from what I normally ate, was at 1650 calories a day which was probably 500 less than I normally was eating, and I lost nada.

I'm just so discouraged.
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15, 10:10 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheHat View Post
....... and that I really cut from what I normally ate, was at 1650 calories a day which was probably 500 less than I normally was eating, and I lost nada.

I'm just so discouraged.
Hang in there (hugs)---we've all been there and you'll be riding on top the wave again. You might still have a nice surprise waiting if you take a rest week, especially if you combine it with relaxation (including some joy and relaxed eating). I'm not exaggerating when I say that I have lost several pounds/lot of inches during rest week.That swelling has been less pronounced with advancement, but my definition still really pops during those weeks. Good sleep and restoration time can do wonders.

You didn't waste your time. That muscle will provide excellent definition and burn calories faster when you switch to less workout time/more gentle activity. You hear so many people talk about how they miraculously slimmed down going from heavy weights to more gentle workouts. I think that base of muscle doesn't always get enough credit for what happens in that transition. People look great in the months following but then muscle mass can decline over several months. I think there is value in mixing up training. I believe your hard work will help you down the road. And it may be easier than you think if you just rest your mind and body.
Old 04-11-15, 10:46 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I haven't had kids, but I had similar frustrating results last summer when I did Drop Two Sizes. I wasn't thinking I would actually drop two sizes, I was just hoping to strengthen/firm up a bit. Instead, I actually gained several pounds and seemed more squishy all over.

That being said, strength work DOES seem beneficial to me in weight loss, but only when combined with other things. In the past few months, I have suddenly lost about 2-3 lbs. after my weight being at the exact same place for a LONG time (although I did drop the few lbs. I put on with D2S as soon as I stopped that program). So, what I have I been doing lately? Yoga! I started doing Yoga Teacher Training in January, and the only major thing I have been doing differently during the past few months is going to weekly yoga classes--and ones that are a bit more vinyasa-based than the ones I used to attend more on a monthly basis.

Btw, I'm 47 two weeks from tomorrow. I hate when people--especially medical professionals!--imply that becoming less healthy/fit is just a natural part of aging.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 01:21 AM  
mizvespa

Have you thought about trying Tracy Anderson or Ballet Beautiful? They both have a series cinching and trimming effect. Also, neither workouts increase my appetite.
mizvespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 07:26 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post

Btw, I'm 47 two weeks from tomorrow. I hate when people--especially medical professionals!--imply that becoming less healthy/fit is just a natural part of aging.
Hi CatintheHat!

I agree with this 100%. Ignore your OB. It sounds to me like Body Beast just didn't work for you, aesthetically. I hate to sound like I'm proselytizing, but have you ever thought about doing some classic Firms? I mean, aren't you partially responsible for my current Firm obsession? Maybe it's time for me to return the favor.

Anyway, I am smaller, and at the same, stronger than I've been since my rowing days and I'm 45. I had my twins at 41. I lost the pregnancy weight quickly with little effort but I packed on 25 lbs when my daughter became ill at 5 months old. Once she was done with treatment, I started doing mostly Cathe, but I couldn't shift the weight at all. I just started to look more stocky. I'm only 5'2", so it doesn't take much weight to make me look boxy and thick. I didn't just accept it because I was in my 40s (which is not old, by the way) and perimenopausal.

My Brazil Butt Lift rotation jumpstarted the weight loss (also following the BBL eating plan) and then I got into the Firm and the rest is history. I went from 138 lbs to 118 lbs today and I've been holding steady there since November. I'm very happy with how I look and I haven't been able to say that for decades. I also love how strong I've become. I still do Cathe, but only occasionally and not several times a week like before. So that's why I'm thinking that Body Beast just isn't the right thing for you. I think I've hit on the combination that works for me: strength work 3 times a week, classic Firms, Tonique, Tracie Long, some Cathe and Michelle D cardio, some Jari strength and then the occasional workout from others (e.g. Goudeau, Ilaria Powerstrikes).

We can't talk about diet here, but I also changed my eating, which I also feel had a significant impact on my results. If you want any details, you can PM me, but overall I'm at a 40/30/30, carb/protein/fat and it seems to be working.

I feel confident that you can find the right workout program that will help you attain your physical and aesthetic goals!
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body beast, fitbit success, no results, post pregnancy